Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,751,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And I grew up in Alabama and West Virginia! I didn't see anyone in blackface either!
Lifelong Alabamian who grew up in the 70's and 80's...never once did I see anyone in blackface. That particular poster is making up horse **** lies to denigrate southern folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:52 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Do you think if the dems are given a pass on this one that they'll return the favor if the situation comes up again in the reverse? No, they will simply say "well this time it's different" and continue on with their crusade. At some point they've got to realize that all this tactic of digging 30 years in to people's past for dirt is doing is tearing apart the cohesion of our society. It's time for them to back off on this crap. Maybe making them realize that they're wielding a double edged sword will help them realize it more quickly.

But you're not entirely wrong. If Northam goes down we get to eat popcorn and watch dems get hoisted by their own petard, and if he gets away with it we'll have a precedent to point to next time they try this on another republican. It looks like a win/win from my seat in the bleachers.
It is not a question of "getting away with it". You have just provided a great example of conceding their false premise.

The issue is not whether this guys wore blackface to a party 35 years ago. This issue is 1) whether the Democrats can use this kind of silly sh__ to attack and destroy their political opponents, and 2) trying to silence the controversy about the governor's infanticide remarks.

Since they are looking to marginalize Northam for the infanticide remarks anyway, but do not want to be seen attacking him for that, how much better to blame it on these silly party pictures from the 1980's.

Like you said, this practice of going back 35 to 40 years with the expectation that they can socially ruin people who failed to comply with their vile "Political correctness" agenda, even back then, is the problem here. We must treat that as the problem and not inadvertently enable the continuation of this scourge, just because some of us are inclined to be perhaps a little bit short sighted and impulsive, Pogue Mohone.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:52 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, the hypocritical, politically correct notion that every second of an individual's life must be perfect - and should be subject to the scrutiny and moral judgment of every political opponent, robs America of good potential leaders. Many/most have not lived perfect lives and don't want their families dragged through the mud over a youthful indiscretion.

Having said that, I despise the Governor's recent position on killing infants after delivery, abhor true racism - and am, in a sense, glad to see a democrat actually held to the same standard as Republicans -- by the left. Still, I don't think many could (or should have to) stand-up to this type of narrow, over-the-top, career destroying, righteous indignation over a 30+-year old college 'prank.'
Maybe as it drifts into the theater of the absurd as it has of late, people will stop politicking over it and judge the person on their more current behavior and the arc of their lives. We can't go on destroying people for youthful indiscretions especially when their behavior was not considered taboo at the time.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Well, I guess it is time, once again, to hear from the great Howard Stern and the late Petey Green on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFN3RrfaUk

Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
then you should be more upset than most by the democrat-sponsored PC/SJW lunacy that triggered this whole mess.
I am, and I don't think the Governor should have to resign.

I can't support the GOP currently because of their rejection of science and facts, but the SJW subculture of the Dems is really turning me off.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:57 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think that all 15 year olds should enter a time machine and go forward about 15 years, to find out if the future them is interested in a career in politics. If so, they should go forward another 25 years to find out what is and is not socially acceptable, according to the SJWs of the world (or whatever they'll be called in the future), so that they can then return to their 15-year-old selves and make sure that they do or don't do whatever is necessary to avoid offending anybody when they are in their mid-50s and entering the heights of their political careers.

Not that it'll matter. Using a time machine will probably be considered "racist" by then.
Great post that illustrates the absurdity of this whole thing.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is not a question of "getting away with it". You have just provided a great example of conceding their false premise.

The issue is not whether this guys wore blackface to a party 35 years ago. This issue is 1) whether the Democrats can use this kind of silly sh__ to attack and destroy their political opponents, and 2) trying to silence the controversy about the governor's infanticide remarks.

Since they are looking to marginalize Northam for the infanticide remarks anyway, but do not want to be seen attacking him for that, how much better to blame it on these silly party pictures from the 1980's.

Like you said, this practice of going back 35 to 40 years with the expectation that they can socially ruin people who failed to comply with their vile "Political correctness" agenda, even back then, is the problem here. We must treat that as the problem and not inadvertently enable the continuation of this scourge, just because some of us are inclined to be perhaps a little bit short sighted and impulsive, Pogue Mohone.
It doesn't matter how false the premise is when it's doing real damage.

Of course the issue is the vile tactics...the question is how do you best get them to see how destructive and counterproductive it can be? They don't care what it does to the country as long as they feel it gives them an advantage. They have to see that they can be hurt by it too. Keeping in mind that they have no problem being complete hypocrites about it, do you know of a better way to get them to realize their folly?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe as it drifts into the theater of the absurd as it has of late, people will stop politicking over it and judge the person on their more current behavior and the arc of their lives. We can't go on destroying people for youthful indiscretions especially when their behavior was not considered taboo at the time.
maybe then megyn kelly, who i don't even particularly like, can get her job back after being fired for merely questioning when and why it became 'racist' for a white person to dress up as Diana ross for Halloween.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:13 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This blackface business is part of southern culture like the stars and bars. It's what they do when they party. We can't kick people out in VA for doing this when they were kids. Won't be anyone left.

It is never a Southern thing.

You are making all this up only because it is one democrat after another who is now being revealed as a racist and you don't want the leadership to go to the republicans. if it had been the republicans doing it you will be braying for their blood.

BTW, it was not as if they were children. The governor was a 25 year old physician when he did it. He should have known better.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Apparently it is just as bad. Besides the photo or Northam, people are outraged about his dressing up like Michael Jackson for a dance competition. It doesn't matter your intent--like if you are honoring an entertainer because you like them so much. It just cannot be done.

Unfortunately college kids in the 80s didn't think much about that. There were tons of white kids dressing up as Michael Jackson and Prince in the 1980s.
Well if he got nailed on that, there are 10s of 1000s of young white kids in my area, that go out of their way to try to 'speak black' and 'dress black'...they are doing the same thing, they are just trying to be like their favorite rappers, if we are going to start calling people out for this, it needs to apply to all these young kids too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies