Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 11:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think you are a person with good intentions who consciously tries to go against the grain of racism, however, you might not fully grasp what racism is......like a many whites. You can only act against YOUR DEFINITION of racism However, what if your definition is incomplete and or flawed? Hence, you give a pass to things that fall through the gaps of your conscious definition. You might not even realize your own subconscious racism, if you have it, because you have defined racism as such to exclude yourself. I mean....after all.....a racist would not have "dark children". Well...Thomas Jefferson might have.
Oh brother. I am proud of my kids and grandkids and frankly, I think they're smart and beautiful. I married their father - I am not one iota ashamed of that decision or of the beautiful kids that union produced. (Unlike Thomas Jefferson, but I digress - wow, that's a crazy leap for you to take.)

Everyone has their own definition of racism, of prejudice, you and me both included. And perhaps all those definitions are incomplete or flawed. Hmmm... And I think we are all somewhat unable to see things from the perspective of others, you and me both included. That's why it's so important to try to be objective, to really look at situations from as many different perspectives as possible. Yes, I do think that loving so many family members of so many different skin tones and ethnicities has given me a unique opportunity to speak frankly and honestly with them, to hear their stories, to experience things alongside them - these are opportunities that some people don't have, and that's OK too, but it does broaden one's horizons, just like for instance, living overseas does, or traveling a lot, or being both wealthy and poor over one's lifetime, etc.

But speaking of social media, you know what jumped out at me IMMEDIATELY regarding Massey's social media? The lack of diversity, for lack of a better word. I see a lot of that in real life and on social media. I always find it interesting. I live in a very diverse state, and come from a diverse background, so I'm a little more aware of this than maybe some people, but hey, it's just me but I enjoy the company of people who have a wide circle of real friends in real life - different ages, different races, different social classes, different political and religious beliefs. But maybe I'm just weird.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
I want to ask everyone a history question. What great social wrong has ever been "righted" with people simply being polite about the wrong? Social progress has never come without deep emotions and pain....or without loss of life. We have emotions to inspire needed ACTIONS that produce the REACTIONS for change to the better in the long run. Black people SHOULD not be silent. Yes, we will not always be right, but not being always right does not mean that we should not be emotional and should not act out to being profiled. What would happen if we remained silent and passive? It would only embolden the behavior.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:02 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Were you wearing a sign that noted you didn't have a room there?

No, I walked in, looked around couldn't find a restroom because they had done some remodeling and I asked to use the bathroom. I should add this hotel in downtown Milwaukee has a problem with homeless people and people just coming in to use the bathroom. They must have a strict policy, not once did I think it was because I was Polish and with my nose there's no hiding that fact.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh brother. I am proud of my kids and grandkids and frankly, I think they're smart and beautiful. I married their father - I am not one iota ashamed of that decision or of the beautiful kids that union produced. (Unlike Thomas Jefferson, but I digress - wow, that's a crazy leap for you to take.)

Everyone has their own definition of racism, of prejudice, you and me both included. And perhaps all those definitions are incomplete or flawed. Hmmm... And I think we are all somewhat unable to see things from the perspective of others, you and me both included. That's why it's so important to try to be objective, to really look at situations from as many different perspectives as possible. Yes, I do think that loving so many family members of so many different skin tones and ethnicities has given me a unique opportunity to speak frankly and honestly with them, to hear their stories, to experience things alongside them - these are opportunities that some people don't have, and that's OK too, but it does broaden one's horizons, just like for instance, living overseas does, or traveling a lot, or being both wealthy and poor over one's lifetime, etc.

But speaking of social media, you know what jumped out at me IMMEDIATELY regarding Massey's social media? The lack of diversity, for lack of a better word. I see a lot of that in real life and on social media. I always find it interesting. I live in a very diverse state, and come from a diverse background, so I'm a little more aware of this than maybe some people, but hey, it's just me but I enjoy the company of people who have a wide circle of real friends in real life - different ages, different races, different social classes, different political and religious beliefs. But maybe I'm just weird.

When I speak of the beauty of my kids, I don't talk about their color. Just saying. Their color has nothing to do with it or with my love for them. You keep beating the drum of your kids color. I hope that has nothing to do why you are proud of them. I would hope you would be just as proud if they were lily white.

If everyone had their own working definition of terms, instead of using what is officially DEFINED, then the purpose of language would be defeated, because its predicated upon clearly defined words that convey an aspect of reality. I do not use my own definition of racism. I use what the dictionary has.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Surveillance Cameras are cheap, cheap, cheap -- all businesses and properties should have them.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
When I speak of the beauty of my kids, I don't talk about their color. Just saying. Their color has nothing to do with it or with my love for them. You keep beating the drum of your kids color. I hope that has nothing to do why you are proud of them. I would hope you would be just as proud if they were lily white.

If everyone had their own working definition of terms, instead of using what is officially DEFINED, then the purpose of language would be defeated, because its predicated upon clearly defined words that convey an aspect of reality. I do not use my own definition of racism. I use what the dictionary has.
The ONLY reason I brought up their skin tone (as I hope you actually realize ) is because it is pertinent to this discussion. The discussion is about race. It's about being judged by one's skin color. It's about peoples' reactions to skin color.

Hopefully we got that straight. Now that we're attempting to have a logical discussion apparently and you're talking about objective definitions, let me first of all point out that yes, words have meanings - clearly defined meanings in most cases, so I'm glad we agree on that. Not to go too sideways on that, but dress codes have meanings as well. Mannerisms have meanings too (if you don't believe me, try giving the US "OK" signal with two fingers touching, to someone in Germany). But let's get back to the definition of words.

Racism:

Quote:
racism noun
rac·​ism | \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \
Definition of racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Prejudice (now this is particularly interesting):
Quote:
prejudice noun
prej·​u·​dice | \ˈpre-jə-dəs \
Definition of prejudice (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights
especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims
2a(1) : preconceived judgment or opinion

(2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge

b : an instance of such judgment or opinion
c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prejudice

I agree on those definitions, and based on those definitions, I don't believe I am approaching this situation in either a racist or prejudiced manner. (shrug) You can judge yourself for yourself.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Think about it. We are moving to become a country where we have to walk around carrying PROOF that we belong....or face being arrested. Black people have always lived in such a USA. White people seem to be saying that they don't mind living in such a country. It seems that such a country is reminiscent of communist Russia.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I want to ask everyone a history question. What great social wrong has ever been "righted" with people simply being polite about the wrong? Social progress has never come without deep emotions and pain....or without loss of life. We have emotions to inspire needed ACTIONS that produce the REACTIONS for change to the better in the long run. Black people SHOULD not be silent. Yes, we will not always be right, but not being always right does not mean that we should not be emotional and should not act out to being profiled. What would happen if we remained silent and passive? It would only embolden the behavior.
We live in a world full of flawed people, flawed applications, disease, war, injustice, etc. That's why personally, I look to the best examples I can find when it comes to how to handle social injustices, though there are all sorts of ways they CAN be handled (French Revolution, anyone?). You know who really handled himself well when he was targeted by bigots and the powers that be? Jesus Christ. Wow. If you're not familiar with the story, you may want to read up on it. Jesus was no flower tossing mealy mouthed weakling. He was very witty and direct in fact. And he ticked a lot of people off. Yes, he was killed for his positions on many things, but I wouldn't say he was defeated.

NO ONE should feel constrained to be silent or just suck it up or play along to get along. We have to take a stand for what's right. But there are lots of ways to do that without lowering our own standards or our own dignity.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We live in a world full of flawed people, flawed applications, disease, war, injustice, etc. That's why personally, I look to the best examples I can find when it comes to how to handle social injustices, though there are all sorts of ways they CAN be handled (French Revolution, anyone?). You know who really handled himself well when he was targeted by bigots and the powers that be? Jesus Christ. Wow. If you're not familiar with the story, you may want to read up on it. Jesus was no flower tossing mealy mouthed weakling. He was very witty and direct in fact. And he ticked a lot of people off. Yes, he was killed for his positions on many things, but I wouldn't say he was defeated.

NO ONE should feel constrained to be silent or just suck it up or play along to get along. We have to take a stand for what's right. But there are lots of ways to do that without lowering our own standards or our own dignity.

Well.... many were given the book about Christ with one hand, and had their land and freedom taken with the other hand. Unless one is Jesus, they will always fall short of doing what Jesus would do. That having been said, no injustice has been righted via passivity and being free of anger over the situation.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Admittedly, I don't know you. I also don't know about your family and its relevance on a message board is zero, primarily because none of us know anyone else so we shouldn't be having a "Who's family is more diverse" measuring stick contest with one another.

What does matter is how we present ourselves, and no matter how diverse your family may be, you still come off as someone with inherent prejudices.

I work in hospitality management and I can tell you that the law aside, I would never allow my staff members to behave in this manner. There is a procedure that we follow. We check the key packet, we ask for last name, and when it turns out that that person -- regardless of who it is -- is a registered guest, we pat him on the back, offer him a bottle of water, and remove ourselves from the situation. Sometimes hubris gets in the way for some people. They handled this situation wrong and they're going to pay the embarrassing price for it. How anyone can remark differently reflects additionally on how good or bad their own customer relations would be in whatever business they're in.

I might actually agree with you a little here, but only because I'm not naive and his responses were one in which he didn't mind allowing the situation to play out (I didn't actually review his social media). I've had incidents play out where I knew a guest wanted to capitalize on a situation. However, they played right into his hand! It is one of the most hapless, awful customer service performances I've seen in a while. They literally stand there after it is obvious that he's a guest instead of making a human connection and allowing the man to return to his business and for them to return to theirs.

So, yeah, it's difficult to victim blame here. He handled himself in a perfectly reasonable manner and they did not.
And what do you do if they will not give you their name or show you their key so you can verify they are a guest? Shrug and walk away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies