Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Would you rather me not be insured?

What would you do if you were in my situation?

You have just seen a perfect example of the selfishness some people exhibit. They really DO NOT CARE if you have healthcare or not, they wouldn't care if you lived or died. These are heartless, self centered people who will blow their money on non essential fluff, but they bit** and moan because they have to pay a little more for something as important as healthcare !

One of my own sons was complaining about how his insurance rates have gone up, but I reminded him he makes huge money, has 6 cars, two boats, and lives in a condo where the prices begin at a million and a half. How shortsighted of him to blow money on all of that, and then complain about taking care of his own healthcare.

I am glad you have healthcare, and without Obama fighting tooth and nail for it, millions like you would be left out in the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:28 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Then another 8k the next year and the next after that if something spans that long.
Yep, but it beats the alternative.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The difference is that in health care, hospitals are required to provide service regardless of insurance or ability to pay.

Car insurance for example, it is driving privilege is tied to insurance.

For health care, health care isn't tied to insurance. If you make hospitals required to provide service, we should make health care insurance (or ability to pay for it) required. If you want optional health care insurance (or proof of ability to pay), then hospitals too should have the right to turn away the dying and sick.

Honestly... I'd be ok with the draconian approach of letting people die if they were irresponsible to make sure health care costs can be covered.
The EMTLA, which became law in 1986, requires ER to stabilize patients, regardless if the patient is insured or has the ability to pay at the point of service. The requirement however, does not absolve the patient from paying for service.

There is a huge difference between stabilizing and treatment. For example, the ER does not treat Cancer.

At least 5 states, Indiana,Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri and Washington, now require state Medicaid and allow private insurers to deny benefits when the ER is used for routine/ non- emergent healthcare. Instead a 24/7 nurse line is available to help people distinguish between routine, non- emergent healthcare and a true emergency.

The objective is to substantially decrease inappropriate, repeat avoidable ER use for routine healthcare.

The ACA continues to allow states tremendous latitude to determine what the state and private insurers will pay for, including medications. Your medication may be covered in one state and not in another.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If a person didn't make sure that their health care costs were covered either by assets or insurance, they are being irresponsible. Just as irresponsible as driving without liability insurance.
Effective 2019, the individual mandate for healthcare insurance has been eliminated.

With the exception of NH, all states require a defined minimum of liability insurance for cars. Some states define it as no fault while others also mandate uninsured motorist insurance. NH is the exception in that they waive the requirement when the owner has sufficient financial resources to cover the exposure.

Auto liability insurance is sometimes misunderstood. It exists for the benefit of other people’s injuries and property for accidents you cause. It does not cover the insured party’s auto or injury.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
And how about this question, Trumpees ? If Obamacare is so bad, where is the "big , beautiful healthcare plan" your leader promised you ? Where is it ? He made it so easy, "we are going to repeal and replace", he said, (he also said something about a wall, too )

Your boy has been in there almost two years, TWO YEARS, enough time to craft and sell a better package to Congress. I thought he was the deal maker, big time negotiator ? How come he can't get this one little thing done that he sold all of you ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-VTbt-i_b4

If the GOP can't come up with a better, cheaper plan, then don't blame Obama, blame Trump and the Republicans, they control it all, and should be able to do whatever they want.

Like Trump said "Who knew healthcare would be so hard ?"

Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's interesting. There is an arch conservative (white) guy here in my town who had no insurance and refused to participate in Obama care. About two months ago he had a full blown stroke. About 10 days in ICU and acute care, 2 weeks in rehab, now outpatient therapy. Go fund me has been able to raise about 1/15th of his total bill.

This guy is likely not going to be able to go back to work and owes way over six figures for his health care which he will never pay off.

But that'll never happen to a you though. Right?
Dependent on the size of the bill, the providers may lien his property and/ or wages, should he be able to return to work

Chances are, if he has a primary home with equity in it or other liquid assets, he will file for bankruptcy- stiff the healthcare providers- you know, free load off the system.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Hopefully the Trump administration will make it better for those who were financially harmed by some of the terms of the ACA.
I wouldn't be too hopeful about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
They could have passed a single payer system, they could have given us a system like Austraklia's or Sweden or Norway.
How do you figure that? Not even the Democratic majority at the time would have approved a single-payer system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The ONLY people who like it are those that are getting it subsidized. But their tune will change when they have to fork out that huge deductible.
After I no longer qualified for a subsidy, my premium was still lower than what my former employer had been offering - for the same plan.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
$8000.00 deductible and you pay under $1.00 for premiums. I say BS!

Quote:
Just wanted to say that I am very thankful for it.

I had great health insurance for 25 years through my employer. After I moved to a different state and got a new job that couldn't offer me health insurance because of geographic limitations, my only affordable option was to enroll in an ACA plan. It worked out great for me. I make 17/hour and my monthly premium is under $1.00. The deductible is high ($8,000), but regular yearly doctor visits and mammograms are covered, and generic prescriptions are fairly reasonable.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
yeah tell us how great when you have to go to the emergency room and pay that 3900.00 up front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I'm grateful for the ACA, too. My premium is around $120/month, with a $3,900 deductible.

Thanks, Obama!

Old 12-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
There is no Marketplace or non-Marketplace health insurance that isn't a crappy deal. Link to one that isn't.
If one has no claim, I guess one could view all insurance as a “crappy deal”.

If I don’t die, my term life insurance is a “crappy deal”.

If I don’t cause an auto accident that injury other people or property, my liability insurance is a “ crappy deal”.

If I am not involved in an auto accident that damages or totals my car, my collision/ comprehensive insurance is a “crappy deal”.

If my house is not burglarized, my homeowner’s Insurance is a “ crappy deal”.

If my house is not damaged by fire or weather, my homeowner’s Insurance is a “crappy deal”.

If a guest is not injured on my property, my homeowner’s Insurance is a “ crappy deal”.

Most reasonable people choose to transfer these risks to a third party ( insurer) in exchange for a premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies