Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:23 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://fee.org/articles/california-...s-study-finds/

Quote:
California’s failed gun control law appears to be yet another example of experts, to quote the great Milton Friedman, judging “policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.”

Despite the dismal record of gun control, expect the media and “experts” to use a repertoire of self-justifications rather than modify their beliefs—regardless of what the evidence shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Saw this posted before does not surprise me. The state even paid for the study.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
from the article:

"Essentially, the study’s authors, the AMA, and the Post appear incapable of seriously entertaining the possibility
that sweeping gun control legislation might not have produced the results desired and expected: fewer deaths."

my opinion:
the legislation DID produce the results California wanted: more control and less liberty.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:32 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Default California’s Background Check Law Had No Impact on Gun Deaths, Johns Hopkins Study Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Gun control has never been about our safety, it is only about control. Read your world history, it is much easier to control citizens when they (us) are unarmed. Even Gandhi was against gun control.

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. Mahatma Gandhi

On the other hand
Stalin loved it.

One man with a gun can control 100 without one. Vladimir Lenin

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin

If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves. Joseph Stalin

Old 01-07-2019, 05:28 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Gun control has never been about our safety, it is only about control. Read your world history, it is much easier to control citizens when they (us) are unarmed. Even Gandhi was against gun control.

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. Mahatma Gandhi

On the other hand
Stalin loved it.

One man with a gun can control 100 without one. Vladimir Lenin

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Joseph Stalin

If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves. Joseph Stalin

You don't have to go too far to discredit the Gandhi quote as taken out of context, indeed it is part of a longer quote in which he urged Indians to fight for Britain during WW1.

What Gandhi really thought about guns - Waging Nonviolence

As for Stalin he said a lot of things, and wasn't a particuarly nice man. It also should be noted that it was the people, many of whom had weapons that carried out the revolution in Russia which led to despots like Stalin taking power in the first place.

As for gun controls the US already has them, indeed you can't buy many military grade fully automatic weapons.

Other countries have further controls on some semi automatic weapons or high powered weapons, however guns are perfectly legal in the vast majority of countries, whilst hunting and gun sports are popular in many countries across the world.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
After hearing about this: https://publicintegrity.org/environm...rongly-denied/

I'd say the credibility and integrity of Johns Hopkins are questionable at best.

And just HOW is one supposed to prove that any law hasn't deterred someone from doing something?

Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
After hearing about this: https://publicintegrity.org/environm...rongly-denied/

I'd say the credibility and integrity of Johns Hopkins are questionable at best.

And just HOW is one supposed to prove that any law hasn't deterred someone from doing something?

You will find the vast majority of the shooting community is OK with background checks. The fact there is a requirement for one nationwide that only takes a few minutes is mostly OK with us. CA has had their ridiculous law with its two week waiting period in place for 30 + years and can't show it has made any difference in gun crime. It only impacts honest citizens.

Now, the instant check law in effect now I have first hand seen stop ineligible people from getting a gun through a legal dealer. You ask if CAs law hasn't stopped SOMEONE who shouldn't have a gun from getting one...well...sure, it probably has. But you're talking a number so low as to be insignificant. 99.99% of people who are barred from legal gun purchases know full well they can't get a gun from Cabelas.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
You will find the vast majority of the shooting community is OK with background checks. The fact there is a requirement for one nationwide that only takes a few minutes is mostly OK with us. CA has had their ridiculous law with its two week waiting period in place for 30 + years and can't show it has made any difference in gun crime. It only impacts honest citizens.

Now, the instant check law in effect now I have first hand seen stop ineligible people from getting a gun through a legal dealer. You ask if CAs law hasn't stopped SOMEONE who shouldn't have a gun from getting one...well...sure, it probably has. But you're talking a number so low as to be insignificant. 99.99% of people who are barred from legal gun purchases know full well they can't get a gun from Cabelas.
Not only am I fine with background checks being conducted on me, be it for purchasing a gun or for a job interview, I prefer it. In other words, I am the type that wants to feel like it is required of me. I have not been convicted of a crime so far or arrested (outside of in games), so I want the necessary skeletons in my closet to be exposed.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
No, but understand that expanded background checks are the first step.

In fact, that's EXACTLY what Gabby Giffords just said. And look what followed after California's expanded background checks: registration, confiscation, 10-day waiting period, one-handgun-a-month limit (proposed now to apply to long guns, also)...

Wake up, sheeple.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
from the article:

my opinion:
the legislation DID produce the results California wanted: more control and less liberty.
So you support the freedom of convicted felons to own guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies