Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this emergency order?
Yes 105 44.87%
No 129 55.13%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I think he'll pull the trigger, and it'll stand. He can use the excuse that he couldn't negotiate with the Dems, they refused ALL overtures, and he had no choice. He's been feeding them enough rope for a month now, and Pelosi won't deal no matter what.
I hope you are right. This has gone on long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
These sorts of power grabs will eventually be used by a dictator.
North Korea and Russia, yup, he is learning from two of the best!

Old 01-24-2019, 04:55 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I think he'll pull the trigger, and it'll stand. He can use the excuse that he couldn't negotiate with the Dems, they refused ALL overtures, and he had no choice. He's been feeding them enough rope for a month now, and Pelosi won't deal no matter what.
Explaining why it is an emergency NOW when crossing rates have been relatively stable for years is going to be a hard sell in front of any even semi-objective judge.

"Because I really really want it!" Ain't gonna cut it.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We have reached the end of the road regarding the issue of the Mexican Border Wall.

It is time to get it done already and stop illegal border crossings into the United States, along with all the crime, human trafficking and drug trafficking.

Time for action.
I agree, and up until recently, so did most Democrats, many still in office.
As the days go by, more people that are not political junkies with party loyalty to override common sense, feel the same way.

`

Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
These sorts of power grabs will eventually be used by a president to become a dictator. And maybe not too far off.
Did you consider Obama to be a dictator when he issued the executive order regarding DACA?

Old 01-24-2019, 04:57 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well look at the billions Obama stole to make our debt just shy of 20 trillion and suddenly the left cares about debt and responsible spending. Then there is the Unaffordable care act. The web sight alone cost over 2 billion.
As an aside, millions of people now have healthcare they didn't have before the ACA. Why are you worried about $2 billion dollars for a website when you're not worried about $25 billion or more for a monument to Trump? To be clear though, I didn't like it when Obama increased the debt and I don't like it now that Trump is doing it.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Were you unable to read the post I quoted and was responding to?

Let me spell it out for you. If Trump sets this precedent of preparing a 'National Emergency Order' for a clear non-emergency - then a Democratic president will do the same. Emergencies such as climate change, wealth inequality, etc.
Come on really! Over 50% of people in congress are millionaires. You think they'll go for wealth redistribution? You think They really give two craps for climate change? The minute it hits them in the personal pocket book they'll vote it down. No one in Washington cares a fig for any of us. NO ONE. They'll bend us over regardless of who's driving the buss....Jeezus do you actually think Nancy Pelosi care about climate change?????or splitting her money with you!!!!!????? She's no better then Trump.......

Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,559 times
I’ll support it when Trump is gone, the GOP is beaten down and the Democratic President is able to issue an emergency order to ban and take away assault type weapons after the next REAL mass shooting.

I can only imagine the riots that one would create.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
It's not an emergency and no reasonable judge or lawyer thinks it's an emergency. He just needs to declare one as a distraction. If he does that, it's going to set a terrible precedent.

There is no "emergency" at the Mexican border.

There's no hurricane, hostile military presence trying to overrun the country, nothing that's an actual emergency.

This wall will take over a decade to build. Emergencies are not decades-long things.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Come on really! Over 50% of people in congress are millionaires. You think they'll go for wealth redistribution? You think They really give two craps for climate change? The minute it hits them in the personal pocket book they'll vote it down. No one in Washington cares a fig for any of us. NO ONE. They'll bend us over regardless of who's driving the buss....
And they don't care about a wall or he'd have gotten his wall money when the Rs controlled both chambers of Congress, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies