Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
The same sentiment he puts forth might apply to X'ers Y'ers and Z'ers. What's next by the way? Do we go back to the beginning of the alphabet and re-start with A'ers. I don't know, just tossing it out there.

XYZ, I think it can all be summed up as the younger Gens from the perspective of someone, oh say, 40+. Its all good - but the OP does have a point about Younger Gens that fit the profile I admittedly re-define here for the purpose of explanation.

- Entitlement
- Arrogance
- Lack of Respect
- Shallowness
- Excessive Self-Importance
- Unconscious Mandate towards Nuisance
- General Apathy
- Lack of Focus
- Lack of Pride
- Too Much Pride
- Unwillingness to Admit Error (Huge)

It just seems like a relatively clueless epoch in American history right now when it comes to some (not all) in the Younger Gens (XYZ/ABC/Etc.).

Still, I love'em. I think they are cute and cuddly. Just kidding. Trying to lighten it up a bit because I know generations before mine had some serious concerns about my age group, when I was "younger."

That last one though, "Unwillingness To Admit Error." Wow, that one is huge in my observation. Just take a close look at Eric and Donald Trump Junior. Poster children for "I Will Never Admit Error. Never. Ever."

[and yet you don't comment on Donald Trump Senior? AKA NOT A MILLENNIAL? Talk about being biased and certainly not "balanced." Perhaps it is Baby boomers who should be criticized?]

Again, though. I just love'em. So soft and furry. I tried to keep it balanced, but it is hard when talking about XYX'ers and ABC'ers.
They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.

-Aristotle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Still not in failure mode.
Stil not fulfilling the fantasy some older cronies have here.

This discussion is so old and boring and uselless.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:44 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Imagine having to deal with finding a job in the aftermath of the greatest recession since the depression.. Boomers never had to deal with that
Try being an inner-city kid looking for work in the 1979 to 1983 recession. The only jobs that were hiring with any types of benefits was the U.S. Military. I enlisted in the Army and served overseas in Germany and Korea during the Cold War... Waiting to be nuked or being poisoned with nerve agent by the Soviets and later serving in both wars with Iraq.

Back then, there was no staying at home and living in the basement till "things" got better. For many of us Boomers, it was sink or swim, but you were out of the house on or around your 18th birthday.

To the best of my knowledge, the U.S. Army is still offering pretty good benefits and always looking for young men and women to enlist.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
This is so stereotypical it's hilarious. You should do stand up.

Gramps, you do realize there are no "kids" who are millennials now? Right?

Many older folks use the term " kid " for anybody younger as terms of endearment.
I now understand your ways of commenting. Unfortunate lack of exposure.
You can learn something from older folks...... if you only listen.............
Best wishes.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Everything's relative. When you get really old, 50 is a kid.
Thankyou...........

Old 02-14-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
One word: Poor Parenting. Ok, that was two words. Nobody is perfect.

My generation gave birth to the millennial and it seems as if successive generations of people (in the United States) get weaker emotionally and psychologically.

The ability to self-diagnose, self-correct and self-steer also seem like weaknesses within the current set of younger gens.

I am saying that the concept of hard work and sacrificing something now for a greater existence tomorrow, does seem quite lost on too many in that generation.

When you compound arrogance with a lack of understanding (ignorance) is becomes a force multiplier to the downside of Human Behavior in general terms.

He drives in the neighborhood intoxicated, running his new vehicle (that Mom and Dad helped him get) up on the pedestrian curb regularly. But, again, you have to ask, where were his parents during the childhood rearing phase and how did they miss the essential part called Taking Personal Responsibility.

Thankyou for sharing
your story. There is much truth.
I recall scientific studies have posed the life span of a surname on average is usually 5 generations.
This may explain people getting weaker emotionally and psychologically over generations .
Advancing technology demands Higher IQ's to perform more complicated tasks today by the average man.
Robots are also replacing humans performing repetitive tasks forcing many towards higher education
just to maintain a standard of living. Those with IQ's of 83 or below may run into serious trouble down the road.

Setting that aside, my personal beliefs that ambition ,motivation and the hunger to succeed can be had by
many a person in much of the cognitive IQ spectrum. I have witnessed the mentally disabled employed and making a living while others of sound body and mind wasting away drinking and smoking dope. If a disabled person making a living does not put a fire under your arse as motivation, nothing else will.

Many of these wayward kids have all the answers but are still broke.
It is far easier for them to dish out blame than to look in the mirror and take responsibility for failure.
It is still not to late. Toss the PlayStaion,Xbox,Wii,alcohol,weed,vapes,........... ...and seek out employment.

Parent hold much responsibility in the manner the children were raised but it does not give the child or the
parent a free pass to give up if failure is incurred. The parent's responsibility ends when the child turns 18 but
can still provide the emotional corrective boot to motivate the adult child to go out and earn a wage to provide for himself.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
In 1970, my boyfriend's brother was killed in Viet Nam. He was drafted: he had no choice. He was in country for 6 weeks. Jimmy was a tall, good looking 19 year old, who loved a good time (I remember the snowball and water balloon fights). It really hit my boyfriend hard as he felt as the older brother he should have been sent instead. I have been staunchly anti-war ever since.

You do not have such threats over your life. We could have blamed it on the "Greatest Generation" or my grandparents' generation but my grandfather was very anti-war. The blame rests squarely on those in power at the time, not any generation. Please stop the blame game. It is non-productive.

My greatest respect for the fallen hero Jimmy.
May God lovingly cradle him in his arms.
I thank him for his service.
If not for his great service you nor I would enjoy the
freedoms that was sacrificed with his blood.......
So please do not undermine our hero by comparing him
to the contents of this post with your emotions in tow.
You have a right to your opposition to war but a country
without policing is a country to be conquered and I can only pray
that our military maintain that courage and fierceness to protect this
God... Blessed.... Country.
God Bless America...

Nuff said.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
No, it was clearly used as a pejorative term. In our country an ADULT is someone over the age of 18. You don't get to just say that anyone younger than you is a kid no matter how relative it is.
You obviously have not had the pleasure of mingling
within the social gathering of a close knit group of " old farts ".
What a damned shame.Don't worry. God Willing you will be there
one day and then you just might understand.
Best wishes kid.............

Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Thanks Mr. Retired. I guess the point that I was trying to make to the poster I responded to was that we have all had to make sacrifices at one point in time in our lives. The idea that the "Boomers" are to blame for all his/her problems harkens back to the one main reason that I feel the millennials are struggling. It isn't lack of education, lazy attitude nor drive. It is plain and simple a lack of patience. They have grown up in this instant society where they want something they pick up their always on demand phone, order it and it shows up next day. Instead of taking a picture and having to wait to have the film developed, they snap it instantaneously on that same phone. They've never had to wait to pick a phone receiver and wait for the party line to clear before making the call. Heck, it's voice mail now if someone doesn't answer the phone which means that it's mear minutes before having their call returned instead of leaving a message on an answering machine and only getting that call back when the called gets back home perhaps hours later. They want instantaneous success and instantaneous reward. And when that doesn't happen it creates, yes, I'll say it....instantaneous anger........
You are most Welcome.
Best wishes.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Every old generation picks on the new generation...it’s fricking boring. Change the way you view life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies