Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contributed most to the decline of the Rust Belt?
Unfair trade agreements /outsourcing 32 39.51%
Government overregulation including the EPA 8 9.88%
Unions becoming too demanding 24 29.63%
Overtaxation of American industries 5 6.17%
Competition from the Sun Belt 10 12.35%
Deterioration of race relations in Rust Belt cities 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,794,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Your list of contributing factors is both incomplete and terribly skewed.

I decline to vote in this poll.
I agree. Besides I still want to know where all the fletcher, bowyer, and wheelwright jobs went!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM

10,264 posts, read 15,989,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oil is not a limitless asset. We need to eventually have better public transportation, nationwide and switch to other methods of fueling private vehicles.

I picked one example.

I'm a Boomer and I bought my first car, a small import, prior to the oil embargo. My father called me a fool for buying the car that I bought. He had to eat his words when the embargo started.

Nothing about the demise of places in the rust belt goes for all places. It also can't be boiled down to politics. There was nothing political about bad management in the car industry.
But its political when the government negotiates unfair trade agreements with other countries for geopolitical purposes. For example the government felt it was in the world's interests to have a rebuilt Japan (and others) friendly to the U.S. especially in the context of the Cold War, the Soviet Union and Communist China. This was the motivation behind unfair trade deals that allowed Japanese automakers to flood the United States with their products, knowing this will hurt American workers in the Rust Belt especially Detroit.

The spirit of the TPP and NAFTA was to redistribute American wealth and in the case of the TPP to prevent Southeast Asian countries from becoming part of China's sphere of influence and trading with China instead. Again our government was willing to sacrifice American manufacturing and the Rust Belt would have borne the brunt of this. So regardless of corporate policies, outsourcing happens because our government allows it to through unfair trade agreements where America is the weaker party.

Obama and Bill Clinton (when he signed NAFTA) believed in the redistribution of wealth internationally and an America that was more "generous" and globalist vs taking care of our national interests like with President Trump. Same with how Obama was willing to sacrifice West Virginia and the rest of Appalachia in the War on Coal for the sake of internationalism and agreements like the Paris accord which I'm glad Trump pulled us out of.

I don't see how we have benefited from trade with China and Mexico except some cheaper consumer goods, most of which are poorly made. I think the entire Rust Belt was sacrificed for geopolitical reasons.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,810,200 times
yes the people in the rust belt was sacrificed for NAFTA

Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,513,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
yes the people in the rust belt was sacrificed for NAFTA
They were dead before Nafta.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,932,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
CEOs mostly make incentive compensation based on maximizing shareholder value. Their base pay is far smaller than the incentives, which are tied to contractual goals.
Most of those are shortsighted decisions for short-term profits.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,428,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
They were dead before Nafta.
The Rust Belt started "rusting" in the 1970s...perhaps even the 1960s.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:34 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,771,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But its political when the government negotiates unfair trade agreements with other countries for geopolitical purposes. For example the government felt it was in the world's interests to have a rebuilt Japan (and others) friendly to the U.S. especially in the context of the Cold War, the Soviet Union and Communist China. This was the motivation behind unfair trade deals that allowed Japanese automakers to flood the United States with their products, knowing this will hurt American workers in the Rust Belt especially Detroit.

The spirit of the TPP and NAFTA was to redistribute American wealth and in the case of the TPP to prevent Southeast Asian countries from becoming part of China's sphere of influence and trading with China instead. Again our government was willing to sacrifice American manufacturing and the Rust Belt would have borne the brunt of this. So regardless of corporate policies, outsourcing happens because our government allows it to through unfair trade agreements where America is the weaker party.

Obama and Bill Clinton (when he signed NAFTA) believed in the redistribution of wealth internationally and an America that was more "generous" and globalist vs taking care of our national interests like with President Trump. Same with how Obama was willing to sacrifice West Virginia and the rest of Appalachia in the War on Coal for the sake of internationalism and agreements like the Paris accord which I'm glad Trump pulled us out of.

I don't see how we have benefited from trade with China and Mexico except some cheaper consumer goods, most of which are poorly made. I think the entire Rust Belt was sacrificed for geopolitical reasons.
Your theory gives me a headache. The car debacle was self inflicted by incompetent nincompoops running the companies. That's different from the steel mills closing in Pittsburgh, and the furniture factories closing in Grand Rapids.

It was not one size fits all.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,906,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah right...it’s all the Union’s fault.

Nothing to do with corporate greed. Nah...that played no part. Paying people good wages that boosted the tax base of an entire region is what ruined EVERYTHING. SMH
Not all the Union's fault. Unfair trade agreements like NAFTA hurt as well. Corporate greed and overpaying top execs and CEOs. What about Union greed?
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...-union-bosses/

Old 01-08-2019, 03:36 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,606,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...the black population? In the Deep South, there’s a helluva lot of entrenched poverty in the white population too. And they’ve lived in it for generations and it’s all they know too.

And I damn sure can’t figure out what poor southern black people have to do with Rust Belt decline. But as usual, you just HAD to throw that in, huh?
the topic is the rust belt, not the deep south

didn't take long for you to make this racist rant, but considering who you are; not a bit surprised.

failure of the Rust Belt has a lot to do with the UAW so I voted the unions were too demanding.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 AM

51,685 posts, read 25,947,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
For decades, management in the automotive industry refused to make decent small cars. That meant that Boomers bought small imports and then graduated to larger imports. It was very simple. It was gross mismanagement in that sector. Each sector had its own reason. Trying to make it political is grossly wrong.
Bingo.

Detroit lost out to better products.

For years, we only bought American cars. With the exception of one memorable Chevy Suburban, they all required constant repairs and fell apart at about 80,000 miles.

We had a Chevy Super Sport that blew valve springs about once a week. A Dodge sedan that we should have set fire to. ...

Then we bought a Subaru. It could out climb a Jeep on snowy roads. Everyone wanted to go sledding with our family. We drove it until it rusted out. I bet it's still running, hauling dog food for some musher.

We now drive Toyotas.

I wouldn't go back to Fix Or Repair Daily for love nor money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies