Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times

Advertisements

And another comment -- it's amazing that the Imus In the Morning program lasted until 2018 when he retired. A show like that wouldn't last 5 days if it was being launched in today's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
That's actually a pretty common word in some Asian communities in CA (source: many Asian friends).

It's certainly only used with each other, and generally used to mock newer immigrants (generally in a playful way from what I've observed).
Yes, I know. It was an Asian friend who taught me about it in the first place. Interestingly, I worked for a while with many Asians from different countries and they all said negative things about the OTHER countries. So disliking people because they have a different culture is not unique to white Americans as the left would have you believe.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytwo View Post
hurricane laronda sounds like a sassy good time tbh
lmao.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:26 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And another comment -- it's amazing that the Imus In the Morning program lasted until 2018 when he retired. A show like that wouldn't last 5 days if it was being launched these days.
The culture shift is vast.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I grew up in the fifties, that is the way it was.
Ditto, I was born in 1938 and grew up in the Forties and Fifties.

However, I can remember adults snig gering at Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet, etc. because they found them so slick-as-a-whistle idealized middle class that they might as well have been set on Mars as far as working class people were concerned.

"That was the way it was" could not have been said for a very, very large slice of the American population in the Fifties. Our lives had far less syrup and sugar, and far more spice and a lot of pepper. It was more like a pizza than whipped cream.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Lol... a perfect illustration of the thread's premise.
lol..I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto, I was born in 1938 and grew up in the Forties and Fifties.

However, I can remember adults snig gering at Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet, etc. because they found them so slick-as-a-whistle idealized middle class that they might as well have been set on Mars as far as working class people were concerned.

"That was the way it was" could not have been said for a very, very large slice of the American population in the Fifties. Our lives had far less syrup and sugar, and far more spice and a lot of pepper. It was more like a pizza than whipped cream.
While I am not nearly as old as you, I grew up in the 60's, and 70's but remember the idealized, White Bread America those shows portrayed. It may NOT have been exactly what we were, but it is what we ASPIRED to be. Honest, law abiding, sometimes a bit mischievous, hard working, and American. Not Gay, not male buffoons, not people scamming the system, not overly critical of our country, nor society.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
[font="Garamond"]....Actually, my mom had no pearls, but she did mop the floor dressed up for work. Most families in my block had stay at home moms, as did my cousins who lived nearby, we never locked our doors. I walked to school, times were gentler, the pace was slower, in the 60s everything changed.
Not in my home town. Life was largely the same. It wasn't until the Seventies that I saw widespread change starting to make its appearance there. It took time for national political events, urban events and events on college campuses to filter down to real life in the rest of the country. As someone already pointed out, lots of bubbles in American society and not all - by any means - reflected in the squeaky-clean world of Beaver, Father Knows Best, et al. The Archie Bunkers were legion.

Last edited by kevxu; 01-04-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM

662 posts, read 313,715 times
Hmmm, the religious right were the ones complaining about what can and can't be on TV for most of TV's history. Remember how 2 actors couldn't be shown in the same bed even acting the role of a married couple because it was too taboo. And I don't mean sexual scenes. On the Dick Van Dyke show, Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore have 2 separate beds in their bedroom. This went on for years as Christians made TV rules and they cheered. They are now mad that they don't get to make all the noise about how the TV is bothering them and people triggered by other things are more noisy now.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 PM

780 posts, read 426,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Millennials grew up watching this show........

Do people not realize that many millennials are pushing 40????
I'm 33, and I love Seinfeld.

Who raised these kids anyway? Oh wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies