Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:33 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,279,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Apparently not.

I’m sure it’s because he was on the phone or wore sneakers in a loafers only zone.

https://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/n...6-bf6c5a449c0a
Send in the National Guard

Old 12-28-2018, 02:34 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,439,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I'm not bending myself into any sort of pretzel trying to prove anything. I am simply taking note of small discrepencies, behavior, etc. like an objective, fact driven person does.

My family is very, very multiracial and diverse and I'm pretty sure they haven't behaved perfectly while traveling either. But in spite of the various shades of brown (including some very dark brown) none of them have ever been called out or whatever in a hotel lobby either. But if they were, my first question to them would be "Were you behaving yourself?" not "Do you think you were the victim of racism?"
Exactly. Everything is turned into political hay nowadays, social media being the biggest driver of this, with the lazy mainstream media following in lockstep.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 PM

1,239 posts, read 511,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
He had his feet up on the sofa.Black or white that instantly signifies someone common who doesn't know how to behave with manners.
Security were absolutely right to approach this oaf.
I didn't even want to address the stupid point about the feet on the sofa, but I'll take the 2 seconds.

Look at marketing materials from companies like Hilton trying to cater to millennials. Go to a modern hotel. Lobbies and common areas are being designed in such a way that people feel more comfortable lounging and relaxing there.

https://goo.gl/images/428qJW
This is literally from an advertisement for the hotel.

https://goo.gl/images/vzaTKX
Think they were kicked out?

https://goo.gl/images/CDmfH1

Looks like the security guard was put on leave, so we have yet another thread where members find a way to try and defend racists in situations where no one else will.

When you think about it that way, you guys really are standing up for the oppressed.

Kudos.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:38 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,208,477 times
Quote:
Sorry, there was another thread on this topic and apparently it's been deleted (I didn't start it but I can't find it now and it's not merged with this one.)

Here's the article, but I'll also copy and paste from it for your reading pleasure:

There's more but you can read it here:
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....cism-analysis/

From the police report (as opposed to Instagram):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/portlan...yees-on-leave/

And there's this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...icked-out.html

So there are some links for you to peruse. Sorry for any confusion. I didn't realize the other thread had disappeared - or that I was even ON two threads - LOL.
I wonder why this was not reported? I have to go back to the original link that was posted. This clearly tells a different story.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder why this was not reported? I have to go back to the original link that was posted. This clearly tells a different story.
I don't know but there is always more to the story than the victim's account, and snippets of video. Like I said on the other thread, I am a natural born skeptic and one of my life mantras is "Seek first to understand" so I always look at the "side stories." Demeanor, dress, behavior in other venues, other eyewitness accounts, etc. I don't jump to conclusions and I am definitely NOT a racist. But I am a pretty skeptical person. I freely admit it. I have often thought I should have gone into law or forensics.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,703,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was just reading about this. How does one get kicked out for using a lobby phone even after proving you are a registered guest there?

This kind of stuff happens far too often to get passed off as a one time stupid action.
..........sounds like a trump hotel.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:11 PM

30,319 posts, read 23,800,844 times
Quote:
We don't know whether or not Massey was being loud or quiet. We do know this though:

1. The hotel is downtown in an area with a homeless problem - hence the security guard. Generally speaking, Doubletree guests don't want the lobby to be a flop house for the local homeless population.

2. Massey was dressed very casually and had his feet up on the sofa and was talking on the phone. When he was approached, he did not initially offer any proof that he was a guest - he said in fact that he didn't remember his room number. This could have been avoided had he simply shown his key - which was in a packet, with the room number clearly marked on it. But he didn't do that, and became annoyed quickly and then whipped out his phone and started recording stuff, and yelling and claiming that he was a former FBI agent. (Anyone know anything about that yet? I can't find anything on his Instagram page though I do see TONS of photos of partying going on.)

According to his Instagram page, Massey travels a LOT. A whole lot. Internationally. Apparently to some very expensive locales. He should know how to behave in a Doubletree hotel lobby.
Welp, that just destroyed the OP's narrative. It wasn't because he was black, it was because he had a crappy attitude.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:39 PM

7,493 posts, read 6,279,236 times
Quote:
I don't know but there is always more to the story than the victim's account, and snippets of video. Like I said on the other thread, I am a natural born skeptic and one of my life mantras is "Seek first to understand" so I always look at the "side stories." Demeanor, dress, behavior in other venues, other eyewitness accounts, etc. I don't jump to conclusions and I am definitely NOT a racist. But I am a pretty skeptical person. I freely admit it. I have often thought I should have gone into law or forensics.
It sounds like a business model.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I disagree. I am Hispanic and one time had an uncomfortable situation with a woman from Spain in a hotel in Guatemala. I was about to go in a dorm room which cost $4 per person, and this lady in a very rude tone asked me where I was going, that that was a private room. [I imagine if it was her own country she would have sounded even worst] I gave her the benefit of the doubt and said: "I was placed here, Did you pay for a private room? Maybe there was a mistake." And she just looked confused and said OK. I could have responded in her same tone, and tell her I was going in the dorm room and that she sounded like a bigot. But I think my response was more appropriate.
Yup.
This crap happens to me all the time and maybe I am too polite about how I've been responding to it.
Bc it's like a slow burn that builds and builds and who knows....?

Old 12-28-2018, 03:52 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,450,173 times
The fundamental issue with the whole controversy is this:

I. Hotel security may have genuinely--even if preposterously, in retrospect--felt a concern to public safety;

II. racism needs to be eliminated from society--including, to the extent possible, its subconscious forms that tend to drive certain tendencies that will have unfairly disparate impacts on the basis of race.

Both of these conditions are undeniably true to any reasonable American, so why can't we reconcile them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies