Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,505,641 times

Advertisements

Why does the subject line call out Pelosi? You do know that she is a Rep for a district and not a Senator for a state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No the answer does not lie "between the methods", whatever that means.

The supplemental poverty measure is more accurate, period. Not taking costs into account, and only taking income into account, only tells half the story.
Ok. I drove a lexus, owned my own home (by myself) and was in the poverty category by your calculations.

I really don't think we want to be handing out food stamps to people like me.

(and as far as I know, that's not done)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM

29,636 posts, read 16,644,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Also the highest in income/wealth inequality.
You post that as if its a good point.

inequality is the distance between the top and the bottom.

by definition, Mississippi is better only because the ceiling is so low, not because the citizens as a whole are better off.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:04 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,283,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok. I drove a lexus, owned my own home (by myself) and was in the poverty category by your calculations.

Again with the anecdotes. Your personal experience has no bearing on what would be considered a good statistic. You are one data point among millions.

This is not the hill you want to die on.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Again with the anecdotes. Your personal experience has no bearing on what would be considered a good statistic. You are one data point among millions.

This is not the hill you want to die on.
Of course, and there are hundreds of thousand of others that fall within that span of being computed as poor when they are not. We used to use these numbers at my work in part.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:08 PM

29,636 posts, read 16,644,732 times
Quote:

(and as far as I know, that's not done)
I define poverty as simply having a minimalist lifestyle, and your entire monthly income being used to pay bills.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I define poverty as simply having a minimalist lifestyle, and your entire monthly income being used to pay bills.
Yeah, but by that definition you could be a billionaire and still in poverty. Or at least I could.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,791,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
It also has a whole bunch of the richest people in the world. It's a microcosm of America.
Its high degree of wealth inequality sets it apart from the rest of America. California is moving toward a situation more typical of Latin America and Asia, which I'm sure has much more to do with its demographics than with Pelosi.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:19 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,283,617 times
Quote:
Of course, and there are hundreds of thousand of others that fall within that span of being computed as poor when they are not. We used to use these numbers at my work in part.
So what? Are you saying the government calculated the two poverty rates incorrectly? And that you have some special knowledge that would be more accurate? The supplemental rate takes into account situations like yours, and also situations where people are rightly in poverty not because of low incomes (by national standards) but because of high costs (by national standards).

The question is whether the definition of poverty should include costs as well as income.

Anecdotes don't disprove statistics. You are taking the wrong tack here. If you want to argue that the official poverty rate (income alone) is a better measure than the supplemental rate (income and costs) then you need to make an argument about why costs can be ignored *for all people*, not just for your own case.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 PM

30,778 posts, read 19,433,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Also the highest in income/wealth inequality.
Yep, Cali is a world leader in income inequality. They really need to implement a 60% income tax to confiscate from their wealthy and redistribute to illegals and the homeless.

Why not a 80% corporate tax to make those ba#terds pay for their corruption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies