Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 03:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,405,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, this "con" agrees with you. It is a private business, they get to make those decisions. What gets me is those who were part of the uproar over the cake baker are now turning the other side and saying, 'but it's a private business'. They are both private businesses, and neither one of them has to accept anyone.

Evil hateful moron (and by this im referring to infowars) is not a protected class. Thus facebook can ban them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If that's the schtick everyone wants to go with then a law needs to be made that political entities can't use private resources to inform the public if they aren't going to be fair and they can control what we see and don't see. How about a new FCC law that includes that? If you want to host political entities you have to be fair to all by supplying the server space to all sides or get fined/shut down. Otherwise you are nothing more than a propaganda outfit for your cause and nothing more.
Obama tried to that - declare that the internet was a public utility. That would have done what you’re asking for.

FWIW, I supported that. Did you?

Given that the people who opposed that wanted to keep operating their companies as private businesses - well, that’s why Suckerberg can do this. They/you can’t have it both ways.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,690,573 times
I don't get it. Why are conservatives defending that conspiracy website? That would have been inconceivable even 5 years ago. Shows you how much mainstream has become fringe in the Trump age.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Obama tried to that - declare that the internet was a public utility. That would have done what you’re asking for.

FWIW, I supported that. Did you?

Given that the people who opposed that wanted to keep operating their companies as private businesses - well, that’s why Suckerberg can do this. They/you can’t have it both ways.
You are mixing things up....

"A U.S. appeals court upheld the Obama administration’s landmark rules barring internet service providers from obstructing or slowing down consumer access to web content on Tuesday, dealing a blow to big cable and mobile phone companies."

THIS was a proposal regarding net neutrality (equal access). But now, since Trump rolled that back, the "internet" can not only ban Nuts from Facebook, but they can completely ban them or slow them down (or charge them) for the internet in general.

Putting it more clearly, given the current admin, corporations could decide that infonuts.com could not even be accessed. Obama fought AGAINST that as you see above.

Just as the ACLU came to the aid of Rushbo when he should have been in jail or "executed" given his own and Trumps feelings on the matter (buying narcotics), liberals have championed net neutrality because they are consistent on those basics.

There is absolutely no issue here. Corporation bans Jones. Other corporation (GAB) may want to allow him, thereby increasing their viewers. Ain't capitalism grand?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't get it. Why are conservatives defending that conspiracy website? That would have been inconceivable even 5 years ago. Shows you how much mainstream has become fringe in the Trump age.
They have run out of things to hang their hats on so they have to reach and reach.

Fringe has become the majority. These folks are very fungible. Give them a few years and they will be preaching "values" again.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 12 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,606,656 times
I confess, I didn't even bother to read this thread before posting because the response is so predictable (if not made yet, it will be). And once again, I give my standard response.

The First Amendment only says "congress shall make no law abridging freedom of...." It says nothing about non-governmental entities "abridging" such and such a freedom. Therefore, if the owner, manager, director, etc. finds the speech (or any other kind of expression / communication ) disruptive to the entity's purpose - including decrease in morale - then the non-governmental entity has every right to forbid that act or expression.

And no, "Whites Only" type signs are not part of an individual's right to use their property as they see fit. Businesses whose essential purpose is to serve and make profit off members of the general public are considered "public spaces".

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
They have run out of things to hang their hats on so they have to reach and reach.

Fringe has become the majority. These folks are very fungible. Give them a few years and they will be preaching "values" again.
That goes to show, once again, that truth is not determined by majority vote.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,151,227 times
Thanks! Good to know! I hope more people will take a stand against crazed hate-mongers.

Of course, Infowars could raise money on its own, could even send out it's own hard-copy newsletter, but FB is under no obligation to provide a platform for lazy people who are too inert to seek out Infowars on their own.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:15 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,632,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In your house, once you hear it, you cannot unhear it and I can stand outside with a bullhorn so you hear it.
I think the point went right over your head.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:26 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,891,485 times
What's great about these threads is, the Right is so straight forward in their opinions. The Left is SO condescending in theirs.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 PM

16,644 posts, read 8,656,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fantastic.

Another thread where cons (allegedly pro-capitalism) cry over a private business decision and libs (who really are anti-capitalism) start sounding like Murray Rothbard.

Enjoy your poop show, statists. You deserve each other.
I think many are willfully ignoring the fact the social media is rapidly becoming the way many people (especially younger folks) get their news, information and communicate.
Being locked out of such mediums is a huge disadvantage and gives one side all the power to limit or censor ideology they do not deem worthy.

If the shoe were on the other foot, liberals would be screaming bloody murder just the way they did back when Hollywood was blacklisting suspected communists.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies