Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry you feel that way.

I am not trying to discredit this guy - I am simply stating what is clearly and consistently on his public social media.

Have you gone and looked at his social media feed?
No because it doesn’t matter what is on his social media. I don’t care about his drinking, partying, supposed poor grammar. If he posted about his masterful plan to get a couple of Doubletree employees fired, I would find that incredibly suspect. Outside of that, I don’t see how it matters.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Look. Here is the question. If a white person had walked in, dressed the same and on the phone with their feet up on the couch, would the security guard have approached them? There is no way to know this. That is the ONLY way to know if the security guards actions were indeed "racist".

The mistake people make is assuming that blacks not following the rules or codes of conduct, exonerates the response as not being "racist", but due to rule or conduct violation. Why? It's because enforcement of code and rule violations by humans is often subjective. Hence, what motivates a human to sometimes enforce a rule or code violation and sometimes not? Can race play a role in making a determination? Of course, as well as other things.

Like I have said, you have to STUDY RACISM IN AMERICA. You have to pay attention to findings of RESEARCH and studies conducted by universities on racial attitudes. Such studies showing subconscious racism among a good percentage of whites are well documented and recent. You even have social experiments on TV like the 20/20 series were they STAGE scenarios with white and black people doing the same thing......BUT GETTING STARKLY DIFFERENT RESPONSES/REACTIONS for doing it. Ergo, racism is alive and well in this country so why are people trying so hard to discredit claims of racism?

We can't read minds, but we know racism is not uncommon. No, every claim that something is racism is not correct. However, given the prevalence of racial stereotypes and given the many studies showing racism in American mindsets, there is a good possibility that this incident was influenced by race. There is not 100% certainty, but we can NEVER know because many people who are influenced by subconscious racism do not even realize it. In other words, a person who is subconsciously racist will tell you that there actions were not racist because they were not conscious of being racist.

You have people posting on this thread who keep throwing out how they are not racist......because they have multi-racial family and "brown" kids, whatever the hell that means. Just because a person has multi-racial family and kids who are "brown" does mean you don't have something against people who are "black". Anytime a person starts talking about their friends of color, their relationships of color, to cover for their words that sound racist, it just makes you seem more racist. Some black people are racist against black people.....and they are BLACK themselves. Therefore, ones relationship to black people or people of color does not mean you can't be racist against the group, if not the individual. Racism is the way one feels about the GROUP, not necessarily the individual. To argue that because you like or love some individuals who are black, does not mean that you therefore like or love black people in general. That is the fallacy of composition.

I am not saying that this incident is racism. I am saying that it has a good probability of being racism.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-30-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Hey, if it makes any of you feel any better, here's a real life picture from just a few weeks ago - my multiracial family was sitting around the fire pit in our backyard burning a painting we found of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the KKK. We thought this would make an impressive learning experience for the kids. It was a fun night full of interesting conversation!

How many people can say they spent the holidays at their grandparents burning paintings of KKK founders? LOL

So yeah - I'm a skeptic but I do have firm convictions against real issues of prejudice.
Attached Thumbnails
Can a Black man stay at a hotel and sit in the lobby?-burning-nbf.jpg  

Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way.

I am not trying to discredit this guy - I am simply stating what is clearly and consistently on his public social media.

Have you gone and looked at his social media feed?
It was her fault because of what she was wearing?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nope. Don't put words in my mouth.

That being said, lifestyle does tell us a bit about overall character.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Hey, if it makes any of you feel any better, here's a real life picture from just a few weeks ago - my multiracial family was sitting around the fire pit in our backyard burning a painting we found of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the KKK. We thought this would make an impressive learning experience for the kids. It was a fun night full of interesting conversation!

How many people can say they spent the holidays at their grandparents burning paintings of KKK founders? LOL

So yeah - I'm a skeptic but I do have firm convictions against real issues of prejudice.

You keep trying to discredit the hotel guest and you keep trying to accredit yourself. We don't know YOU, so posting pictures of is proof of nothing. How do we know that is you? We don't know what you were burning?

Your words and reasoning are the only thing germane here. You are hell bent on trying to discredit this guy. That is clear. Yes, the guy could probably have handled the matter in a way to deescalate the situation early on, but we don't know his past experiences and what led to him being less than cooperative.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Ghetto vibes?

You guys are hilarious. Please don’t stop.
It is quite obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In other words, YES, if you follow the posters logic.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You keep trying to discredit the hotel guest and you keep trying to accredit yourself. We don't know YOU, so posting pictures of is proof of nothing. How do we know that is you? We don't know what you were burning?

Your words and reasoning are the only thing germane here. You are hell bent on trying to discredit this guy. That is clear. Yes, the guy could probably have handled the matter in a way to deescalate the situation early on, but we don't know his past experiences and what led to him being less than cooperative.
My words and reasoning are germane, you're right.

Listen, I don't care whether or not you "believe" that my family got together and burned a painting of NBF, or that we are adamantly opposed to any form of racism - your beliefs don't alter reality one iota. By the way, if you google images of NBF, you can see that the burning image is of him. Just for the record.

I'm not "hell bent on trying to discredit this guy" - his public social media feed is out there for anyone to peruse - have you looked at it?

Speaking of past experiences, this guy does a lot of traveling, to what seems to be a lot of very high end locales, restaurants, hotels, etc. His posted experiences don't give any sort of impression of leading a downtrodden life rife with racist incidents. He seems to be living a very adventurous, prosperous life. But you're right - who knows when it comes to social media? Every bit of it can be faked or doctored.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-30-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Are you talking to me?

Though I was married to an African American man for eleven years and have four biracial kids (that I bore, not adopted just for the record), as well as a biracial adopted brother, a Korean daughter in law, an adopted Korean grandson, a multiracial son in law, and eight multiracial grandkids, I never claimed to "know how it feels to be that person of color." I'm a white lady - all I know is how it feels to be the sister, wife, mother, mother in law, or grandmother of people I love, who have skin that's darker than mine.

I do know what prejudice feels like though and have had it directed at me many times over the course of my life. That's not an unusual feeling though - many people have been the victims of prejudice and know exactly how it feels. Including white folks.
No, you don’t know how it feels.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It is quite obvious.

In other words, YES, if you follow the posters logic.
Lifestyles have consequences. Sometimes those consequences are unfair, because life isn't fair. But life choices do matter. Demeanor does matter. Dress does matter. Drinking does matter. Jobs do matter. Friendships matter. Belief systems matter. What we post on social media matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies