Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 12:40 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It always was a stylish look....

I grew up up the street from June Lockhart's cousins (Lockhart played the mom in Lost in Space), and part of that time was while the show was on the air. We used to watch the show on the TV in their family room. One of their spare bedrooms was the 'Lost in Space room'...decorated with memorabilia (the house had five bedrooms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
By the time they have boobs they are adolescents and choose they own clothing anyways. Some people may think they are "cute", but I am trying to point out the physiological and psychological effects on children. I already mentioned the symbolism, I'd rather put a flower on a little girl than a cross, or some cartoon rather than a skull. But even physiologically, Will people let an 8 year old wear heels because she wants to? When they says let the kids decide, they actually mean: let the advertiser decide.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It's wonderful to know that Mickey and Minnie, Hello Kitty, and Spiderman have become so popular no assistance from ads aimed at children.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:35 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Thanks for sharing your wisdom. It's wonderful to know that Mickey and Minnie, Hello Kitty, and Spiderman have become so popular no assistance from ads aimed at children.

At least cartoons build up a story line that children can relate to [so yes even cartoons are advertising] but to directly advertise to them crosses, black/white, skulls, and who knows what other things that have nothing to do with children, is just too much.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
At least cartoons build up a story line that children can relate to [so yes even cartoons are advertising] but to directly advertise to them crosses, black/white, skulls, and who knows what other things that have nothing to do with children, is just too much.
Wait. Are you suggesting that children cannot wear crosses? Hmmm. I guess that cross necklace I sent my cousin's toddler on the occasion of her baptism was a bad idea.

And what's the deal with forbidding black/white? Since when is that verboten?

Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Pathetic. Nothing else needs be said.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I grew up up the street from June Lockhart's cousins (Lockhart played the mom in Lost in Space), and part of that time was while the show was on the air. We used to watch the show on the TV in their family room. One of their spare bedrooms was the 'Lost in Space room'...decorated with memorabilia (the house had five bedrooms).
I'm so old I would have written that June Lockhart was Timmy's mom in Lassie.

I can't wait until gender neutral clothes become all the rage. People will be able to throw their own gender reveal party when they turn 21.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:59 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Wait. Are you suggesting that children cannot wear crosses? Hmmm. I guess that cross necklace I sent my cousin's toddler on the occasion of her baptism was a bad idea.

In my closet, at least half of my graphic t-shirts (usual top of choice) are black. More are grey, brown and blue. I am happy to see steps outside of automatically assigning what colors and styles kids (and adults, for that matter) should wear. The two color stereotypes used to be switched, btw. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...-pink-1370097/

I am a woman who is not into pink, frilly, etc. I find many trendy fashion styles to be odd. I am happy to go along more with what my kids like, too. One girl is more casual like me overall, and the other is into changing into different dresses throughout the day, to my amusement.

If you don't like her line (I cant say I am especially into it), then don't buy it. The market will bear out what people actually wish to wear, in the end, and I don't think we will all end up in generic silver suits or anything.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:09 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

There are different types of crosses, I assume you are talking one that relates to Christianity, not an upside down cross; even swastikas are a variation of a cross. There is a reason why wearing black is preferred by some types of rock genre and emo culture. Wearing black and grey is something that adults started doing relatively recently. Babies and children should start life by being exposed to love, colors, representations of life in different forms (flowers, sports, etc.), stories that develops the imagination. Not gloomy colors and death.

Last edited by thelogo; 11-25-2018 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 05:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
In my closet, at least half of my graphic t-shirts (usual top of choice) are black. More are grey, brown and blue. I am happy to see steps outside of automatically assigning what colors and styles kids (and adults, for that matter) should wear. The two color stereotypes used to be switched, btw. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...-pink-1370097/

I am a woman who is not into pink, frilly, etc. I find many trendy fashion styles to be odd. I am happy to go along more with what my kids like, too. One girl is more casual like me overall, and the other is into changing into different dresses throughout the day, to my amusement.

If you don't like her line (I cant say I am especially into it), then don't buy it. The market will bear out what people actually wish to wear, in the end, and I don't think we will all end up in generic silver suits or anything.
I'm fine with the clothing line. My youngest is finishing high school, so my kids have been choosing their own clothes for many years. I never put my foot down about what they wore other than for formal occasions, and they made some interesting choices over the years. Right now, my teenager is going through a suit stage. Yes, he wears a business suit to school at least once a week and has convinced others in his social circle to wear suits, too. Going to war over clothing is silly. When my kids were younger, I sometimes rolled my eyes when they came down the stairs in the morning, but come on, it's just clothes.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-25-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 05:26 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post

This goes beyond boys wearing pink. There is a concerted effort from a segment of the population to try to erase gender differences and norms, regardless how many of those differences and norms are actually rooted in biology and regardless how well many of those traditional gender norms support and help maintain a civilization. It's a thoroughly political movement, not an organic one.

You are presumably a grown adult who can make such decisions about what you want to wear. The worst thing you can do as a parent is make your kid an oddball who other kids don't like to hang around. I say this as a high school teacher whose wife teaches elementary. We see this all the time: a parent screws up her kid and makes that kid an oddball. If your son goes to a school where khakis and dress shorts are the norm, dress him in khakis and dress shirts. If you really want to defy The Man, defy The Man yourself in whatever way you decide to rebel. I can assure you that there is zero evidence that wearing clothing you don't like in a school or work setting does any psychological harm to your child or to yourself. There is, however, plenty of evidence that making your kid an oddball can do psychological harm.

Right now, my wife has a 3rd grade student whose mom dresses him up in skirts and dresses. As is typical in these cases, the mother is all screwed up - drugs, psychological issues - and the father knows it's wrong but is too weak to put a stop to it. Consequently, the little boy is alienated in vital ways from his classmates. All because the mother, like so many of these parents, is too cowardly to simply cross-dress herself rather than selfishly visiting her issues on her kid and living vicariously through him. Plus, it's attractive to narcissistic parents to have kids who are "different."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies