Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 02:52 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,435,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
No one who saw the new Gillette ad “The Best Men Can Be” thought it would be universally embraced. It establishes the state of masculinity today with various scenes of men acting sexist, boys physically and mentally terrorizing each other, and dads accepting a “Boys will be boys” mentality, before dramatically pivoting.

Much of the criticism of the ad has revolved around the company’s motives. Yet Gillette/P&G can have financial incentives and still make an ad worth lauding. These two things are not mutually exclusive.

IMO this ad is a step in the right direction, because the more we collectively hear the message that sexual harassment is unacceptable, that bullying is wrong, and that helping victims is noble, the more this message will shape our—and our children’s—everyday choices. We need to get messages like this from our leaders, teachers, parents—and from television shows, movies, books, songs, and advertisements. Cultural shifts happen when every aspect of culture embraces and normalizes a change.

Some do not think we need the message. But I disagree. We do. The centerpiece of this ad isn’t grown men; it’s kids. The ad climaxes with footage of sweet-faced children and the lesson “The boys watching today will be the men of tomorrow.” Gillette’s argument is that we need to be careful with the choices we make as adults because children learn decency and morality from us.

When the message that we should try and raise compassionate children offends a large swath of America, there is a sickness spreading that we desperately need to cure.
It's kind of bizarre for someone selling something to tell his customers that they are a problem to be solved.

I think too that the country is getting really weary of woke-scolding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It's kind of bizarre for someone selling something to tell his customers that they are a problem to be solved.

I think too that the country is getting really weary of woke-scolding.
Yes, the woke scolding is getting old. Same goes with white people are evil. Getting tired of that mantra as well.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:26 PM

17,632 posts, read 17,723,504 times
Threw away my Gillette Sensor 3 razor. Replaced it with a double edge safety razor. Local store has a 10 pack of blades for $2.05. Been using Gillette razors since the 80s.
Attached Thumbnails
Proctor and Gamble Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad-f1f3c7a3-0082-413b-9b67-caca0af99516.jpeg  

Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,734,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Threw away my Gillette Sensor 3 razor. Replaced it with a double edge safety razor. Local store has a 10 pack of blades for $2.05. Been using Gillette razors since the 80s.
Gillette razors haven't been competitive on price and quality for 20 years or better. For nearly that long I've been using Wal-Mart's triple blade disposables. They used to be made by and branded Wilkinson, then switched to Wal-Mart's equate brand some years ago. Same great product, though, and I'd guess they're still made by Wilkinson. Far superior to Gillette at a fraction of the price. Actually, best razor I've ever used.

What I haven't yet found, though, is a good quality replacement for Gillette's Foamy Shaving Cream. Unless they've improved it recently, Barbasol is dry, thin in texture, and inferior to Foamy. So is Wal-Mart's equate.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You made no point. Ohio was correct. The whole point of advertising is exactly what you're complaining about...telling people how their lifestyle should look like. That's how they make money. It's pretty simple.
What??? No, the point of advertising is to make your product known as well as to sell your product. In your advertisement you should show, or prove rather, why your product is better than the competitor's product. Alienating even a small percentage of your target audience can be a huge blunder financially.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:04 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
What??? No, the point of advertising is to make your product known as well as to sell your product. In your advertisement you should show, or prove rather, why your product is better than the competitor's product. Alienating even a small percentage of your target audience can be a huge blunder financially.

Advertisement can be approached from different angles.

While some men might detest this particular ad, the company most likely have calculated how many WOMEN shop for household items/family needs ( razors including.)

You don't know much about advertisement, do you?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:51 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,847,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Advertisement can be approached from different angles.

While some men might detest this particular ad, the company most likely have calculated how many WOMEN shop for household items/family needs ( razors including.)

You don't know much about advertisement, do you?
My wife shops, yes. But WE decide what products to purchase. Funny thing is, she was as offended as I (or maybe even more so).

Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 PM

26,807 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
My wife shops, yes. But WE decide what products to purchase. Funny thing is, she was as offended as I (or maybe even more so).

Apparently, the company was not designing this ad, with specifically you and your wife in mind, sorry)))

Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,847,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Apparently, the company was not designing this ad, with specifically you and your wife in mind, sorry)))
You made the assertion that the women do the shopping. I pointed out that it offended my wife. Might also point out that it offended my daughter and her husband, plus my other two sons and THEIR wives.

I have no doubt it plays well< in certain parts of the country. Then again, those are likely the parts of the country where they wouldn't understand just what a true man is - much less what's expected of them.

<battening the hatches for the upcoming "you don't understand......" maelstrom>

Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It’s certainly more attractive to women who hate men. Lots of them crawling around these days.
Yeah, but most of them don't shave. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies