Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contributed most to the decline of the Rust Belt?
Unfair trade agreements /outsourcing 32 39.51%
Government overregulation including the EPA 8 9.88%
Unions becoming too demanding 24 29.63%
Overtaxation of American industries 5 6.17%
Competition from the Sun Belt 10 12.35%
Deterioration of race relations in Rust Belt cities 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The big problem we are starting to face is that there's a segment of our society that will never be able to support themselves, they are simply unemployable.

A German professor I had once explained that Germany could never have the public school system like the U.S. system. "We simply could not support this many unemployable citizens."

As more and more retail switches to online, people do self check-out at the remaining bricks and mortar stores, and ordering kiosks replace cashiers, ... a whole segment of jobs for the minimally educated are disappearing and unlikely ever to return..

Time for Soylent Green ? Or bring on the ritual of Carrousel....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
The biggest loss of jobs from manufacturing is automation and modernization. So, none of the provided choices, as tasty as blaming other countries and dark people are.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The biggest loss of jobs from manufacturing is automation and modernization. So, none of the provided choices, as tasty as blaming other countries and dark people are.

Right...
China , India and Mexico all have booming middle classes yet ours stagnated or fell during the same time period. And what a coincidence...those are the same low cost countries we sent work to. But the biggest loss is from automation and modernization....right... not buying it, like many do here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/o...and-india.html

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ddle-class.asp

Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM

25,760 posts, read 12,840,301 times
401K's

Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Right...
China , India and Mexico all have booming middle classes yet ours stagnated or fell during the same time period. And what a coincidence...those are the same low cost countries we sent work to. But the biggest loss is from automation and modernization....right... not buying it, like many do here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/02/o...and-india.html

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ddle-class.asp
Manufacturing output hasn't decreased, jobs have. That's efficiency. You can stick your head in the sand and blame whatever you want, but it doesn't change the reality. India, China and the like are a developing middle class, not unlike post-war US. Their time will come as right now manpower is cheaper than technology. It will change, just like it did for us. They'll likely blame someone else too, like the Nigerians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufa..._charts_v1.png

You may not buy it, but you're "buying" it.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
This guy's lectures are all very good (link below), and explain what happened in full. Watch a couple of them. Pay attention to when he starts speaking about Bretton Woods and shipping security (in this video or others).

In short, we gave up our manufacturing in order to be able to absorb the manufacturing output of other nations toward better global security (trade security, etc). I'm not saying that I agree with it as the lifespan of the "new world order" of US assured secured international trade seemed to have been too short to justify the internal damage done to this nation. The net effect is that we essentially created a huge economic and population bubble in this nation and others (such as China) to enrich the elite classes while hollowing out middle America as thanks for their World War service. A system that is coming to an end, according to Peter Zeihan and the direction our international policy has been pointing to for a fair amount of time (well before Trump).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFjr-Q1qi-g

Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfASWPpeZLE

Here is a quick lesson on what has happened.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,712 times
You baby boomers really have to remove yourselves from the 1960s and 70s. Those economies don't exist and haven't for nearly half a century now. I don't think it is all doom and gloom in the Mid West, but it is noonger a manufacturer like it was in 1961. Let it go already.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
None of the above. Time is the biggest reason - all things come to pass. Nothing is forever and it is time for America to move beyond steel.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
I voted for government regulation for the demise of Rust Belt. But it is really a comination of factors that led to the decline of The Rust Belt. Very strong Unions forced businesses to relocate production to the Sunbelt or out of the country all together. Unfair trade deals like NAFTA, but also note that NAFTA did hurt Mexico as well in the beginning. Race relations did not cause much dysfunction, both the black and the white man in the Rust Belt are in the same boat. The only way to escape it is to leave.

Their is a documentary called Two American Families. For me, Two American Famillies was one of the saddest things I saw to the point in which I cried. I only saw this once. And when I saw this documentary, I knew America was going to have either a populist right, or a populist left candidate, and how neoliberalism failed America. The documentary has a span of 25 years and it shows two families. One black, one white similar outcome. Both are trying to survive the economic changes of Milwaukee. This documentary can easily show the reason why Donald Trump got elected. As for me, I'm putting blame on Ronald Reagan, Bush Sr, Bill Clinton, Bush Jr, and Obama for what we are going through now as a nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mK_W79RY4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies