Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Whether it was a prompter or copy on a page is splitting hairs.

Here's another little secret. Maybe the guy is a tool to be around and the production staff just left him out to hang. I've worked with national talent and local talent and there's a reason the national folks often get and stay there. They build relationships with the entire production crew to the point where the techs, producers and other will walk through the gates of hell to make sure the talent looks good.

I've been on shoots where some blow-dry local with an outsized ego wouldn't lift a roll of gaffers tape to help a crew member. No surprise no one has their back when things get weird...
Your take on this makes me wonder if the people who did this...

https://youtu.be/AmclgO6w0C0

... really had it out for the news reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Your take on this makes me wonder if the people who did this...

https://youtu.be/AmclgO6w0C0

... really had it out for the news reader.
LOL. A rouge Chyron op. (or a good reminder not to forget the folks in font when passing out the Christmas cookies)

Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
Quote:
But I do believe though that if you say "ML Coon" persistently when "among friends," it is easy to slip out easily end in civilized company.

I think this is likely the issue. I once had a nickname for someone that I used among friends. It wasn't derogatory. It was based on their name. I was acquaintances with this person so it would have been inappropriate for me to address them by that nickname, but I almost did one time. I think we have a winner! There are countless videos with people making this same "mistake" and they were obviously doing it with malicious intent.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
I've never said Martin Luther C**n before. I've never thought that. I find it hard to believe that someone who would slip up and say that is not guilty of using that term in private.

That said, there are many black people who call white people crackers.

It's all unnecessary, and wrong.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

I think this is likely the issue. I once had a nickname for someone that I used among friends. It wasn't derogatory. It was based on their name. I was acquaintances with this person so it would have been inappropriate for me to address them by that nickname, but I almost did one time. I think we have a winner! There are countless videos with people making this same "mistake" and they were obviously doing it with malicious intent.
I already pointed that out but the difference is the known racists who made the mistake acted one way (immediately recognizing they let their true colors show) while others seemed to press on because IMO it was a flub with no ill-will.

It would be interesting to see an analysis on news anchors who accidentally curse on live tv and how they react then look at how their reactions line up with their use (or non-use) of curse words in their daily lives.

Let's have the government fund it. We can use Trump's wall money.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It would be interesting to see an analysis on news anchors who accidentally curse on live tv and how they react then look at how their reactions line up with their use (or non-use) of curse words in their daily lives.
One word: YouTube.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I *do* think this could be a legitimate mistake. However, I don't believe it was an innocent flub in this situation. If it was, he would have immediately corrected himself. His apology was also insincere.
Save this post; it may get you out of jury duty one day.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:25 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" 10 times is not something ANYONE says on a frequent basis, and it has no semblance at all to saying "Martin Luther King Jr." once.

But I do believe though that if you say "ML Coon" persistently when "among friends," it is easy to slip out easily end in civilized company.

In the 4 years that I attended MLK, Jr HS, I never hear anyone... teachers, students, or visitors make such a "slip." I wonder why is wasn't as easy to slip there.
There is a marketing employee at the station named Coon. /endwitchhunt

Old 01-21-2019, 06:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
One word: YouTube.
Yeah, I love watching those compilations.

But you need to know if those anchors curse on the outside and how that relates to their reactions.

I put up two clips where known racists said it. Their reactions showed a marked difference than the other 3 we have.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
There is a marketing employee at the station named Coon. /endwitchhunt
That must be it. TALENT ALERT: Check those staff directories so there aren't any Bart Simpson prank call names on the list you might read on-air!

If the Chief Engineer's name is I.P. Freely, you may be in trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies