Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So your logic is that "we can pay for all cheaper than we can pay for some"?

It's a consumer service. Those who want/need it are free to buy it (subject to their own limitations). I'm not saying anyone should be denied it, I'm just saying no one (e.g., taxpayers) should be buying it for the masses. No one is entitled to it. It's not a right.

For those who cry "but some will die", guess what? We're all going to die anyhow. I have very good health insurance which I work hard for, but my doctor have never mentioned immortality as part of the services available under it. Life's not fair. Suck it up.
If it weren't for Medicare/Medicaid, the average life expectancy would probably be around 60, and the child mortality rate much higher.

It's 2019. No civilized country would be okay with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:07 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
1) One definition of 'promote' is: further the progress of (something, especially a cause, venture, or aim)

2) Promote does not mean create road-blocks as in Congress barring MediCare from negotiating prescription drug prices
"Get a job". There, I've promoted welfare; fare thee well.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If it weren't for Medicare/Medicaid, the average life expectancy would probably be around 60, and the child mortality rate much higher.

It's 2019. No civilized country would be okay with that.
Medicare is 1) intended to provide for older people; and 2) paid for by a 2.9% tax on earned income. It is not an entitlement, but is paid for over a lifetime on contributions to those who receive benefits in later life.

Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that helps with medical costs for some people with limited income and resources. It does not normally cover the depth and breadth of services available through private insurance plans should not be expected to. Medicaid is more or less charity which the recipients have never contributed to.

Putting everyone on will bankrupt the system. It was never designed to have more taken out financially than is put in. Trying to wring more out of those already pulling their own weight is not acceptable. If you want it, then *you* buy it. You, and your children, are not my responsibility. I have my own kids to care for.

Healthcare costs are out of control, and healthcare profits are skyrocketing. It's a profitable business under capitalism, but advances in medicine would never occur under any other economic system. Dems the facts. Live with it. Personally I think in many cases too much effort is made to extend life where no quality of life exists. And like I said, at the end of it all we're all going to die anyhow.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Wow! What a silly idea. Especially if you’re a taxpayer there.

Sure makes me happy I don’t live in New York.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What does this have to do with immigration? So now, our citizens should be denied health coverage for all, which by the way would benefit YOU as well, because you're afraid it will encourage illegal immigration? Seriously?
NYC is going to extend comprehensive health coverage to the hundreds of thousands of illegals in NYC, so yes this does have something to do with illegal immigration in that it will encourage even more to come.

I'm actually all for a medicare for all type system so long as "all" only includes citizens and legal residents. No social benefits should be extended to illegals.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So your logic is that "we can pay for all cheaper than we can pay for some"?

It's a consumer service. Those who want/need it are free to buy it (subject to their own limitations). I'm not saying anyone should be denied it, I'm just saying no one (e.g., taxpayers) should be buying it for the masses. No one is entitled to it. It's not a right.

For those who cry "but some will die", guess what? We're all going to die anyhow. I have very good health insurance which I work hard for, but my doctor have never mentioned immortality as part of the services available under it. Life's not fair. Suck it up.
Yes, it is cheaper to pay for all than some. Hands down. Remove the middle man. Remove the for-profit "insurance" companies and for-profit hospitals and negotiate actual costs, not 100x inflated costs. Between what my company pays and my premiums, I'm personally contributing roughly $7,000/year to a for-profit insurance company, and get nothing in return until I spend another $1000. That's $8,000 that has to be spent before I receive anything from my "share"

I've been out of college for 7 years now. That's $49,000 in premiums paid to a corporation that I've gotten probably $500-700 of value out of. Assuming I remain healthy for the next 10-15 years, we're looking at $150-200k worth of premiums paid. That'll cover pretty much anything, sort of ongoing cancer care or maybe a heart transplant.

That's the issue with the current system. Those who have "insurance" pay in thousands per year and get next to nothing out of it, unless you hit some lofty "deductible". So people don't get care unless they really, really need it.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
Free healthcare...free housing...free social services and etc. How will America sustain this while trying to take care of its own citizens?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:02 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Just when you think it can't get any stupid... Here come the mayor of NYC!!

Thank God that I don't live or work there anymore cuz city residents and people who work in the city are in for a really big surprise when that bill comes in!!

This will explode in a matter of months and I hope NYC has enough money in their other State funded social programs cuz all these illegal aliens will also need the all the free welfare benefits too... At the cost to our own poor and senior citizens who will now either not qualify or receive "reduced" amounts... Since all those illegals are more important than our own citizens and legal residents.

Good luck with this one NYC... You outdid yourself this time!! Not to worry!! Your elected officials will think something far more stupid in a few months!!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:10 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Yes, it is cheaper to pay for all than some. Hands down. Remove the middle man. Remove the for-profit "insurance" companies and for-profit hospitals and negotiate actual costs, not 100x inflated costs. Between what my company pays and my premiums, I'm personally contributing roughly $7,000/year to a for-profit insurance company, and get nothing in return until I spend another $1000. That's $8,000 that has to be spent before I receive anything from my "share"

I've been out of college for 7 years now. That's $49,000 in premiums paid to a corporation that I've gotten probably $500-700 of value out of. Assuming I remain healthy for the next 10-15 years, we're looking at $150-200k worth of premiums paid. That'll cover pretty much anything, sort of ongoing cancer care or maybe a heart transplant.

That's the issue with the current system. Those who have "insurance" pay in thousands per year and get next to nothing out of it, unless you hit some lofty "deductible". So people don't get care unless they really, really need it.
Perfectly said, I hardly use my insurance and have been paying premiums for years. I worry that insurance companies can just decide to cancel all plans in a certain state, then after paying for so many years, you get nothing and out in the cold? What if you have been healthy and just doing the responsible thing of getting the insurance just in case, then if they decide to cancel plans, all that money, just gone?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...504046171.html

Thoughts? I think his is a terrible idea but I would rather see it at a local/state level than federal.

Price?

40 trillion.

Who pays?

The rich, of course.

Tax the rich 70%. In New York, that would come out to be 86% tax to them.

The bottom 50% of Americans pay 2.83% which means the top half pay 97.17%.

So tax the already over-taxed 40 trillion more.

You idiots spout off everyday at the top of your skulls how Trump is a liar!

Do the MATH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies