Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

You know what - I've always been pretty unpopular with racists, because I call it out when I see it - from ANY source. Don't assume that just because I'm a middle aged white lady, that I won't call someone's hand for being a racist - I've done it time and time again in real life, and that sometimes really surprises people. For instance, I'm very active locally regarding changing the name of a high school around here (one that is named after a Confederate general). Well, that stance ticks some folks off. I'm active in various race relations organizations locally - but I'm not a Democrat, and that ticks some folks off. My ancestry is chock full of slave owners and Confederate soldiers, but I think and have always thought that slavery is a despicable institution and absolutely unjustifiable and I've always said that, even in situations with family "historians" who were so "into" the supposed honor of the Confederacy. That's ticked some people off. Oh well.

So many people simply cannot manage to think objectively - they start with assumptions and agendas and the minute you question or give a different perspective, they jump at you with insults and accusations. I actually had a coworker come up to me one time and whisper, "OK, you're really a Democrat, aren't you?" As if that would be something shameful or crazy. I just so happen NOT to be a Democrat, but believe me, her whispered words were just as weird to me as any inconsistent political platform (and yes, I think political platforms in general tend to be very inconsistent). I said, "Well, no, actually I'm not a Democrat, just for the record," and she said, again whispering fiercely, "Oh, I think you are - and you better not let your customers know that!" What? I was a top salesperson and I always have been - I'm not worried about what some customer might think about my political beliefs - that's not the level I was interacting on with them and I refuse to make it some sort of litmus test.

Same with skin color. But that doesn't mean I don't observe behavior carefully - from everyone. I gather facts and information and only then do I come to a determination. Behavior, demeanor - all that tells me a lot about a person. Not everything, but a lot. Insight. It's a good thing.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't you did. What you were doing is the same thing. "He had pics of himself out drinking and having a good time hence........"

So does what people post.
OK, you DID put words that I did not say, into my mouth. I also didn't imply them. I was very clear about what I was and was not saying.

But yes, I do agree - what people post sends a message about their beliefs and lifestyle. Thanks for agreeing with me on that.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
In which case they would file a lawsuit. They did wrong.
I'm not convinced of that. I think it's to appease their customers. Happens all the time in these cases. Ican't go make a scene and then try to turn it into a lawsuit. Geeze. Instead of being hostile when asked his room number, he could have just given it, shown the key, whatever, and continued his conversation w/o incident. Like most people would. White or black, behavior like that is going to get a reaction.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
In which case they would file a lawsuit. They did wrong.
I'd like to say "We'll see what happens," since this is still a developing case, and Doubletree hasn't even finished it's internal investigation according to press releases, but I'm pretty sure that the Doubletree will do all it can to shut this whole thing down. I would be willing to bet that none of this ever goes to any sort of trial and that any injured or supposedly injured party will get paid handsomely to shut up. Just about any payment to anyone would be cheaper to Doubletree than a trial and continued discussions.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:09 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'd like to say "We'll see what happens," since this is still a developing case, and Doubletree hasn't even finished it's internal investigation according to press releases, but I'm pretty sure that the Doubletree will do all it can to shut this whole thing down. I would be willing to bet that none of this ever goes to any sort of trial and that any injured or supposedly injured party will get paid handsomely to shut up. Just about any payment to anyone would be cheaper to Doubletree than a trial and continued discussions.
Firing is good enough to prevent a lawsuit. That is why that was done.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, you DID put words that I did not say, into my mouth. I also didn't imply them. I was very clear about what I was and was not saying.
I'm not the only one that understood what you said.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Firing is good enough to prevent a lawsuit. That is why that was done.
I think that firing can precipitate a lawsuit. But most likely, a settling out of court.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I'm not the only one that understood what you said.
You mean, you 're not the only one who tried to read something I didn't say into what I said. Don't worry, I'm used to it. It doesn't bother me - just gives me more opportunity to discuss various topics, which is usually interesting, though I'm getting bored with this one by now.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
welcome to the fifties again when racists were comfortable opening their mouths
Truth.
As awful as it is, at least now we can see them for what they are, including the ones posting in this thread.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Truth.
As awful as it is, at least now we can see them for what they are, including the ones posting in this thread.
Amen to that - and there are a lot of racists in every walk of life and every corner of society, unfortunately.

And lots and lots and lots of people who simply cannot see past their own preconceptions and agendas. Which is basically a definition of prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies