Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are hate crime hoaxes, hate crimes themselves?
Yes: these hoaxes are often crimes that target specific groups for shame, harrasment, or intimidation 17 70.83%
Kind of: it shouldn't be a hate crime, but should be prosecuted more aggressively 2 8.33%
No: I don't see a connection 2 8.33%
Really No: If anything prosecute these hoaxers less so as to not discourage real hate crime victims from coming forward 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised that the people who complain the most about minorities are among the biggest opponents of hate crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. We need to eliminate the idea of "hate crime" since we now can see it was just the first step on the road to speech and thought control. If you don't see that you're blind.

Crime is crime and we already have various degrees of things. We don't need to add on top "how does this person really feel about people like you?" to the mix. It's too wishy washy.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Yes they should be punished more harshly. Those who say no don't know anything about American history and its long history of ugly, violent oppression of non-whites. But calling it history is a misnomer because we are still living with it today. Blacks are still getting executed by racist cops every single day for no reason other than that they are black.
And there it is. "Hate crimes" are a special designation to punish white people.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
No. Beating someone into the hospital is always a hate crime.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
There was a recent attack on two Latinos here in Utah recently, by a man shouting "I hate Mexicans" and "I'm here to kill a Mexican." I've read articles in our paper about how horrible it is that the attacker can't be prosecuted for a "hate crime" under Utah law. He'll be charged with aggravated assault and some other weapons and drug charges.

This got me wondering why "hate crimes" are sometimes treated differently. If the attacker was angry about something else, something other than them being Mexican, why would that matter? Should the reason for the attack make a difference in what the charges are?

Here is the story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/2183373002/
A crime is a crime. There’s no hate crime just like there’s no hate speech.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Punished more harshly....

More harshly than what?

"Hate crime" is just another way for some people to push their agenda onto others. A crime is a crime is a crime. I don't think there's a single crime out there where people are beat up, murdered, or otherwise attacked that came out of anything but hate.

It's bs, and the left knows it.
That is my thinking, and largely why I started this thread.

Yet intent does matter in some areas of the law, which is another reason for my wondering about this topic.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
hate crimes need to go, a crime is a crime... whether hate is involved is immaterial

Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A crime is a crime. There’s no hate crime just like there’s no hate speech.
I would disagree that "there's no hate speech." In the article I quoted, the attacker was shouting "I hate Mexicans." That would pretty much be the epitome of hate speech.

(I'm not saying there should be no 1st amendment protection protection for hate speech, btw, just confused that you could think there is no such thing).

Old 12-03-2018, 07:35 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
there really is no such thing as a hate crime. those laws are put in place to appease minorities

Old 12-03-2018, 07:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I was pro-hate crimes until seeing how lopsided they are. I think we need to get rid of the phrase altogether.

As for hate speech, not a fan of that phrase either, because it's also very lopsided and leads to the justification for silencing some people. If hate speech exists, why are politicians like Maxine Waters immune? If you take the things she's said and have them coming out of any other mouth and it would be called hate speech. And anyone who denies that is a damn liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies