Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Gillette right about their message?
Yes 18 21.43%
No 66 78.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,956 times

Advertisements

The critical thing is, it's preaching to a bunch of men about how they should act. I do not need to be preached too, I do the right thing, and so do most men. It's like when an actual racist does something racist, all white people have to be lectured about how bad racism is. So, what's the purpose of the ad? To tell men to behave like most of them behave already? No. This was a targeted message to SJW's. Just like Nike and Kapernick. They are not targeting all men in that ad, they are targeting SJW men because it's a demographic that tends to be upper middle class, and Gillette products are more expensive than the generic stuff you can get.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:56 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Nobody enjoys being on the receiving end of preaching/nagging. Warranted or not.

So either Gillette's marketing department is incompetent... or men are not the target audience.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
They are right, but now isn't the time for that kind of commercial. The ironic thing is this entire incident really brought out how insecure conservative alpha-males really are.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I think the problem with the theme is how men have to be placed into a box of being a hero vs being an *******, basically men have to be servers to society one way or the other, if you reject serving society you're basically worthless to society

Even I tried looking at both sides before just sliding with the haters crowd hahahaha.

Also sexism exists against men as well, not sure why people try to make it so much a one sided issue

Very true.

In addition, and as I pointed out before, Gillette is full of, among other things, hypocrisy, given that their women's razors cost substantially more than their men's razors.

And that is what they should be addressing. That is their business.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I've bought my last Gillette razor blade. I guess I'll try those Harry's razors they sell at Wal Mart now. Or Schick if they're too expensive. I use Schick shaving gel anyway already.
But on a related note, I've seen this same creepy bearded guy in a few commercials now. Not the Captain Obvious guy, he doesn't have that creepy a beard. This is a younger guy with a fuller beard who just has this unsettling stare and look on his face. Somebody should shave him.
I've cut out Kellogg's and Budwesier and don't go to Dick's any more. I have to add Gillette to the list.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,305 times
It's not a principled stand. They did it deliberately to generate controversy. They knew you'd be talking about this ad, advertising gillette products. Now gillette is in your head everytime you think of razors, and probably more people will buy them as a result. As they say = all publicity is good publicity. This is exactly why Trump leaked rumors to the tabloid papers about his extramarital affairs - he wanted to be talked about even if it was negative. Better positive but better negative to silence.

So if you don't like their ad, let it die where it should.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 AM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Personally, I would have preferred the approach at how a real man stays and helps raise his kids instead of disappearing. A good analogy would be like how in Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire, Uncle Phil was the real man who gave his nephew a home and a shoulder to cry on while the real dad walked out.

As for them trying to use their commercial for anti-bullying, when growing up as a girl, the other girls were the worse bullies. Watch the movie The Help, and it can give you a good idea how wicked we can be. Heck, it was a woman who lied and manipulated men to go and kill the 14 year old Emmett Till back in 1955.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They are right, but now isn't the time for that kind of commercial. The ironic thing is this entire incident really brought out how insecure conservative alpha-males really are.

Do you need to be told how not to be racist?

Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Let's be real, ideology doesnt determine your masculinity, your lifestyle does.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
The thing is the original idea of being a man is tied with responsibility to begin with.
"Original"?

You mean back on the plains of East Africa? How do you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies