Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Shingles? Really? In comparison to surgically opening up a woman's abdomen and uterus to safely extract a baby? You must have a very low pain threshold.
Again, you refuse to actually comment on what I said. I should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
The Controlled Substance does recognize several special groups. The terminally ill is one of them.
Ah, Freedom! When we are truly dying we still can't choose when and where but they will "allow" us a bit more pain relief.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Shingles? Really? In comparison to surgically opening up a woman's abdomen and uterus to safely extract a baby? You must have a very low pain threshold.
Have you had shingles? It can be extremely painful, causing blisters that scab, ooze and crust on large sections of the body. And it lasts 2-4 weeks, so the pain is longstanding. Just because it is a different condition from delivery of a baby doesn't mean painkillers are not warranted.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Have any of you been prescribed such legal pharma products? I have, having to have had 2 c-sections to deliver 9 pound frank breech babies who sure as hell were not going to be born the usual way (vaginal delivery). The barbiturates made me nauseous. I wouldn't take them any more than what was absolutely necessary. How the hell does anyone get addicted to that chit?
Barbiturates are not opiates.

I have been taking light opiates for over 15 years.....did physical labor all my life (heavy duty rigging, construction, etc). At 38 years old the doctor said I should be careful of how I get in and out of cars.

Now I am 65 and I walk miles, bike, climb up on my roof and coat it, trim trees, play tennis, do construction around the house and much more.....with very little pain and virtually no side effects.

And I don't even think about how I get in and out of cars.

So, I guess..I report and you decide.

I always think the problem is that Americans think that when you have a good thing, then MORE of the good thing is always better. It's not. It's better to take a low dose opiate AND a stiff cup of coffee and maybe even some tylenol or aspirin during the day than to up the dose too much. Upping the dose, for moderate pain patients, has diminishing returns.

I'm a legal MM patient and also in a rec state. The strongest drug I have in my house is the THC tincture they sell me for $35 for 100 doses or so. Unfortunately, it will sit there since it doesn't do much for pain. I wish it did......

I predict that Emergency rooms are going to see vast numbers of pot "overdoses" in the near future. I know of some already. The big companies running the dispensaries tell these old folks to take "X" amount and when they do they think they are gonna die (get dizzy and disorientated) and call 911.

Not something to mess with.

Last edited by craigiri; 01-19-2019 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
This is not news. This is how pharmaceutical companies have proceeded for years and years--back when nobody cared. Pharmaceutical companies would give their sales people huge expense accounts to wine and dine physicians at very upscale restaurants. The sales conferences would be at Vegas 5-star resorts with spouses.

This is just a different drug, and it is not the first addictive class of drugs to be pushed. They've done this with all of their drugs. It tapered off in 2006 when the recession approached only because there were budget cuts. As recently as 2017, the head of Health and Human Services was sitting on all kinds of pharmaceutical corporation donations. Get rid of the corruption in Washington--because it has only become worse. We need government controls on pharmaceuticals, and their lobbyists should not be allowed in DC.

When medicine stops being a for-profit business in the US, maybe things will change.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It was 'safer' for addicts to abuse pills from a pharmacy versus street heroin or other drugs.
With the exception of prescriptions from approved providers, a prescription for the purpose of maintaining an addict is illegal. That provision has been law for a century. That is why they had to pass another law for Suboxone and methadone treatment. DEA is trying to get more Suboxone prescribers. It isn't that hard to get approved. They have to take an 8 hour course and for the first year, they are limited to 30 patients and afterwards, it is increased to 100..

Anyway, it is Purdue pharma not Perdue. It's named after the university.

The Controlled Substance Act is notoriously vague. It says per professional judgement alot.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:10 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Have you had shingles? It can be extremely painful, causing blisters that scab, ooze and crust on large sections of the body. And it lasts 2-4 weeks, so the pain is longstanding. Just because it is a different condition from delivery of a baby doesn't mean painkillers are not warranted.
Also, for some the pain never stops, even after the rash heals.

Postherpetic neuralgia is a leading cause of suicide in the elderly.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is not news. This is how pharmaceutical companies have proceeded for years and years--back when nobody cared. Pharmaceutical companies would give their sales people huge expense accounts to wine and dine physicians at very upscale restaurants. The sales conferences would be at Vegas 5-star resorts with spouses.

This is just a different drug, and it is not the first addictive class of drugs to be pushed. They've done this with all of their drugs. It tapered off in 2006 when the recession approached only because there were budget cuts. As recently as 2017, the head of Health and Human Services was sitting on all kinds of pharmaceutical corporation donations. Get rid of the corruption in Washington--because it has only become worse. We need government controls on pharmaceuticals, and their lobbyists should not be allowed in DC.

When medicine stops being a for-profit business in the US, maybe things will change.
If the pharma companies are so powerful and influential in DC, why did they 'allow' the DEA to crack down on prescription opioids, pill mills, doctors who give out too much, etc?

The MORE opioid prescriptions written, the MORE money they make, putting tough restrictions on them just means much less are going to be sold, thats kind of counterproductive for the companies, No?

The tobacco companies did the EXACT same thing as the pharma guys did...they lied to everyone, telling them cigarettes were not addictive, even some that tried to say they were good for you!! and yet anyone 18 and over can go to any store and buy as many cigarettes as they like, NO restrictions at all...? Cigarettes kill about 500,000 people per year, compared to overdose deaths from opioids at around 20,000....where is the priority if you are concerned about public health and safety?

Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If the pharma companies are so powerful and influential in DC, why did they 'allow' the DEA to crack down on prescription opioids, pill mills, doctors who give out too much, etc?
It wasn't DC taking actions. It was state A.G.'s taking actions.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:03 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
This is exactly the kind of think that happens over and over with Big Pharma.

So the real question is: When is someone going to be held accountable? When will people go to jail? When will companies be dismantled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies