Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the walls in your home work?
Yes, my home is free of illegals. 24 54.55%
No, illegals freely pass through my walls like ghosts. 13 29.55%
I don't know. I just open the front door and let in whoever approaches. 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,787,075 times

Advertisements

Well Hadrian’s Wall worked....err....no. But the Antonine will did! What, no there too?
Back to the drawing board.

Static defense was all the rage when the French built the Maginot line, how well did that work for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Every time I see that old bat Pelosi talking about how border walls are immoral I get damn enraged by the stupidity of that comment. I feel like going to her multimillion dollar house and removing every exterior door and gates off of their hinges.

Then we can have an honest no bs PC discussion about the most basic of security measures.

Stupid woman.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:21 PM

2,486 posts, read 826,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What a dumb post.

I take it you do not believe in having walls around your home?

Mine works exactly as they should. They keep unwanted people out while keeping my pets and (kept) children in and safe.

Good walls make for great neighbors!

Old 12-28-2018, 02:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
Last place I rented at had crap walls. We put a damage-free sticker on it, and when we peeled it off, the wall peeled off along with it. :|

Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,572,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I take it you do not believe in having walls around your home?

Mine works exactly as they should. They keep unwanted people out while keeping my pets and (kept) children in and safe.

Good walls make for great neighbors!
Somebody's not paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
What a ridiculous analogy. Walls and roofs in houses are there to protect you against the elements, they have nothing to do with keeping out other people.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Every time I see that old bat Pelosi talking about how border walls are immoral I get damn enraged by the stupidity of that comment. I feel like going to her multimillion dollar house and removing every exterior door and gates off of their hinges.

Then we can have an honest no bs PC discussion about the most basic of security measures.

Stupid woman.
What gates? There's no wall that I see around her actual house..it's red brick, not the white mansion circulating.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is...-pelosis-home/

Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 PM

52,309 posts, read 52,771,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
What gates? There's no wall that I see around her actual house..it's red brick, not the white mansion circulating.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is...-pelosis-home/
She's got exterior doors I assume.

Way to miss the forest for the trees.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,118,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
She's got exterior doors I assume.

Way to miss the forest for the trees.
I'm not missing anything. You said gates, so it seemed likely that you might think she lived in the white mansion with walls that gets passed around erroneously.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:55 PM

30,297 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You guys sound skeptical of walls. I wanted to hear about your experiences with them.

Which choice applies to you?

Do the walls in your home work?
A. Yes, my home is free of illegals.
B. No, illegals freely pass through my walls like ghosts.
C. I don't know. I just open the front door and let in whoever approaches.
I love your snark.

You're further making the point, however. The open border imbeciles claim that "walls don't work" because it won't stop people from getting into this country.

That's true, it won't stop all of them, just like the walls in your home will not stop every person who wants to come in and take your stuff. However, with the walls and that big, beautiful door, you cut down, drastically, the number of people who would come by and take your stuff as compared to having it all out in the open.

Test it.

Find something in your house that comes in pairs, or is similar. Say you have 2 arm chairs in your home. Keep one inside the house, and put the other one outside on your front porch or walkway or yard where there's no fence, gate, or other barrier preventing someone from coming up to it.

See which one stays secure the longest.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:23 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,595,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love your snark.

You're further making the point, however. The open border imbeciles claim that "walls don't work" because it won't stop people from getting into this country.

That's true, it won't stop all of them, just like the walls in your home will not stop every person who wants to come in and take your stuff. However, with the walls and that big, beautiful door, you cut down, drastically, the number of people who would come by and take your stuff as compared to having it all out in the open.

Test it.

Find something in your house that comes in pairs, or is similar. Say you have 2 arm chairs in your home. Keep one inside the house, and put the other one outside on your front porch or walkway or yard where there's no fence, gate, or other barrier preventing someone from coming up to it.

See which one stays secure the longest.
The question isn't whether walls proffer some modicum of security - they do. The question is whether a border wall is the most efficient way of keeping illegal aliens from entering the US - and the answer is that it isn't.

Take an expensive item from your home - say $20,000 diamond earrings. Put one on the other side of a 20 foot wall and put the other one outside on your front porch where there's no fence, gate, or other barrier preventing someone from coming up to it.

Then install a high-tech monitoring system to monitor the diamond on the porch and the surrounding areas at all times (e.g., a virtual wall), put a guard dog next to it and have the security system linked to a rapid response unit from law enforcement (e.g., the border patrol). Then create a means where it will be difficult, if not impossible, to sell the diamond on the porch and realize any value from it (e.g., e-verify).

Make sure potential trespassers are aware that there is a $10,000 diamond sitting on the other side of a 20 foot wall and another $10,000 diamond that they can't sell on a porch monitored 24-7 by a high-tech security system linked to a law enforcement team situated next to a guard dog. See which one stays secure the longest.

Oh, and did I mention the cost of the wall is many many times more than the cost of the security system, guard dog, rapid response unit, and making the diamond near impossible to sell? And that it will take at least 10 years longer to build?

You see that? Efficiency rather than building outdated temples to stroke people's egos and making low-information suckers feel warm and fuzzy.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 12-28-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies