Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing I used to think of FDR as a great president, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Not to mention that FDR was the king of electoral collusion. His administration was full of Soviet agents, and the British government interfered in the 1940 election with great effect.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/08/...our-elections/

The British Security Coordination, a front corporation for British intelligence in the United States, had offices inside the U.S. that conducted espionage and planted fake news stories in American media to tilt public opinion, according to information declassified in 1999.

Some of the least credible voices were sounding warnings at the time. As Politico stated in a piece published last year:
American communists, fascists and isolationists complained bitterly and loudly in 1940 and 1941 that Britain was secretly manipulating the U.S. media as part of a campaign to pull America into the war. These accusations, confidently dismissed by liberal politicians and newspapers as paranoid ravings, were inaccurate only in that they were understated.
British intelligence got involved in congressional campaigns, in some cases reportedly conducting illegal electronic surveillance and leaking the resulting information to select news media for “October surprises” to help defeat isolationist candidates across the country.

The British government was more comfortable with Roosevelt as president, but wanted to hedge its bets with a British-friendly Republican challenger as well.

Sen. Arthur Vandenberg, R-Mich., an isolationist, was expected to win the GOP nomination, Morris said. Instead, a charismatic New York businessman who never had held or run for political office won the nomination after a grassroots upheaval against the party establishment.

The nominee, Wendell Willkie, said: “America’s first line of defense is Great Britain.”

This development came after the New York Herald Tribune, then the nation’s leading Republican newspaper, touted an “independent” poll by Market Analysts Inc. that found three-fifths of Republican National Convention delegates favored assisting allies in everything short of war.

However, the owner of Market Analysts was Sanford Griffith, an American who had worked for British intelligence since the 1930s, according to the Politico account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:35 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sorry, what does Russia helping the U.S. have to do with Hitler waving to Jesse Owens?
...that history gets rewritten and we are often not given the complete story.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Interesting - although I find it so unlikely that Hitler would have waved to him. Hitler was furious at the time.

That's so disappointing about FDR, but it was Eleanor who was seriously concerned about racial issues. FDR is indeed a great president on many fronts, but he wasn't perfect, and there are certainly some shameful lapses.

(You should mention it in the Sports forum, too!)
Hitler wasn't happy but it would appear he was more concerned with appearances at the time. It was reported in the press at the time that he had received a signed photograph of Hitler from Hitler. There were witnesses to Hitler waving at him, or saluting, depending on who described it. A reporter claimed to have seen a photograph of Hitler and Owens shaking hands somewhere in the stadium that wasn't public and an individual claimed to have witnessed the event as well. It's a bit disturbing that he got more recognition from Hitler than from FDR. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens

Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I can believe it. People also don't know that Russia was instrumental to the Union winning the Civil War. I think it was Britain (don't quote me) that was going to interfere on behalf of the Union, and Russia sank their ships. Told them not to interfere with another country's internal affairs.
Not instrumental. They sent over a few ships to peeve the British who they were in conflict with. The British were thinking of breaking the Union blockades to get southern cotton. Gettysburg put end to those thoughts.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Jesse Owens, the greatest American athlete who ever lived.

Jesse was indeed snubbed by FDR.

In regards to Hitler, initially Jesse claimed that he was not snubbed. However, in his later years he did claim he was snubbed by Hitler.

But from what i understand, Hitler didn't even have a chance to snub Jesse based on what happened previously. Hitler initially congratulated a German and Finn winner and shook their hands, but then left early prior to Cornelius Johnson, a black american high jumper, and his black teammate Dave Albritton, receiving their gold and silver medals on the platform. Hitler cited a previous commitment, but let's be real here. After Hitler pulled that stunt, he was given an ultimatum in that he either congratulated all athletes or none at all, and Hitler chose none. Therefore, by the time Jesse won his gold medals, Hitler couldn't have snubbed him since he already made a choice to congratulate no winners.

But here's the deal. I don't think there was any real proof that Hitler waved at or acknowledged Jesse, and I've never heard of Hitler giving Jesse a signed picture of him. As Jeremy Schaap pointed out, Hitler could have easily met Hitler in private or in the stands out of the view of the public and cameras, but he never did that. There's no need to 'humanize' someone like Hitler and make it seem like he was a friend of the black man, when he was anything but. What was wonderful was how the German citizens in the stadium embraced Hitler and were mesmerized by him and his exploits (which didn't make Hitler too comfortable I'm sure). His friendship with Luz Long is one of the most amazing stories in all of sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pr-WXfNKcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOm36ZzCwI

Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, I get it. LMAO...this post is really about Republicans supposedly standing up for blacks, but that’s not the full picture.

See, Eisenhower also said this when African Americans were trying to attend Kansas City schools near their homes:
I am sorry that I reported a factual story and it triggered you into this response. I didn't mean to upset your sensibilities.

By the way there are some historians that think that Earl Warren made up that quote about Eisenhower as they were in the middle of a huge personal feud when he claimed Ike said it, two other people there in the room said it was bull, and that Warren made another comment at the same time that was debunked.

Ike wasn't perfect and a product of his time, but he sincerely pushed for a Civil Rights Act that would create enforcement of the 15th Amendment. It was LBJ in the legislature that took the teeth out of it. Ironically, it was LBJ who helped vindicate this wrong in 1965 with the Voting Rights Act thanks to millions of people like MLK Jr. pushing the nation to do so. Ike had also supported desegregation of the Army in the late 1940s under Truman.

It was also controversial when Ike used the military to enforce court orders to desegregate. Remember, both JFK and LBJ in the senate refused to publicly support Ike's controversial decision to use the military in Little Rock. Today that decision makes sense...many people at the time thought Ike was acting like a dictator. Ironically, both JFK and LBJ had to use the military themselves to desegregate as presidents - something that they were able to do, because Ike did it first without their support and the precedent was set.

Earl Warren wasn't perfect either - he was one of the biggest pushers of Japanese Internment Camps - leading to FDR's Executive Order 9066.

Quote:
Interesting - although I find it so unlikely that Hitler would have waved to him. Hitler was furious at the time.
Are you saying Jesse Owens lied? I don't think Owens is lying. Perhaps Hitler was swept up in the euphoria and acted uncharacteristically? Owens said the best reception and ovation he ever got was in Berlin.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 01-21-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jesse Owens, the greatest American athlete who ever lived.

Jesse was indeed snubbed by FDR.

In regards to Hitler, initially Jesse claimed that he was not snubbed. However, in his later years he did claim he was snubbed by Hitler.

But from what i understand, Hitler didn't even have a chance to snub Jesse based on what happened previously. Hitler initially congratulated a German and Finn winner and shook their hands, but then left early prior to Cornelius Johnson, a black american high jumper, and his black teammate Dave Albritton, receiving their gold and silver medals on the platform. Hitler cited a previous commitment, but let's be real here. After Hitler pulled that stunt, he was given an ultimatum in that he either congratulated all athletes or none at all, and Hitler chose none. Therefore, by the time Jesse won his gold medals, Hitler couldn't have snubbed him since he already made a choice to congratulate no winners.

But here's the deal. I don't think there was any real proof that Hitler waved at or acknowledged Jesse, and I've never heard of Hitler giving Jesse a signed picture of him. As Jeremy Schaap pointed out, Hitler could have easily met Hitler in private or in the stands out of the view of the public and cameras, but he never did that. There's no need to 'humanize' someone like Hitler and make it seem like he was a friend of the black man, when he was anything but. What was wonderful was how the German citizens in the stadium embraced Hitler and were mesmerized by him and his exploits (which didn't make Hitler too comfortable I'm sure). His friendship with Luz Long is one of the most amazing stories in all of sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pr-WXfNKcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soOm36ZzCwI
I am not trying to humanize Hitler - he is evil - just reporting facts.

Jesse Owens in fact said that Hitler waved at him.

Jesse Owens in fact said Hitler sent him a photo of himself in congratulations.

-both of these points are stated in my original links.

Perhaps Jesse Owens is lying...but why would he initially lie?

My understanding is that Hitler was told by the Olympic committee that he couldn't selectively congratulate winners like he had been where he congratulated German winners but not non-German winners - so being his stubborn self he started congratulating nobody.

I have a book that claims that Owens said multiple times that he didn't feel snubbed by Hitler, but by FDR...the American media ignored this and kept printing the opposite...and that eventually years later Owens flipped to what the media said.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Then in the 1960s Democrat presidents made up for how they treated blacks in the past, such as Jesse Owen, by promoting and passing civil rights laws. Democrats, especially in the South, responded by turning Republican. Now that it's many decades later, you can read this about the coverage of an inauguration of a new Republican governor in Oklahoma:

"Although Stitt is an alleged Oklahoma GOP outsider, the event felt like your standard Oklahoma GOP affair. It featured a bunch of white people speaking, a bunch of white people praying, and a bunch of white people celebrating that, despite eight years of Mary Fallin, they still get to run the state. In fact, I think the official theme of the event was “It’s good to be white!”
FROM: https://www.thelostogle.com/2019/01/...ap/#more-84775

Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, I get it. LMAO...this post is really about Republicans supposedly standing up for blacks, but that’s not the full picture.

See, Eisenhower also said this when African Americans were trying to attend Kansas City schools near their homes:

So Ike may have invited Owens to the White House and appointed him to some meaningless job, but....where was his sympathy for young children that were forced to walk across a humongous dangerous rail yard to go to a school that wasn’t in their neighborhood?

So if you’re looking for a few blacks to come in here and show some gratitude because of a few crumbs, naaahhh...I’ll pass. I’m not giving credit to people for doing what should’ve been done as soon as this nation was freed from Britain in a war that African Americans fought their asses off in...not to mention that the first man to die in that struggle was black.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/554045/
Sounds like Eisenhower was trying to pull a good people on "both sides" type of argument.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am not trying to humanize Hitler - he is evil - just reporting facts.

Jesse Owens in fact said that Hitler waved at him.

Jesse Owens in fact said Hitler sent him a photo of himself in congratulations.

-both of these points are stated in my original links.

Perhaps Jesse Owens is lying...but why would he initially lie?

My understanding is that Hitler was told by the Olympic committee that he couldn't selectively congratulate winners like he had been where he congratulated German winners but not non-German winners - so being his stubborn self he started congratulating nobody.

I have a book that claims that Owens said multiple times that he didn't feel snubbed by Hitler, but by FDR...the American media ignored this and kept printing the opposite...and that eventually years later Owens flipped to what the media said.
I believe Owens said he acknowledged Hitler after one of his victories and Hitler acknowledged him back, but I have not heard of Owens claiming that Hitler sent him a photo of himself. I'm not trying to nitpick or find fault with anyone here, just from what I read.

I don't know what the truth is, but in private Hitler was not happy about Owen's victories as well as performances by the other black athletes.

Quote:
Each of the German victories, and there were a surprising number of these, made [Adolf Hitler] happy, but he was highly annoyed by the series of triumphs by the marvelous colored American runner, Jesse Owens. People whose antecedents came from the jungle were primitive, Hitler said with a shrug; their physiques were stronger than those of civilized whites and hence should be excluded from future games.
—Albert Speer Inside the Third Reich
Personally, I just don't feel someone like that would be sending pictures to Jesse Owens.

Also, as I mentioned before, on the first day of the track and field events, Hitler did congratulate and shake the hands of a German as well as Finn athlete, but left the stadium before black american high jumper Cornelius Johnson received his gold medal. Based on this stunt, the olympic committee gave him an ultimatum to congratulate all athletes or none at all. So Hitler did indeed snub a black athlete, but it was Cornelius Johnson. But by the time Owens won his medals, Hitler was already abiding by his self imposed rule of not congratulating anyone (in order to avoid having to shake the hands of any black athletes, for sure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies