Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Shouldn't take long.

Of course, Steve King defacto defended the phrase 'white supremacy' and Republicans didn't do a damn thing so I have no clue why we care what they think about anything.
You used the phrase "white supremacy' in your post above. So apparently you agree with Steve King on this point.

Pot meet kettle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Wow, what a terrible week for state Democrats in Virginia. What a mess. They should be embarrassed.

Luckily for Democrats nationwide, this is only a STATE issue, so this has no impact on federal level/congressional Dems whatsoever.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
How are those posts in any way doubling down on the fake infanticide story?

I don't believe in abortion you do. So what. Where did I say all Virginians believe in infanticide? You're reaching...

And I said nothing about abortion in this thread but you couldn't help but drag it in. I'm not going to be baited about it any longer.
Just pointing out two similar stories.

You complained to a poster for continually bringing up misinformation about the Covington kids. I was agreeing with you that it's very frustrating when something like that happens. That people run with misinformation on a topic and keep parroting and parroting it. The Covington kids stuff keeps getting distorted just as the VA abortion bill does.

I really wasn't trying to make it personal with you but thought I would use your frustration about Covington to show my frustration with similar tactics on the VA abortion bill.

Some of your posts that I quoted indicate that you were participating on the threads where people were all in on the total warping of the Virginia bill; hence, I was trying to figure out if you were okay with one situation of propaganda but not with another.

I have no issues with your stance on abortion. I'm merely concerned with a misrepresentation of facts with this particular Virginia situation that seems to have been hijacked and distorted for some sort of agenda and it's shameful.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Is this accurate? I am serious.

I grew up in a border state in the 1970s, (and FWIW on its northern edge) and I never saw nor heard of this. My Dad sometimes would talk about Amos and Andy from his 1930s childhood, but my impression was all of this blackface/ minstrel routine died with the Depression and WW2.
I am exaggerating, of course, but look at what is going on with these upstanding VA college boys. What are the odds? It is not uncommon at all. You'll be seeing more of them "outed". And FWIW, from the years I worked there, I don't think that anyone, black or white, comes out of the south without profound impacts from America's racial past. Not saying they are racists or anything like that. Just that race awareness is so interwoven with culture in the south, especially outside the cities, that it is inescapable.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
So many closet racists screaming racist at everyone else these days.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Seem that Democrats never considered how extreme political correctness could also harm them. Especially ironic coming off the heals of the MAGA teens / Indian drummer hysteria.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:01 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Seem that Democrats never considered how extreme political correctness could also harm them. Especially ironic coming off the heals of the MAGA teens / Indian drummer hysteria.
Precisely. I love it when they're eaten alive by their own ridiculous ideologue.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I am a bit confused about the Democrats in Virginia deciding to 'fess up' to past transgressions.

I assume that the Attorney General, for instance, believed that his past involving using 'black face' would be uncovered, and so he came forward.

Yet, even if every Democrat in Virginia were to stand up and declare "I too, was insensitive in my youth", does not really help things. I can't recall the movie, but it was with Robin Williams and he was a professor, and every student began to stand up in class and proclaim 'Captain my Captain' or such.

Democrats: while it is admirable that you are confessing past sins, do not think that the Republicans will join in on your mass suicide. Republicans deny everything. Take a lesson from them. Deny everything. Mr. Trump is a prime example of the Republican system.

Or, at the least, don't confess it without due duress.

I am one of those that believe that many white men have such a racist past. As one black opinion writer wrote the other day, "The black community is not surprised that white men were racist in their youth" (paraphrased).

However, the author noted that LBJ was a well known racist. Yet, he pushed through the Civil Rights Act, even acknowledging that with passage of that Act, "We (Democratic party) will lose the South for a generation". Yet, Johnson thought it was the right thing to do, despite his personal feelings for the black community.

Said author was saying: we can't judge politicians by their actions in their youth or in private, but how they help us now.

Another good example is Hugo Black, the Supreme Court justice that once was a member of the KKK. Justice Black changed his mind, and, as a Justice, was a very influential member of the Court for liberal causes (including equal rights for black Americans, which many believe was a 'liberal' position).

I tend to agree with all of this. Young people do stupid things. As for Mr. Kavanaugh, while the allegations were disturbing (sexual assault), there was certainly enough doubt to allow his confirmation. As I have often said, a President's nominee should be confirmed to the Court, save for good cause (Garland?).

Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Tucker Carlson suggested that Democrats wearing blackface is considered 'business casual' in Virginia.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:12 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am a bit confused about the Democrats in Virginia deciding to 'fess up' to past transgressions.

I assume that the Attorney General, for instance, believed that his past involving using 'black face' would be uncovered, and so he came forward.

I'm sure he came forward for that very reason. He knew he'd done, knew he was probably already being investigated by the right-wing gestapo, and better get it out there.

I'm fine with them fessing up. I think they've done that, they should just stick it out and stay in office now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies