Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Silent Cal was the polar opposite of Trump, and wasn't much like any of the other Presidents of the 20th century.

He was elected as VP, and assumed the Presidency when Warren Harding suddenly died, and was re-elected on his own though he didn't bother with campaigning, except from his front porch.

While a man of very few words, he was known mostly for taking quick action when it was necessary. I think he became a popular as he was because he was such a contrast to Harding, whose Presidency was one of the most scandalous and corrupt ever.

Harding apparently relied on his looks; the voters thought he looked very Presidential, and he was very popular until the scandals became known over the course of his Presidency. He fathered an illegitimate child while in office, but that only came out after his death.

Coolidge cleaned out the corruption Harding left, and that may have been the reason why he won another term of his own.

The 1920s were a strange time in the United States.
Harding himself was not involved in scandals. His mistake, which he owned up to, was putting friends in positions without oversight. Hardings presidency as one of the most corrupt and scandalous is just you repeating what you were told and you didn't look into it. These last 3 administrations are many times more corrupt than Hardings. It's not even close.

Harding "relying on his looks" is such a childish, vapid comment it's laughable.

Hardings policies got us out of a depression in less than 2 years. That's probably something else you don't know.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 01-23-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Harding himself was not involved in scandals. His mistake, which he owned up to, was putting friends in positions without oversight. Hardings presidency as one of the most corrupt and scandalous is just you repeating what you were told and you didn't look into it. These last 3 administrations are many times more corrupt than Hardings. It's not even close.

Harding "relying on his looks" is such a childish, vapid comment it's laughable.

Hardings policies got us out of a depression in less than 2 years. That's probably something else you don't know.
As I mentioned, Harding was popular while he was alive. The Teapot Dome scandal didn't surface until after his death, and his child by Nan Britton was the final blow that ruined his reputation.

What depression? The U.S. wasn't in any depression in 1921 when Harding took office. America was thriving after World War I, and was still booming when he died of a heart attack in1923.
You're getting your presidents confused.

I learned all that in history class long ago. And I actually knew some old folks who voted for him; they were still alive back in the 1950s when I was growing up.

His looks are indeed what got him elected; that was the first thing they all said, and at that time, Harding was the perfect picture of what voters thought a President should look like.

He does look Presidential, for sure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren..._%26_Ewing.jpg

Old 01-23-2019, 10:46 AM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, Harding was popular while he was alive. The Teapot Dome scandal didn't surface until after his death, and his child by Nan Britton was the final blow that ruined his reputation.

What depression? The U.S. wasn't in any depression in 1921 when Harding took office. America was thriving after World War I, and was still booming when he died of a heart attack in1923.

I learned all that in history class long ago. And I actually knew some old folks who voted for him; they were still alive back in the 1950s when I was growing up.

His looks are indeed what got him elected; that was the first thing they all said, and at that time, Harding was the perfect picture of what voters thought a President should look like.

You would be incorrect about no depression.

https://mises.org/library/forgotten-depression-1920

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbe.../#f013ed936198

Old 01-23-2019, 10:56 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
The best line about Calvin Coolidge was said by Mae West. Upon being told of his death, she was quoted to say, "I didn't even know he was alive!"

Old 01-23-2019, 11:58 AM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

If Harding had lived, US history would have been very different and probably much better, in that he would have undone everything Wilson did.
Wilson introduced and embraced The Administrative State, which is now referred to as the deep state. Our lives are more affected by the alphabet agencies that comprise the deep state, than we are the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:46 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

Like another poster said, check out the links. It was very short because government stayed out. Taxes and spending were reduced by 40% over 2 years. UE went from ~12 to ~4 and we came out of the depression quickly

Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If Harding had lived, US history would have been very different and probably much better, in that he would have undone everything Wilson did.
Wilson introduced and embraced The Administrative State, which is now referred to as the deep state. Our lives are more affected by the alphabet agencies that comprise the deep state, than we are the Legislative, Executive and Judicial branches.
"If" makes it impossible to know what any outcome could have been. The past is past, set and fixed in its events.

It could easily be disputed that Harding wouldn't have done much to undo Wilson's achievements. After all, Harding benefited greatly from the Administrative state, more than Wilson himself.

The United States was not prepared to enter World War I at all, and at first, most Americans were firmly against it. Wilson not only had to overhaul the government so as to be able to fight the world's first modern war, he had to win the populace over to intervening in the war at the same time.
Wilson was really successful at that mind changing. By the time the country was almost ready, our people were eager to join the fight. That, not the creation of so much new administration, was the hardest part of Wilson's job, and he accomplished it brilliantly.

The Administrative state Wilson created did create a lot of new regulation, and those regulations did open up brand new areas of free market competition that never existed before. For the first time since the closing of the frontier, they allowed a guy with ambition brand new ways to rise to the top of the financial food chain. They also allowed a lot of land that had never been turned by a plow to go into production as well.
Since both of those things made a lot of folks more money than they had ever made before, a lot of folks liked Wilson's overhaul pretty well.

But it's also true that America never liked Wilson's foreign policies, especially his League of Nations creation.

"If" makes it really subjective. All we really know is Harding checked out in a flash when his heart blew up, and Coolidge didn't change very much of Wilson's overhaul.

Calvin Coolidge got to where he was through his administrative skill, not his looks or his other abilities. If Coolidge didn't feel the need to do away with Wilson's new changes, he must have had some sound reasoning at the time that permitted them to continue.

Last edited by banjomike; 01-23-2019 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 04:46 PM

776 posts, read 395,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Harding stopped Wilson's unconstitutional arrests and deportations, and pardoend those who Wilson had arrested. Wilson incarcerated those who criticized the draft, and Harding pardoned Eugene Debs for this. If Wilson had his way, the Constitution wouldn't exist anymore and schools would teach, "Never criticize the President's policies".

Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What the article said was simply true. If you don't know anything about Coolidge, he may have lived and died in Northampton MA, but he was a typical old time Vermonter: a man of few words. That's what he was famous for.

One of his most famous quotes was supposedly when someone bet that he wouldn't say three words. His answer was, "You lose."

Google Calvin Coolidge quotes if you want some examples of this man's clever, dry wit.

Anyway, back to Trump...
I know that "You lose" quote, and I love it!

Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The best line about Calvin Coolidge was said by Mae West. Upon being told of his death, she was quoted to say, "I didn't even know he was alive!"
That quote also can be applied to a Conservative man talking about the death of his nagging liberal mother-in-law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies