Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times

Advertisements

Seems to me we believe everything the government tells us everytime we go into these type of religious compounds or communities.

Why is that?

They haven't "found" this 16 yr girl which was the "reason" they went in there to begin with. Now I dont agree with everyone's religious beliefs or the way some people live but individuals have rights. Also the Constitution allows freedom of religion whatever that individual believes. I wouldn't be surprised if the government thinks they have guns or haven't paid taxes. Either way I think this is about something more then what the government says is the problem. Now while these abuses haven't been confirmed and I dont have all the "facts". I will say if some of the abuses were taken place we should act. But, I grow concerned the Government again is abusing it's power on people. Also if an individual has done this to another individual that should be worked out thru the law with those individuals not the entire community of people and they shouldnt be arrested and removed from their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
It's been documented that groups like this basically enslave young girls. Force them to marry and have sex with nasty old geezers that would be locked up in jail, if they weren't hiding behind their "religion". I find the whole thing repulsive and disgusting, I hope justice will be served.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/05/us...ef=todayspaper

and here is the guy who founded the place that was raided, another upstanding citizen, huh?

Warren Jeffs Sued; Salt Lake Tribune Jul 30 2004

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Warren Jeffs has been in prison for awhile now..... Update. Saints under the cloud of their sinners - World - theage.com.au

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Warren Jeffs has been in prison for awhile now..... Update. Saints under the cloud of their sinners - World - theage.com.au

Great, I hope he stays there for a long time. Nothing worse than slimey men that are abusing young girls in the guise of religion.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-07-2008, 12:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Seems to me we believe everything the government tells us everytime we go into these type of religious compounds or communities.

Why is that?

They haven't "found" this 16 yr girl which was the "reason" they went in there to begin with. Now I dont agree with everyone's religious beliefs or the way some people live but individuals have rights. Also the Constitution allows freedom of religion whatever that individual believes. I wouldn't be surprised if the government thinks they have guns or haven't paid taxes. Either way I think this is about something more then what the government says is the problem. Now while these abuses haven't been confirmed and I dont have all the "facts". I will say if some of the abuses were taken place we should act. But, I grow concerned the Government again is abusing it's power on people. Also if an individual has done this to another individual that should be worked out thru the law with those individuals not the entire community of people and they shouldnt be arrested and removed from their homes.
It's true that the Federal government has come under suspicion when going after religious groups like these due to Waco and of course Ruby Ridge (which lets not forget happened under Clintons watch).....and I understand that.

I would have to disagree with you about removing the entire poplace of a stronghold like the Jeffs, because without doing so it would be very easy to conceal the person that made the initial hot line call for help. As far as freedom of religion, that rule is moot when the religion is question has been suspected of inflicting harm on its adherents.
Statutory rape is a crime.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
No way my government always tells the truth and I trust them always!!!!

There will be only one story and that is the way they like it.

Correct indeed my friend. So what can we do to convince others that they have been had?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It's true that the Federal government has come under suspicion when going after religious groups like these due to Waco and of course Ruby Ridge (which lets not forget happened under Clintons watch).....and I understand that.

I would have to disagree with you about removing the entire poplace of a stronghold like the Jeffs, because without doing so it would be very easy to conceal the person that made the initial hot line call for help. As far as freedom of religion, that rule is moot when the religion is question has been suspected of inflicting harm on its adherents.
Statutory rape is a crime.

I agree that Statutory rape is a crime and I also would like some facts and evidence on this case. I don't think they are concealing any girl and I think this just an excuse for them look for weapons and other stuff to shut the place down with out real having the public being informed about that goes on at this location.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Default Convince the others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Correct indeed my friend. So what can we do to convince others that they have been had?

Well seeing how often the government lies it shouldnt be to hard to keep showing the truth when it comes out. Thank god for the internet. Of course it won't be long before they lock that down to. To much free speech and free thought and dialogue on the internet, can't have that.
Here is something to think about..... have you noticed people are always getting sick... with the a cold more then usual and it lasts longer.
Hopefully we find enough people who still believe in freedom and America and honesty. Without those people evil is powerless if the good are not afraid.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Authorities stormed the temple of a Texas ranch that's home to a rogue Mormon sect Saturday, as part of a search for victims of physical and sexual abuse, police said.

Police called in ambulances and other emergency vehicles as they prepared to search the polygamist group's temple, officials said.

Police storm temple at polygamist ranch - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/06/texas.ranch/index.html - broken link)

I believe this is called "law enforcement."

Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

Why is that?

They are facts....There have been numerous documented cases of abuse in these so called religious communities, and many members charged over the years. By the way don't you think the children in these closed societies ( cults, not religion ) should have rights too?

Bountiful: Inside B.C's Polygamist Breakaway Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies