Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM

29,617 posts, read 9,835,387 times

Advertisements

Six key things to know about Trump's border wall speech

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...order-security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 PM

I just commented about this in another thread. Something I think worth adding to this one...

I would have never imagined Pelosi saying what she did about Trump's manhood, the POTUS! Not sure I've seen the likes from a veteran political leader before. Except that we suddenly have a POTUS who makes that sort of exchange seem normal!

We now have a POTUS who is caught on tape very matter of factly explaining what women will let you do to them if you are famous. I need not get into all the rest this POTUS has very uniquely infused into our world of politics today. Again like nothing I've seen before.

Enough already that we're all becoming all the more accepting of reality TV show antics in the White House, in our government, to the point of no return, no bottom. This too is what I think Trump is doing to/for America like no POTUS has done before, and not a good thing!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM

20,258 posts, read 9,181,532 times
A few billion and this all goes away.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
A few billion and this all goes away.
What all goes away?

Illegal immigration? Trump? All our problems...?

"Politics is the art of ambiguity mixed with sleight of hand."

Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,017,022 times
He was little hyperbolic with the "Mexico will pay for it" nonsense but I commend the guy for actually following through on what he promised during his campaign. The rest of these career, retired in place- political whack jobs dont fix anything. They just provide countless millions of false narratives while NOTHING gets done.

In an era where all people do is talk like we have today, its refreshing to see someone like trump take ACTION. Trump isn't the best president we have ever had but he's far better than do nothing Obama who sit there for 8 years while the country crumbled around him.

America needs less talkers and more doers

Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
He was little hyperbolic with the "Mexico will pay for it" nonsense but I commend the guy for actually following through on what he promised during his campaign. The rest of these career, retired in place- political whack jobs dont fix anything. They just provide countless millions of false narratives while NOTHING gets done.

In an era where all people do is talk like we have today, its refreshing to see someone like trump take ACTION. Trump isn't the best president we have ever had but he's far better than do nothing Obama who sit there for 8 years while the country crumbled around him.

America needs less talkers and more doers
Consider how decidedly biased your comment reads...

You credit Trump for pushing his campaign agenda (warts and all) as if he is the only politician who has done anything of the sort. Obama pushed his campaign agenda (to get out of Iraq and ultimately the ACA), for the most part successfully even if not perfect, and in your mind Trump is the wonderful exception ACTION figure? Why is that?

Never mind you say? That Trump promised a wall that Mexico would pay for? That little detail we're supposed to ignore? The billions needed for this wall is why we're in the mess we're in now! Why Trump has shut down our government. Why we're all the more divided about a wall in the first place, and how to pay for it.

Fact is, Trump hasn't accomplished much in the way of his Wall promise, other than display some pretty shameful brinkmanship. Others have accomplished -- got things done -- in far more significant tangible ways than you want to similarly credit them for. Why? Because you are supportive of Trump's agenda, not the accomplishments of those you likely did not support.

All to point out yet again, why we believe what we do despite all the facts, reason and logic to the contrary...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html

You are not alone! Confirmation bias is an epidemic in this country! A shortfall of human nature in general.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Not sure anyone else cares to follow along with these ongoing developments to add to this thread, but here's another good one I think (as we are well into the longest government shutdown in our history)...

"Trump’s replacement foreign policy crew likewise shares a startling ignorance of the world beyond America. Their views and prejudices are likely to have seriously negative impacts during Trump’s remaining time in the White House. As one US commentator put it, “Lincoln had a team of rivals; Trump has a team of morons”.

Donald Trump’s ship of fools is heading for the rocks in Venezuela

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nicolas-maduro

Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Something else to think about as I sign off from this forum this morning...

Dear Mr President,

While many of us disagree on ideology and values, we agree on practical things like obeying the constitution and not letting big corporations and the wealthy run everything.

Your 35-day government shutdown was a senseless abuse of power. So too your “national emergency” to build your wall with money Congress refused to appropriate.

When you passed your tax bill you promised our paychecks would rise by an average of $4,000 but we never got the raise. Our employers used the tax savings to buy back their shares of stock and give themselves raises instead.

Then you fooled us into thinking we were getting a cut by lowering the amounts withheld from our 2018 paychecks. We know that now because we’re getting smaller tax refunds.

At the same time, many big corporations aren’t paying a dime in taxes. Worse yet, they’re getting refunds.

For example, GM is paying zilch and claiming a $104m refund on $11.8bn of profits. Amazon is paying no taxes and claiming a $129m refund on profits of $11.2bn. (This is after New York offered it $3bn to put its second headquarters there.)

They aren’t breaking any tax laws or regulations. That’s because they made the tax laws and regulations. You gave them a free hand.

You’re supposed to be working for us, not for giant corporations. But they’re doing better than ever, as are their top executives and biggest investors. Yet nothing has trickled down. We’re getting shafted.

Which is why more than 75% of us (including 45% who call ourselves Republicans) support Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s proposed 70% tax on dollars earned in excess of $10m a year.

And over 60% of us support Elizabeth Warren’s proposed 2% annual tax on households with a new worth of $50m or more.

You’ve also shown you don’t have a clue about healthcare. You promised us something better than the Affordable Care Act but all you’ve done is whittle it back.

A big reason we gave Democrats control of the House last November was your threat to eliminate protection for people with pre-existing conditions.

Are you even aware that 70% of us now favor Medicare for all?

Most of us don’t pay much attention to national policy but we pay a lot of attention to home economics. You’ve made our own home economics worse.

We’ll give you official notice you’re fired on 3 November 2020, if not before. Until then, you can keep the house and perks, but you’re toast.

Respectfully,

America.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rminated-trump

Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Add to the list...

More news like this, coming from Trump's own inside circle...

Donald Trump 'a racist, a ******' who committed crimes as president – Cohen

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ny-latest-news

Seems that swamp we all hoped might get drained has become all the more full and dangerous with all the more swamp creatures, but at least some are ending up in jail!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:55 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect there have been similar threads started before, about how Trump is making America "great again" or maybe not. Of course just about every thread is filled with all sorts of meaningless comments about Trump, for or against. No doubt this thread will suffer the same fate, but it would be nice to actually quantify what Trump is doing for/to America for better or worse. For example a physics professor friend of mine sent this to me this morning...

"The elephant in the room, of course, is the tremendous shift in United States politics and, specifically, the country's attitude towards foreigners and non-citizens since early 2017."

America Is No Longer Attracting The Top Minds In Physics

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#3a288d0024a8

Just for starters. Any other good, bad or ugly FACTS to add along these lines?

Yes, I have one. Trump never said nor never wanted Americans to have to wait in bread lines to get bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies