Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No....the topic is not racism, in general. This is a particular incident that was possibly racially motivated. Nothing about YOUR LIFE adds any value in determining whether this incident was or was not racially motivated. Certainly the color of your kids add NOTHING to discovering the truth about the hotel incident. You only brought up your kids color as COVER for your motivation of being critical of the black person involved. Many white people, after saying something that sounds or is implicitly racist, will try to accredited their opinion by mentioning that some of their best friends are black or the black people they dated etc. You focused on your kids color.
LOL yeah that's right. "Some of my best friends are black. Oh, and my kids are too."

I focused on what I TAUGHT my kids, by the way. Not the color of their skin, though I certainly felt it was important to teach them how to carry themselves since racism does exist and I didn't want them to experience it if it could be avoided.

By the way, you know what group of kids made my kids the most miserable in junior high and high school? Just guess. And guess why. And then preach at me some more about racism.

Like I said, my perspective is just as valid as yours. We come from different backgrounds - why not learn from each other rather than insulting each other?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:07 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ghetto vibe because he's insulted that he's assumed to be loitering.

WOW......
Something about the way he spoke into the video and his overall body language and the way he was dressed. This is the kind of person who would be rude and disruptive, use profanity and refuse to stop when asked until the situation escalated. Many of these posters come from sheltered liberal bubbles and haven't really been exposed to the ghetto culture. Btw most black people I know (who are not ghetto) said of course Starbucks should have asked those two men to leave too and people like that usually love to make up B.S. and that a business doesn't even have to have a public bathroom.

Again he's not the first black person to enter the hotel but probably the first to be thrown out this way....

Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So most likely he was loud and rude, and refused to be quieter in his conversation when asked nicely. So after he showed them the ID (after being rude and disrespectful) he should have been allowed to continue screaming into his phone and bothering everyone?

And the police would have no reason to lie on their report.....and obviously you are one of those customers who feel entitled to be rude when going to places.
Right,once you create a disturbance, they don't want you as a guest anymore. What is funny about this story is that to believe that it was all racial, one has to believe this place never encounters black people. This is their first one and they lost their minds.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:10 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
um, ok, but what does that have to do with only paying guests being allowed to use amenities of a business?

As a guest, I have been doing things like being in the pool or whatever, and a new security guy comes on duty who didn't see me check in. I had to get out of the pool, get my key, and show them! I learned to leave keys on top of my towels and such to point to - this is not difficult.

If I refused and it escalated, you'd never hear about it because there is no such headline as swimming while white.

The fact is that if I am am legitimate, I don't want to be hassled and treated like I am illegitimate. I don't think it's an ideal country where you are assumed guilty until you present proof of your innocence. That is essentially what is going on.....but the application is subjective. Not everyone has to present proof....some people and races, apparently, look more innocent than guilty of something.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Something about the way he spoke into the video and his overall body language and the way he was dressed. This is the kind of person who would be rude and disruptive, use profanity and refuse to stop when asked until the situation escalated. Many of these posters come from sheltered liberal bubbles and haven't really been exposed to the ghetto culture. Btw most black people I know (who are not ghetto) said of course Starbucks should have asked those two men to leave too and people like that usually love to make up B.S. and that a business doesn't even have to have a public bathroom.

Again he's not the first black person to enter the hotel but probably the first to be thrown out this way....
Umm, not really, I grew up in The Bronx so I’m pretty familiar with the ghetto, your speculation knows no bounds and you can’t prove a single thing you’re saying. Posting what you “think” happened over and over, doesn’t make it fact.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Hey, Indentured Servant - sorry, but I can't find any social media by Earl Meyers of Portland, Oregon, and I also can't find the name of the hotel manager who was fired - can you help me out?

I did find this:

Quote:
In other videos, Mr. Massey, 34, acknowledges that he has become part of the continuing documentation, through cellphone videos and social media, of black people being confronted by white authority figures or bystanders while going about their everyday lives.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/u...-portland.html

So apparently, Jermaine Massey wants to reach a wide audience with his social media posts. Mission accomplished! Go, Jermaine! And now he will probably get a big chunk of money from Doubletree too - double win!

He just doesn't strike me as a downtrodden person or anyone whose been mistreated by society in general. Of course, I'm only basing that on his extensive social media presence which is quite public. Who knows the real suffering he's had to endure?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I was just reading about this. How does one get kicked out for using a lobby phone even after proving you are a registered guest there?

This kind of stuff happens far too often to get passed off as a one time stupid action.
The problem is the video does not show the entire interaction, Massy could have gotten smart with the security guard or the manager. I swear some black people are brainwashed to believe any time a white person questions them it is racist.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:14 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Portlandia? LMAO! Please, no!! Say it isn't so.

What happened? Did he give the spooky eye? Did he accidentally throw a gang sign scratching his balls? Oh, Hilton, you need to have more coaching meetings for your employees.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The fact is that if I am am legitimate, I don't want to be hassled and treated like I am illegitimate. I don't think it's an ideal country where you are assumed guilty until you present proof of your innocence. That is essentially what is going on.....but the application is subjective. Not everyone has to present proof....some people and races, apparently, look more innocent than guilty of something.
Then why do I get asked for proof that I am a guest in hotels sometimes? I am white.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
The problem is the video does not show the entire interaction, Massy could have gotten smart with the security guard or the manager. I swear some black people are brainwashed to believe any time a white person questions them it is racist.
I think it's worse than that. Why on earth would he want to use the lobby phone? There is a phone in his room and one in his pocket. That makes no sense. He used the hotel lobby phone, leaving his cell free to FILM the incident he created. It's a scam, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies