Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SOTU print or televised
Print 22 40.00%
Televised 33 60.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:06 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times

Advertisements

The President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” Article II, Section 3, Clause 1.

The Constitution says "from time to time," and does not specify once a year. It also doesn't specify written or spoken. It seems that it would be completely Constitutional to skip a year, to change the schedule or the format. It is a pretty loose requirement. Just because an annual address is traditional doesn't mean that it is Constitutionally required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
audiobook? not going to sit there to read it myself... at least on TV I can fast forward through it

Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Print and tv are so 90s. I think he should be able to get 'er done in a few tweets.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:24 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There once was a time when the SOTU was a printed document instead of a televised speech before Congress. At some point it has become a forum for the party of the president to put on a show of support by standing and clapping every point the president makes while the opposing party remains seated looking grim and never applauding to show opposition to the sitting president merely because he belongs to the opposing political party.

Would you want the SOTU to return to a published document released to the press and public or do you want it to continue to be a televised cheerleading rally?
As a general rule, a memo would be fine. Trump is the only President in the last 30 years actually worth watching....which I guess is the reason Nancy The Blackheart doesn't want to hear him.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Print and tv are so 90s. I think he should be able to get 'er done in a few tweets.
Maybe even just one tweet.

"SOTU=Huuuuge. But Dems=bad hombres. Need wall. Stocks soaring, I did that. Any bad $$$ news, dems did that. I'm all alone. I'm only one working while 1000s fed workers are on vacation. But all those fed workers tell me I am doing the right thing. Dont believe the ones on social media, so many lies!. All the other prez before me say I'm doing the right thing. Everyone thinks I'm right but social media doesntt want u to know. I had to buy my visitors hamberders, but that shows I'm great guy. Plus White house is the home of the whopper. MAGA and eat hamberders. Thank you."

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-19-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-19-2019, 08:10 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Maybe even just one tweet.

"SOTU=Huuuuge. But Dems=bad hombres. Need wall. Stocks soaring, I did that. Any bad $$$ news, dems did that. I'm all alone. I'm only one working while 1000s fed workers are on vacation. But all those fed workers tell me I am doing the right thing. Dont believe the ones on social media, so many lies!. All the other prez before me say I'm doing the right thing. Everyone thinks I'm right but social media doesntt want u to know. I had to buy my visitors hamberders, but that shows I'm great guy. Plus White house is the home of the whopper. MAGA and eat hamberders. Thank you."
Well done! You have captured the imbecile perfectly.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:34 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Makes no difference to me. I don't watch it because I find it boring. And I really don't want to listen to Trump's lie after lie and how great he is.
That's the main thing, other than all the fake and obsequious applause, spotlight on victims of whatever bs Trump is currently pushing (probably victims of illegal aliens--yes, he did that last year, but it plays well with the base), Pence robotically clapping, the self-entitled Javanka acting like royalty, Melania pretending she cares--what is the point in listening to it? Trump lies, so 75% of what he says will be fake claims or Miller-propaganda, half of it will be Trump's martyr-like claims of victimization, etc....

The entire production is just theater--and boring theater at that. The ratings will be low--unless Trump can figure out a way to rig them. If he's declaring a national emergency so he can have his hour in the spotlight, the country will never forget it.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Trump could skywrite it using Air Force One as far as I am concerned. After all of his lying and dissemination of disinformation, his words have no credibility, with me.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
It's a TV moment I'd just as soon skip, especially this year. On the off chance that Trump might have something useful to say that isn't a lie, I'd rather see it in print. Besides...the peanut gallery antics of the members of Congress on both sides are unworthy of our leaders and it's best not to broadcast the images. The poster children in the gallery is a sickening display and getting worse every year. Everyone will be shouting "You lie!!" after every sentence with the current president. If there was a drinking game where viewers took a shot of bourbon after every lie we would all pass out before the end of Trump's speech. Actually, years ago, it was fairly common to have the annual message delivered in written form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies