Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
sears used to do that. they are almost bankrupt...……………..
Yes. Sears used to sell kit houses in the 18-1900s. The first house I lived in from newborn-5 years old was a Sears Victorian.

Sears also was complacent as the years went on.

When Amazon came around... they didn't compete with pricing. They didn't offer a significant compelling reason or advantage over online retailers.

Asinine Regulations and complacency kill...

I guarantee if I did as I proposed, designed and assembled the components for "kit cars" Ford GM etc would all point and laugh and say I cater to a niche market.
Joke would be on them. These wouldn't be fiberglass 32 roadsters or some futuristic / supercar looking vehicles...

They'd be cars and trucks that most people want as the alternative on the mainstream market is overpriced for what they are and chock full of .gov mandated equipment that arbitrarily adds cost and forwarded to we, the consumer, under the disguise of safety...

See there's more than 1 way to skin a cat...
Take for example emissions control devices. Catalytic converters do not need to be made of rare earth metals... they could be made of graphene and other engineered materials that result in the same function...

Traction control? Stability control? ABS? 87 airbags?
Those don't have to be standard features. I don't want them. I know alot of other people who don't want them either. They should be optional. If you want them pay for them.

Look at the price of new vehicles today.
It isn't even remotely comparable even with inflation accounted for to just 20 30 years ago...

When a half ton chit box work truck is 40k dollars... there's a problem... a big problem.
When a "mid sized" sedan is starting at low to mid 30s...
There's a problem.

I would bring something to market that with labor for assembly would be 20k tops. But that's only because it isn't chock full of .gov mandatory features.
Air bags aren't cheap. 5 point harnesses are...
Developing and testing stability and traction control isn't cheap either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I wouldn't want to fly with this going on. Personally I think after this weekend, all Federal Employees should consider. Walking off the job. I don't see continuing allowing yourself to be treated this way. Would be the right thing to do.

We have a completely dysfunctional Govt, and ATC experienced how cruel it can be under Reagan. At this point though Enough is Enough. File suits. If they don't work, and this is going on and on. Then Walk Out.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Snowflakes. Privatize AT Control.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
If we privatize air traffic control, who do we sue when planes collide?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Snowflakes. Privatize AT Control.
Won’t happen, but there would still be government oversight if it did.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:28 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wouldn't want to fly with this going on. Personally I think after this weekend, all Federal Employees should consider. Walking off the job. I don't see continuing allowing yourself to be treated this way. Would be the right thing to do.
What about the air traveller are they the enemy now?
Quote:
We have a completely dysfunctional Govt, and ATC experienced how cruel it can be under Reagan. At this point though Enough is Enough. File suits. If they don't work, and this is going on and on. Then Walk Out.
And yes govt is dysfunctional, and once recognized, why would anyone want govt to be involved in something critical?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:

The difference here is Trump cannot pull a Reagan against striking workers during the government shutdown. The government is not allowed to hire or fire during a government shutdown. Trump cannot fire the essential employees so Reaganing air traffic controllers won't happen at least until the government opens up.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The difference here is Trump cannot pull a Reagan against striking workers during the government shutdown. The government is not allowed to hire or fire during a government shutdown. Trump cannot fire the essential employees so Reaganing air traffic controllers won't happen at least until the government opens up.
If Air Traffic controllers and other essential employees walked off the job Trump would probably have no recourse.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:05 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What about the air traveller are they the enemy now?
Are the air traffic controllers the enemy? How about the other 800,000 workers being forced into unpaid servitude to the president? What did they do to warrant this punishment?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Won’t happen, but there would still be government oversight if it did.
How does government oversight of corporations generally work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies