Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 01:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

In both Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's this morning I saw women with dogs. Not service dogs, pets. I thought shopping itself was supposed to be therapy; why the need to bring a pet into an upscale retail store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In both Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's this morning I saw women with dogs. Not service dogs, pets. I thought shopping itself was supposed to be therapy; why the need to bring a pet into an upscale retail store?
Both of those stores are dog friendly.

Really. They are.

So you’re not surprised next time:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/barkpos...ly-stores/amp/

Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Both of those stores are dog friendly.

Really. They are.

So you’re not surprised next time:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/barkpos...ly-stores/amp/
I see Home Depot is on the list. About a year ago a lady had her dog with her in the garden department and the dog relieved himself in a plant. I guess somehow that makes her feel better or relieve her anxiety.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I see Home Depot is on the list. About a year ago a lady had her dog with her in the garden department and the dog relieved himself in a plant. I guess somehow that makes her feel better or relieve her anxiety.
Well, the dog’s anxiety, at least.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
About time. Frankly, laws need to be changed so only bonafide service animals are required to be free, whether on transportation or in housing, and better documentation and regulations - to include licensing - needs to be implemented for service animals. The “ask no questions, provide no proof” approach has led to rampant abuse and actual incidents that negatively impact public safety.
Indeed, the American Disabilities Act portion relating to service animals should be updated so that we can prove an SJW liberal's Japanese Mastiff is a real service dog.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Indeed, the American Disabilities Act portion relating to service animals should be updated so that we can prove an SJW liberal's Japanese Mastiff is a real service dog.
Thankfully, the tide is turning and it's the beginning of the end for this stupid trend.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:36 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
No, we don't. People with disabilities have to go through enough. Do you think anyone actually wants a service animal? This "problem" that most of the people in this thread are up in arms about isn't really a big problem. It's a few highly-publicized incidents. The way some in here are talking, you'd think fake service animals are prowling around public spaces in packs!

Old 12-18-2018, 07:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I never understood this in the first place. What about people with allergies? I can’t even send my kid to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because some kid is allergic to peanuts, and they let dogs and cats on planes with hundreds of people enclosed in a small space? There surely has to be several people on those flights that are allergic to cats or dogs because it’s a pretty common allergy.

If people can’t go somewhere without a support animal, then they should drive.
Excellent point.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No, we don't. People with disabilities have to go through enough. Do you think anyone actually wants a service animal? This "problem" that most of the people in this thread are up in arms about isn't really a big problem. It's a few highly-publicized incidents. The way some in here are talking, you'd think fake service animals are prowling around public spaces in packs!
Tell me again what disability it is that a person cant go to home depot to buy a potted plant without the emotional support of their dog?

Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I think that there are three categories of "support" animals:

1. Trained service dogs for people with physical disabilities
2. "Legitimate" emotional support animals for people who are suffering from some kind of mental trauma, such as the OP
3. "Feel good" emotional support animals for people who just want the comfort/companionship of their pets

IMO, it should be easy (if it's not easy already) for those in the #2 category to get documentation from a doctor or therapist stating that a specific animal IS necessary for the well-being of its owner. In that case, I think that the same "privileges" should be given to those animals and owners as are service dogs and their owners.

However, I do agree that the needs of people should take precedence over someone who just wants to bring their pet gerbii (or whatever) on a flight for convenience and/or company. I think the problem is that people and animals in category #3 have made it more difficult for people with "legitimate" needs.

I also think that stores should advertise whether they are pet-friendly or not, and then people can decide for themselves whether to patronize those businesses or not. (I personally think that any lost business will be replaced with new business, but I could be wrong about that, of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies