Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

You know what else? The "black perspective" is not the only valid perspective here. Nor is the "Doubletree perspective" or the "police perspective" or any other one perspective. My gosh, hasn't anyone ever read the story of the blind men describing an elephant? They were all right to some extent but it was the whole, not the individual descriptions, that gave the whole picture.

I don't know, call me crazy, but I want to understand the whole picture, the whole scenario. Dismissing any one perspective by saying that a person can't possibly understand it because they aren't black (or fill in the blank) is just as ugly a sentiment as any other one sided perspective can be.

Maybe everyone involved was sort of racist, sort of expecting the worst from other people based on skin color. Who knows? That's why open minded people look at more than just a short clip of video, or listen to more than one side of a story.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what else? The "black perspective" is not the only valid perspective here. Nor is the "Doubletree perspective" or the "police perspective" or any other one perspective. My gosh, hasn't anyone ever read the story of the blind men describing an elephant? They were all right to some extent but it was the whole, not the individual descriptions, that gave the whole picture.

I don't know, call me crazy, but I want to understand the whole picture, the whole scenario. Dismissing any one perspective by saying that a person can't possibly understand it because they aren't black (or fill in the blank) is just as ugly a sentiment as any other one sided perspective can be.

Maybe everyone involved was sort of racist, sort of expecting the worst from other people based on skin color. Who knows? That's why open minded people look at more than just a short clip of video, or listen to more than one side of a story.

If you wanted to understand the whole picture, why were you focused so much on the black person social media account and reading it? In fairness, if you did not have or seek the social media accounts of the other participants, to see their background, it was unfair to have only the black persons background, which really showed nothing incriminating or showing a history of being highly sensitive to racism, I am assuming, because you never mentioned it.

The information you had was unbalanced.....hence....so was your analysis.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The ONLY reason I brought up their skin tone (as I hope you actually realize ) is because it is pertinent to this discussion. The discussion is about race. It's about being judged by one's skin color. It's about peoples' reactions to skin color.

Hopefully we got that straight. Now that we're attempting to have a logical discussion apparently and you're talking about objective definitions, let me first of all point out that yes, words have meanings - clearly defined meanings in most cases, so I'm glad we agree on that. Not to go too sideways on that, but dress codes have meanings as well. Mannerisms have meanings too (if you don't believe me, try giving the US "OK" signal with two fingers touching, to someone in Germany). But let's get back to the definition of words.

Racism:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Prejudice (now this is particularly interesting):

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prejudice

I agree on those definitions, and based on those definitions, I don't believe I am approaching this situation in either a racist or prejudiced manner. (shrug) You can judge yourself for yourself.

Bull SHip!! You brought up your kids color only to highlight YOU and to persuade that YOU and YOUR OPINION, is not motivated by racism. Your kids color has NOTHING to do with this story, no more than MY COLOR has anything to do with this story. Your kids were not there. The color of your kids is as about as pertinent to the story as the color of my kids gym shoes.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well.... many were given the book about Christ with one hand, and had their land and freedom taken with the other hand. Unless one is Jesus, they will always fall short of doing what Jesus would do. That having been said, no injustice has been righted via passivity and being free of anger over the situation.
There's nothing inherently wrong with anger. It's what you do with it that matters. You can be angry and derive strength and determination from that anger, and still carry yourself with dignity and integrity, or you can be angry and scream and yell and use that anger to justify all sorts of terrible behavior.

I've also never said I agree with passivity as an answer to any social injustice. You know what - you can be dignified, you can be calm - and you can still be very effective. Often moreso than employing other more ruthless means.

Quote:
“Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.”
Quote:
“The past is prophetic in that it asserts loudly that wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows”
Quote:
“The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of futility.”
Quote:
“Nonviolence is absolute commitment to the way of love."
Quote:
“Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”
Quote:
“I am not interested in power for power’s sake, but I’m interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good.”
Quote:
“People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don’t know each other; they don’t know each other because they have not communicated with each other.”
Great stuff there - and those aren't quotes from Jesus.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Bull SHip!! You brought up your kids color only to highlight YOU and to persuade that YOU and YOUR OPINION, is not motivated by racism. Your kids color has NOTHING to do with this story, no more than MY COLOR has anything to do with this story. Your kids were not there.
Sorry you insist on seeing it that way. The topic is racism, prejudice, judging others on the color of their skin. I have a perspective that differs from yours and I was explaining how I reached that perspective, and guess what - my perspective is absolutely as valid as yours.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Apparently not.

I’m sure it’s because he was on the phone or wore sneakers in a loafers only zone.

https://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/n...6-bf6c5a449c0a
Starting another race baiting thread I see.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry you insist on seeing it that way. The topic is racism, prejudice, judging others on the color of their skin. I have a perspective that differs from yours and I was explaining how I reached that perspective, and guess what - my perspective is absolutely as valid as yours.

No....the topic is not racism, in general. This is a particular incident that was possibly racially motivated. Nothing about YOUR LIFE adds any value in determining whether this incident was or was not racially motivated. Certainly the color of your kids add NOTHING to discovering the truth about the hotel incident. You only brought up your kids color as COVER for your motivation of being critical of the black person involved. Many white people, after saying something that sounds or is implicitly racist, will try to accredited their opinion by mentioning that some of their best friends are black or the black people they dated etc. You focused on your kids color, which was not germane at all to helping to discover the probable truth of the motivations for the hotel incident.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:59 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The police report saying he was loud.......meh -- really -- you are going to just assume the police didn't change their report once they realized the ridiculous nature of their actions.

Even if he was loud and rude......so what.

It happens in dealing with customers.

The officer, security guard and manager should have apologized and just let the man go.
No matter how loud Massey was before he showed his key -- it was all over then and the security guard needs to move away.

Also --- Massey clearly says -- you have cameras -- look at them. Not sure he would encourage that kind of action if he felt he was out of line.
So most likely he was loud and rude, and refused to be quieter in his conversation when asked nicely. So after he showed them the ID (after being rude and disrespectful) he should have been allowed to continue screaming into his phone and bothering everyone?

And the police would have no reason to lie on their report.....and obviously you are one of those customers who feel entitled to be rude when going to places.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
If you wanted to understand the whole picture, why were you focused so much on the black person social media account and reading it? In fairness, if you did not have or seek the social media accounts of the other participants, to see their background, it was unfair to have only the black persons background, which really showed nothing incriminating or showing a history of being highly sensitive to racism, I am assuming, because you never mentioned it.

The information you had was unbalanced.....hence....so was your analysis.
There was a whole lot of stuff on Massey's social media that I didn't mention much about, but believe me, I noticed it. Listen, he intended for his social media to be perused - he posts a lot of stuff on social media and the news accounts and Google are full of front and center links to his social media - it's actually hard NOT to look at his social media if you're interested in the story. The thing is - I didn't just look at a snippet of video, or one Tweet, or whatever. I just browsed down through his public profiles, like anyone could do.

Maybe he's cleaned it up now, I don't know. And yeah, I'm too lazy to try to figure out the 71 year old security guard's last name so I can look him up - I was going by mainstream media articles and the first page of Google searches (super easy for anyone to do) but call me prejudiced or judgmental - I would be willing to bet that if he does have a social media presence it's pretty boring because no news outlet has reported on it.

Hey, I think I WILL go look it up and see if he has the same online social media presence that Jermaine Massey has! Thanks for the push!

Old 12-30-2018, 01:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Think about it. We are moving to become a country where we have to walk around carrying PROOF that we belong....or face being arrested. Black people have always lived in such a USA. White people seem to be saying that they don't mind living in such a country. It seems that such a country is reminiscent of communist Russia.
um, ok, but what does that have to do with only paying guests being allowed to use amenities of a business?

As a guest, I have been doing things like being in the pool or whatever, and a new security guy comes on duty who didn't see me check in. I had to get out of the pool, get my key, and show them! I learned to leave keys on top of my towels and such to point to - this is not difficult.

If I refused and it escalated, you'd never hear about it because there is no such headline as swimming while white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies