Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You say that as if I or other white people or society or America is reaping what we sowed. It's hurting no one except the sufferers of victim mentality. I have a Hispanic friend and a black friend of a friend who make themselves miserable all the time imagining things that are not happening. It hurts no one but them. I'm not miserable over it. They are.

I agree....but why would people CHOOSE misery? If peoples actions or choices leads to their own misery, then something is dysfunctional and if the dysfunction is not internal, meaning genetic, then its a conditioned or environmentally caused dysfunction.

I believe in the power of beliefs. If you believe it hard enough, it will come true. One of the consequences of the real history of racism, for blacks (can't speak for Latinos), is how it has shaped our beliefs. Beliefs often create self fulfilling prophecies. So even if no whites were racist today, blacks have been conditioned to see negative acts from whites as being motivated by race and hence whites would become more racist just from being treated like racist. Ergo, the way black people are, largely, America is a self fulfilled prophecy from whites concerning the belief of black inferiority (white supremacy). Whites have believed blacks as inferior and hence treated blacks in such a way that resulted in their outcomes being inferior, by not giving them the same opportunities and chances.

It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 12-30-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 02:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why do hotels have phones in the lobby or rooms, given that people have cell phones? I think the Hotels are in a conspiracy with liberals to try to make it seem as if racism still exist in America. I mean.....why have a phone in the lobby? If you are a guest won't you have a phone in your room? They planted the phone there hoping that some black guy would then come and use it and then the security would come question whether they were a guest or not and then the black person could claim racism and further the liberal agenda.
No, but hotel lobby phones are not for lounging around like one is in one's living room having long conversations either. I can see returning a call from my mother at one, if I needed to save the battery in my cell, but not laying back, babbling away with her. I might be asked to please use my private room phone. I can see hotel employees doing that.

I can picture a super polite way of hinting. Madam, is the phone in your room not working properly? LOL. hint, hint.

It doesn't really matter, I just wonder. Was he in the bar, which was loud, so he saw the call from his Mom and went out where it was quiet? That part is not explained anywhere I have read.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Get this. When I was a newlywed (the first time - LOL - to the father of my kids) - my husband and I were looking for housing off post. (He was and still is in the military.) We had no issues finding a place. Didn't run into any racism - if we did, I guess we were both obtuse about it. Anyway, we rented a place and everything was fine. Eventually we moved on post - and everything was still fine. Then I met a girl I really liked. She was white, her husband was black. Within a few conversations, it became clear to me that for whatever reason, in the very same town, she was having a much different experience than I was having. My goodness, she ran into racism everywhere! People were always discriminating against her and her family. Why would this be?

I'll tell you why, though you've guessed it, I'm sure. She saw racism everywhere. OK, she and her husband had bad credit, and they had a harder time finding rental property than my husband and I, with good credit, had. But she assumed it was because they were an interracial couple or because her husband was black.

In her defense, she came from a locale and family that gave her a lot of grief about her interracial marriage. My family didn't. Where I came from (military background) people didn't give me a lot of grief about it either. So I didn't see racism in every rejection - I just figured if someone turned me down for housing, it was due to bad credit - in theory, because we didn't ever get turned down for housing.

But I did know when we WERE targeted racially. And it did happen. Occasionally, people did react to us from a racist perspective, and I saw it, knew it, and dealt with it. But most of the time, it just wasn't an issue.

It's funny - I have two daughters. One hardly ever even mentions race, and when she does it's generally something humorous or just a casual observation (for instance, she and I have discussed the behavior of kids in public and noticed that different races deal with their kids differently - GENERALLY SPEAKING, I KNOW THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS BUT MY POINT IS THAT IT'S A HUMOROUS CONVERSATION). My other daughter sees racism everywhere. She is constantly making assumptions, rolling her eyes, arguing with people, etc. She's also the least tolerant of my kids, and frankly, I think she is the most racist. Her behaviors are perplexing to the other kids - they've even said to me, "It's like she forgot we all grew up in the same house together." Oh well.

Geeze .....can you give it a break!!! Everything you post is 90% about YOU, your family, your experiences...yadda yadda. Why don't you just right a book about your life and kids and stop adding it to every post.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Then why do I get asked for proof that I am a guest in hotels sometimes? I am white.
Honey, no one believes you are actually ever asked if you're a guest in a hotel. You know - us white folks look out for one another. Wink wink.

This cracks me up:
https://youtu.be/l_LeJfn_qW0

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Geeze .....can you give it a break!!! Everything you post is 90% about YOU, your family, your experiences...yadda yadda. Why don't you just right a book about your life and kids and stop adding it to every post.
Nyah - it's pertinent. If you don't want to read it, don't. Doesn't bother me.

But at least be consistent - don't keep bringing my kids into the conversation if you think my experiences are irrelevant. Come on now, play fair.

I have a lot of actual, real life experiences - that's what happens when you're old. Plus, I type fast.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-30-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM

4,139 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
The problem is the video does not show the entire interaction, Massy could have gotten smart with the security guard or the manager. I swear some black people are brainwashed to believe any time a white person questions them it is racist.
The video also doesn’t show the possible flip side to that, the guard being a complete jerk to him, rudely accusing him of being homeless etc.. etc... See? I can make up all sorts of stories about what happened prior to the filming too, that, as I’ve pointed out here more than once, doesn’t make it factual.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Look. Here is the question. If a white person had walked in, dressed the same and on the phone with their feet up on the couch, would the security guard have approached them? There is no way to know this. That is the ONLY way to know if the security guards actions were indeed "racist".

We actually agree on something! It would have to be the same hotel, the same guard. But yes, that is the point. We don't know because we only have this one story. And we don't even have the full story.

No one is saying that black people don't face discrimination or racism - of course they do.

You get videos on World Star or whatever that site is, or just social media in general, of some black people acting in the way of a stereotype, and people take that and run with it, assuming that ALL black people are that way. That. Happens. A lot. The reason I mention that is because yesterday, on social media, I came across some video taken by someone in a store in TN.

Apparently a group of younger people went into the store playing some loud music on their phone. The store asked them to turn it down because it was loud, and because there was a lot of cussing in that music, and there were kids in the store. Instead of being considerate of other people, the group wanted to get froggy.

Most of the group left, but 2 of them came back and started in on not only the people working at the store, but took down someone's mom who had been standing at the counter waiting to be helped while the clerks had to deal with these 2 people throwing a tantrum in their store. (They were yelling, cursing, throwing things off of shelves, toppling over displays, and causing a huge scene all because someone asked them to turn down their music.) In the comments, one person wrote: "They are acting like how people stereotype us." And for some reason, that really hit me. Yeah, people do exactly that. So of course black people face discrimination and racism.

The point is, however, that any time something happens to a black person, it seems to be splashed all. over. the media and is immediately tagged as "solely because he/she was black". How can anyone assume that without the full story, without the full video, without the editing and the cuts to the video?

Of course there's been times that video has absolutely proven that someone was racist towards a black person, or a cop shot someone because they were black -we've seen that right here on City Data - I can think of about 4 off the top of my head that have been highlighted here on City Data. It does not mean, however, that every single incident involving a black person happens because "the other person was racist". We can't know that without more information.

Some white guy getting tossed out by the security guard for talking on their phone in the lobby/lounge and having their feet up on the furniture would be a story no one cares about because you can't make it "controversial". In those cases, the white person can't claim "racism", so they have to admit that their behavior or attitude was garbage, and that is why they were treated that way.

I question why we don't have more incidents with Hispanics, Latinos, Asians, or any other race, but we do seem to have a disproportionate amount of news articles or videos about blacks and Jews. Is it that society is only racist towards blacks and everyone's an anti-semite, or is that not every fricken incident is because of race or because someone is Jewish,but some want to pretend that they are?

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 12-30-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I agree....but why would people CHOOSE misery? If peoples actions or choices leads to their own misery, then something is dysfunctional and if the dysfunction is not internal, meaning genetic, then its a conditioned or environmentally caused dysfunction.

I believe in the power of beliefs. If you believe it hard enough, it will come true. One of the consequences of the real history of racism, for blacks (can't speak for Latinos), is how it has shaped our beliefs. Beliefs often create self fulfilling prophecies. So even if no whites were racist today, blacks have been conditioned to see negative acts from whites as being motivated by race and hence whites would become more racist just from being treated like racist. Ergo, the way black people are, largely, America is a self fulfilled prophecy from whites concerning the belief of black inferiority (white supremacy). Whites have seen blacks as inferior and hence treated blacks in such a way that resulted in their outcomes being inferior, by not giving them the same opportunities and chances.

It's a vicious cycle.
But you are putting all of the blame externally. People 'choose misery' all the time. For a lot of different reasons. In a lot of different ways. So, take my Hispanic friend. Maybe he refused to realize that his own failure to obtain a degree is why he didn't get promoted. But his ego defense was 'no, it's because I am Hispanic. They are racist'. Me: 'then why do we have a black manager?' I don't remember his answer to that.

Then other black people came and went. It was a tough businesses. We were sort of 'hazed'. The managers bent over backwards to not make anyone think they were racist. I told them they are going easier on you than anyone due to that. Look at ______. He's a manager! They are not racist! Suck it up. We all have to deal with it. Me most of all being female.

Nope, they left. Claiming racism. Whatever. Their choice. It was a good gig. That black manager now makes half a mil per year because he didn't have any time for that nonsense. He went to school, got a job, worked his ass off perfecting himself at that job, and rose and rose on his own steam.

The other guys got, in, their, own, way.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We actually agree on something! It would have to be the same hotel, the same guard. But yes, that is the point. We don't know because we only have this one story. And we don't even have the full story.

No one is saying that black people don't face discrimination or racism - of course they do.

You get videos on World Star or whatever that site is, or just social media in general, of some black people acting in the way of a stereotype, and people take that and run with it, assuming that ALL black people are that way. That. Happens. A lot. The reason I mention that is because yesterday, on social media, I came across some video taken by someone in a store in TN.

Apparently a group of younger people went into the store playing some loud music on their phone. The store asked them to turn it down because it was loud, and because there was a lot of cussing in that music, and there were kids in the store. Instead of being considerate of other people, the group wanted to get froggy.

Most of the group left, but 2 of them came back and started in on not only the people working at the store, but took down someone's mom who had been standing at the counter waiting to be helped while the clerks had to deal with these 2 people throwing a tantrum in their store. (They were yelling, cursing, throwing things off of shelves, toppling over displays, and causing a huge scene all because someone asked them to turn down their music.) In the comments, one person wrote: "They are acting like how people stereotype us." And for some reason, that really hit me. Yeah, people do exactly that. So of course black people face discrimination and racism.

The point is, however, that any time something happens to a black person, it seems to be splashed all. over. the media and is immediately tagged as "solely because he/she was black". How can anyone assume that without the full story, without the full video, without the editing and the cuts to the video?

Of course there's been times that video has absolutely proven that someone was racist towards a black person, or a cop shot someone because they were black -we've seen that right here on City Data - I can think of about 4 off the top of my head that have been highlighted here on City Data. It does not mean, however, that every single incident involving a black person happens because "the other person was racist". We can't know that without more information.

Some white guy getting tossed out by the security guard for talking on their phone in the lobby/lounge and having their feet up on the furniture would be a story no one cares about because you can't make it "controversial". In those cases, the white person can't claim "racism", so they have to admit that their behavior or attitude was garbage, and that is why they were treated that way.

I question why we don't have more incidents with Hispanics, Latinos, Asians, or any other race, but we do seem to have a disproportionate amount of news articles or videos about blacks and Jews. Is it that society is only racist towards blacks and everyone's an anti-semite, or is that not every fricken incident is because of race or because someone is Jewish,but some want to pretend that they are?

We live in a country of almost 330 million people. If the only evidence of racism or blacks acting stupid, is what we see in the media, then there is little evidence either way. I mean, think about it. There are 330 million people in this country. How many videos of racist incidents do we see in the news yearly? If there was one such incident a day that would be one incident per million people, which is an egregious sampling error to make any claims about racism or anything else.

What people need to do is LOOK AT THE STUDIES AND RESEARCH that comes about about racism and racial attitudes and how prevalent it is or is not. Anyone basing or forming arguments based upon their personal experience or the experience of someone else seen in the media is getting a distorted view. These videos that pop up are not proof that racism is still a big issue in America. However, the studies and research done shows racism is still a big issue in America. When studies are done that shows resumes with black sounding names get rejected at twice the rate of resumes with white sounding names, all other information being about the same, that lets you know something about racism in America.

When I see stories like this.....I base my analysis of them largely off of general research about racism in America, the history of racism in America, and the details of the incident. Which leads me to believe that most of the incidents have a good probability of being influenced by race, but rarely is it ever a certainty because that would require the reading of peoples subconscious.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
That is not the question. The question is had a white person did the same thing, dressed the same way, at this hotel, would the security had questioned them? Obviously no black person posted to social media about being asked if they were a guest at the same hotels WHERE YOU WERE ASKED THIS QUESTION. Right? So you have no evidence of blacks claiming racism for being asked if they were guest at the same hotels YOU STAYED. That would be an apples to apples comparison. The issue here is whether a white person at this hotel at that same time and those same circumstances would have been treated differently. We will never know the answer to that but with the general knowledge of the way racism manifest in America, today, I say there stands a good probability that a white person would not have been asked to demonstrate that they were a guest.

Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7i60GuNRg
It most certainly IS the question. The premise here seems to be that only black people are asked to prove they are allowed to be where they are. My experience and that of other white people who also had to do so under similar circumstances disproves that.

You do not have a shred of evidence that this hotel is stuck in the 1920s and doesn't know how to cope with a black guest.

What we DO have evidence of, is that when asked, he refused to provide his room number and became hostile at having been asked to begin with and/or for having his conversation interrupted to do so.

This man knows how to behave in a hotel. He is AWARE that often, employees want to make sure that people using hotel amenities are asked if they are a guest!

He acted like an a-hole, made a disturbance, and this is the result when one does that. Police get called to remove the disturbance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies