Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
When living pay check to pay check that means you have very little reserve. Missing one will use up that reserve. That's what happens in the real world not the fantasy world of the conservative pundit's.
... you are probably not responsible enough to merit employment by the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How long would you work at a job if youre employer stopped paying you for the work you do?
If i were a federal employee id give it a month before the need for income would drive me to alternate employment.

"If i were a federal employee id give it a month before the need for income would drive me to alternate employment"

A bold claim from someone probably living in mamas basement.

Hint, If you have LOT of time vested you will NOT QUIT and give up your pension and health insurance which you can keep FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, UNLIKE most companies now who at 65 cut you off and have to get Medicare.

Such BRAVE some people are, on the Internet!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How long would you work at a job if youre employer stopped paying you for the work you do?
If i were a federal employee id give it a month before the need for income would drive me to alternate employment.
Depends on how much savings I have and whether I have another source of income such as a spouse who makes a good living to cover for most expenses or a rich daddy to borrow money from.....

For me personally, a few months is ok, but there needs to be signs that a resolution is coming and in the meantime, I will be job hunting.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Some federal employees have contracts. No pay = keep working. Breaking contracts have consequences.
I would imagine part of that contract is the expectation that one will be paid for services rendered,in this case it seems the government is failing to uphold its end of the contract.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You can't not pay people for work performed...they will win any lawsuit filed for back pay and possibly damages.
Fair Labor Standards Act. FLSA.

"In general, as long as an employee is engaging in activities that benefit the employer, regardless of when they are performed, the employer has an obligation to pay the employee for the time."

LINK

President Trump is violating the laws that he swore under oath to protect.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:33 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I realize most of them don't make big bucks, and that some of them may have special circumstances that mean they are facing hardships. But generally speaking, one or two delayed paychecks shouldn't make you broke. If you're too irresponsible to save any money at all, then maybe you're too irresponsible to have been hired for a federal government job in the first place?
Two things:

There is a big difference between saving nothing at all and actually having an emergency fund that will carry you through many weeks, or even months, with no pay.

Also, what of young people just starting out? Accumulating a financial cushion takes time.

Okay, let's make it three:

An emergency fund should be for things like a medical crisis, a broken down car, or the actual loss of a job. It should not have to be spent on normal expenses while one is still working.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Federal employees will receive their back pay when the conflict is resolved, so why would they quit? Why would missing a couple paychecks matter to a person with a good job, unless they're absolute idiots who have saved nothing at all?

How big of you ! Maybe you need a reality check. A lot of people in this country live paycheck to paycheck, and most of it is not because they are "idiots" , or that they blow their money in wasteful ways. Not everyone earns a huge paycheck, most people earn just enough to survive and saving money is an impossibility.

Sitting up there, on your high horse, and not realizing that the situation most people are in is no fault of their own, is an elitist position. These are good, hardworking people, whose family and other obligations drain their income, and it leaves little or nothing to sock away.

You really need to get out more and see how the other half lives.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Federal employees will receive their back pay when the conflict is resolved, so why would they quit? Why would missing a couple paychecks matter to a person with a good job, unless they're absolute idiots who have saved nothing at all?
Because the power company, etc doesn’t give a damn no money no power.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Must.... Be.... Slave... For... Trump...

Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
If I was in a classification such as a TSA agent or hourly-type worker, I'd probably have to give up at this point.

Salaried? I'd stay as long as my savings would allow while looking for another job. In my 30s with young kids, that time wouldn't last long. Now that the bulk of my financial responsibilities are behind me I've been able to follow a lot of the financial advice and I have a cushion that I could survive for about one year. I'm naturally a saver, but there were times, even when I had a good job, that I could barely put things away. Kids will drain you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies