Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Batteries are mostly there already. It's the infrastructure to support ev charging that is lagging a bit. But it is catching up fast.

Quick charging technology has brought down charging times significantly, and some of the charging solutions just in the horizon will bring times close to the time it takes to refuel gasoline.
Sorry, we are not there yet. We need another break through in battery tech to get closer to a seamless transition from ICE vehicles. Have they eliminated cobalt from the current EV offerings yet ? If not, this will become a huge problem.

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.amppr...rom%20%251%24s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I’ve been driving a PHEV since 2011.

I think I buy gas about once or twice a year, max.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sorry, we are not there yet. We need another break through in battery tech to get closer to a seamless transition from ICE vehicles. Have they eliminated cobalt from the current EV offerings yet ? If not, this will become a huge problem.
Correct. It's going to need to be a quantum leap in battery technology in order to compete. The battery technology is the biggest weakness of these cars.

They should have stuck with Hydrogen.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:25 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Just bought a Plug-in electric hybrid (PhEV) that was just as economical as a gas equivalent. And if you drive very little, you really would never need to touch gas.

Too bad more manufacturers are not thinking in this direction.
The poor still buy used cars. Many people cannot come up with thousands to buy a new car.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Electric car domination is inevitable, as are electric ships...the holdout will be electric passenger aircraft, simply because of the power requirements. Ironically passenger jets account for 9% of the world's carbon emmissions. That's a lot.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Electric car domination is inevitable, as are electric ships...the holdout will be electric passenger aircraft, simply because of the power requirements. Ironically passenger jets account for 9% of the world's carbon emmissions. That's a lot.
Batteries are either going to have to get way lighter, or DiLithium Crystal technology will have to be invented. There is no good reason to move from cheap, efficient fossil fuels. NONE. Carbon isn't a legitimate worry. If EV's can be made to be more efficient, and less costly than ICE, that would be the only reason to use them.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Emission standards are being relaxed. Trump won't alienate the Saudis. Gasoline is under two bucks a gallon. SUVs are replacing the sedan.

Are the richest of the rich trying to kill the electric car?
The oil companies certainly wouldn't mind if they went away. It's been shown that they're behind the push to "relax" pollution regs.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:39 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently in your world normal cars never ever catch fire? LOL.

Apparently? I didn't imply anything of the sort, cars catch fires for all sort of reasons. The owner of that tesla is not buying another one, he said it on camera. I won't go into the rate of fires, I'll wait a few more years until those new tesla's start to age.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Apparently? I didn't imply anything of the sort, cars catch fires for all sort of reasons. The owner of that tesla is not buying another one, he said it on camera. I won't go into the rate of fires, I'll wait a few more years until those new tesla's start to age.

Uh huh. They don't even know what caused that one as it happened what? 1 day ago? You wont go into the rate of fired because you know its nonsense. There are 300,000 Teslas on the road, which have driven 7.5 billion miles. They've had 40 fires reported. basically 5 fires for every billion miles. gas cars? 55 fires per billion miles. THATS why you wont go into the rate of fires. But instead want to argue for some future unknowable fear that it will magically become worse.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:51 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
My next car will be electric. I need some solar panels on my house as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies