Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 11:22 AM

28,988 posts, read 30,398,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
There are different levels of FGM that can happen. This can include removable of the clitoris - the very thing that gives women sexual pleasure, the removal of any outer labia including scraping off the vaginal lips, and the sewing shut of the vaginal opening, whilst leaving a very small hole for menstrual blood.

Often, the girls are sewn too tightly and deadly infections can happen when vaginal discharge and menstrual blood is unable to escape.

Most men that are circumcised, not all, but most, go on to have healthy sex lives. Women that have been mutilated, do not.

So it is not comparable over all due to the extreme nature of female genital mutilation.

As far as I’m concerned, when you’re talking about female genital mutilation, male circumcision should not even be part of the conversation. Now, listen very carefully before you shout "gender equality".

If we compare the two, we lose the horror of what female genital mutilation really is. That argument is dangerous , because to compare the two is to diminish and disregard the real harm that is currently being done to millions of little girls around the world.

This said, Thousand of men are speaking out against the sexual mutilation that they didn’t consent to, which I certainly DO respect their opinion and their voice certainly deserve to be HEARD. However, please understand male circumcision is ANOTHER topic. When we address the issue of FGM, we do not need to include male circumcision, period.

Disagreements about male circumcision is one thing. I can respect someone choosing differently or /and I can certainly respect people who say there are zero medical benefits. But this is NOT the point here. The point is, If the man thinks his bride must be mutilated, then HE is not marriageable. HE is a monster! Get your daughters away!

We simply must keep yelling this from the rooftops. We who live in the amazing comfort of America must speak up for those who are being hurt elsewhere in the world (and now even here at home, in America) rather than closing our eyes. There are many liberals, conservatives, feminists, and non feminists, males, and females who are against FGM because it is a human rights violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The charge for neonatal circumcision is more like $250 to $500. Who is paying $2500 to $5000 for it?
Depends on the facility you have it done, and the pre and post visits I included, not including any complications. Regardless, it's extra $. It doesn't matter if it's 500, or 2500. You missed the point.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:29 AM

28,988 posts, read 30,398,851 times
my opinion is, this is so totally barbaric...and should be against the law....

This is a primitive culture we're dealing with, primitive religious beliefs.....

Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Why do some people must talk about Male circumcision when the topic is clearly about FGM?!
Because it does cause alarm. If we aren't going to prevent FGM and leave it up to the states that leaves room for some to practice it. If we do that then it also leaves room for it to become some kind of accepted procedure in America just like MGM has become.

You could use some of the same lame excuses for FGM as we do for MGM. It causes concern because of how widely accepted MGM has become when it's an assault on boys. Especially knowing how it first came to be practiced here, to prevent sexual urges.

You really can't talk about one without the other because MGM serves as an example to those wanting FGM as a chance to have it legally done here. I can't understand why some don't see the need to address the two together. They use MGM as an excuse.

Why do we allow one without the other? Well, now we just might allow both. If MGM wasn't allowed then I bet FGM wouldn't even be in question. As I said, they use MGM as an excuse to try to do FGM.
This is the excuses they give for FGM. "It is done for conformity, and to preserve a woman's virginity for her husband on their wedding night." It's just as unrealistic and they don't see it as something horrible like you do or there would be no questions about it.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 11-28-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-28-2018, 11:50 AM

28,714 posts, read 18,925,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Intention doesn't matter when you are performing unnecessary surgery on healthy babies and young children. The result is the same. The parts are cut off and someone gave consent to do this because they wanted to.
The result is not the same. I explained that. Neither the intention nor the result is the same.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,720,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
A. FGM is not a religious practice. It is a cultural practice. Christians have performed FGM, too.

B. No one is attempting to "bend to" someone's will. The judge in this case dismissed the charges, because he believes the state, and not the federal government, has jurisdiction in this matter.
It's been my observation that people of all religions frequently do things, in the name of their favorite supreme being. The fact that their holy book may or may not even mention the issue doesn't seem to matter much. It's their interpretation of said holy book, or worse yet believing the interpretation of someone else who professes to "know" what "god/allah/etc..." want us to do, and is of course "commanded" to instruct you in the proper way of such things.

Quite honestly, most of the the time we should probably be grateful that religious people don't do all the things their holy books say they should or shouldn't.

What is heard is much more important that what was actually said. Many times those two don't mesh. My point with tying FGM to Islam is simply an observation....who's doing it ? Is it the local Baptist church promoting this practice to parents with female kids ? Haven't heard that one yet. Presently, in this country at least, it always seem to involve those of the islamic faith. No ?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 PM

19,801 posts, read 12,354,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The result is not the same. I explained that. Neither the intention nor the result is the same.
Cutting a part means the part is removed and gone forever. That is what I meant and it is pretty clear logic.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:29 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,925,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Because it does cause alarm. If we aren't going to prevent FGM and leave it up to the states that leaves room for some to practice it. If we do that then it also leaves room for it to become some kind of accepted procedure in America just like MGM has become.

You could use some of the same lame excuses for FGM as we do for MGM. It causes concern because of how widely accepted MGM has become when it's an assault on boys. Especially knowing how it first came to be practiced here, to prevent sexual urges.

You really can't talk about one without the other because MGM serves as an example to those wanting FGM as a chance to have it legally done here. I can't understand why some don't see the need to address the two together. They use MGM as an excuse.

Why do we allow one without the other? Well, now we just might allow both. If MGM wasn't allowed then I bet FGM wouldn't even be in question. As I said, they use MGM as an excuse to try to do FGM.
This is the excuses they give for FGM. "It is done for conformity, and to preserve a woman's virginity for her husband on their wedding night." It's just as unrealistic and they don't see it as something horrible like you do or there would be no questions about it.
No. That's as if in the early 1960s we tried to tie an affirmative action requirement to voting rights. The Voting Rights Act would never have been passed.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:20 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,111,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We can hope but I see quite a bit of sympathy for letting Islam be Islam.
Bigotry alert !

How about I present some statistics of FGM in CHRISTIAN countries in Africa?

Old 11-28-2018, 03:25 PM

2,362 posts, read 782,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The difference is something that can be judged by the effect. I haven't met a circumcised man who didn't still think orgasms were wonderful, and it's not the purpose of a circumcision to make orgasms any less wonderful.

The purpose of female genital mutilation is to inhibit the woman's sexual availability and pleasure, and it does that. The purpose and effect are evil from the start, and such a difference does make a difference.
So what do you say when a woman who was circumcised enjoys sex, has lots of sex (fertility of women in these areas are higher than in the west), and pushes for her daughter to get circumcised? Because that's reality.

You think American western men are the only one's who "like" that they were circumcised? Are you really that naive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies