Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 10:05 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree. Apparently some folks still want others to remain invisible. On here? I listen to what they say, it's illuminating on the psychology as well as on other levels, folks like that are, imho, 'a dying breed' so to speak. Stating the obvious: personally do not feel it necessary to further appease.

https://mahockney.org/1863/12/19/bor...acy-in-a-line/

A more recent description:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080320...googlenews_wsj
Said persons seem like a dying breed, but where I live, I probably see them. I work in Downtown Atlanta, so running into such types is rare at best. I go back to where I live in the evening, I will run into them. One reason I'm very careful of whom I discuss this issue with. Some people don't want to hear what I have to say. I never thought of it until lately, but some persons don't want to hear me. They just want me to "shut up" and not question it. I feel like appeasing some persons is a stupid idea. When you appease those that shouldn't be appeased, it just causes more problems.

I think it was you who led me to the quotes from George Santayana. I think some persons just re-write history and for that, fail to learn. In some cases, they don't want to learn better. Learning better extinguishes any excuse for not doing better.

I don't know everything my ancestors did. However, if one of them did something despicable, I would not be loyal to their deed. I understand right from wrong.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold - their social custom and way of life was white supremacy...

Not sure why you don't get that. I'm not judging them. I am stating the facts at hand.

On your "successful blacks" comment in regards to me stating that blacks buy into a black inferiority idea, that also doesn't negate what I stated. The amount of money or plantation someone has is not indicative of their sociological beliefs about themselves based on their race/ethnicity. There are plenty of "successful" black people who have an inferior view (i.e. an inferiority complex) about black people. I know because I am "successful" and run in many circles of well off black people and over half of them have an inferior view of black people IMO.

And FWIW I had "free" ancestors 158 years ago. Many of them were pioneers and owned farms and land in the north and south. That also has no bearing on the fact that the "way of life" and what the CSA and their flag represent is white supremacy.

Again, it just makes you uncomfortable to admit this.
This is not about trying to refute or negate anything you, me or other people have said. Said persons haven't negated anything. This is about getting you to buy into their warped thinking. This is about said persons trying to derail this thread.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Said persons seem like a dying breed, but where I live, I probably see them. I work in Downtown Atlanta, so running into such types is rare at best. I go back to where I live in the evening, I will run into them. One reason I'm very careful of whom I discuss this issue with. Some people don't want to hear what I have to say. I never thought of it until lately, but some persons don't want to hear me. They just want me to "shut up" and not question it. I feel like appeasing some persons is a stupid idea. When you appease those that shouldn't be appeased, it just causes more problems.

I think it was you who led me to the quotes from George Santayana. I think some persons just re-write history and for that, fail to learn. In some cases, they don't want to learn better. Learning better extinguishes any excuse for not doing better.

I don't know everything my ancestors did. However, if one of them did something despicable, I would not be loyal to their deed. I understand right from wrong.
The definition of honorable.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
This is not about trying to refute or negate anything you, me or other people have said. Said persons haven't negated anything. This is about getting you to buy into their warped thinking. This is about said persons trying to derail this thread.
The only warped thinking is that a piece of cloth can harm you.
Men don't let a piece of cloth affect them.

At the end of the day, it's a flag.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:

LMAO No doubt that doesn't apply to the politicians you vote into office. Yea you really, really hold people accountable.

I need to get my hip waders on, it's getting deep in here.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
It's about getting people to buy into your warped thinking.

Look! Look! It's a piece of cloth, Everyone run.

We should ban them. And after that lets go after a book. Books are mean too.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The definition of honorable.
All I can do is my best. Some things and some people don't deserve to be honored. A question is this: Why honor those who did such horrible things?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 AM

The level of petulance on this thread isn't surprising. Some posts I have just ignored because I feel like I'm in high school. Some of the posts I'm seeing remind me of why I don't debate the Confederate flag with some individuals. All I will get out of it are childish, bratty responses.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The level of petulance on this thread isn't surprising. Some posts I have just ignored because I feel like I'm in high school. Some of the posts I'm seeing remind me of why I don't debate the Confederate flag with some individuals. All I will get out of it are childish, bratty responses.
Debating a flag is childish. It's just a piece of cloth. You thinking it affects you, is on you. You and you alone give it meaning.

Let me guess, you don't like to see interracial couples so you're going to throw a hissy fit over that too? See what I did there?

Old 02-26-2019, 01:28 PM

https://www.prri.org/spotlight/white...-pride-racism/

Quote:
Notably, eight in ten (80 percent) black Americans say they view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism.
But six in ten (60 percent) white Americans see the Confederate flag as a symbol of southern pride, a view shared by just 15 percent of black Americans. White Americans are sharply divided by social class: More than seven in ten (71 percent) white working-class Americans say the Confederate flag is more a symbol of southern pride than racism, a view shared by less than half (42 percent) of white college-educated Americans.
Notably, there are no divisions among whites by gender. Roughly equal numbers of white men (59 percent) and white women (60 percent) say the Confederate flag symbolizes southern pride.
Quote:
Americans are also strongly divided along party lines in views of the Confederate flag. Nearly eight in ten Republicans (79 percent) and a majority (52 percent) of independents say they see the Confederate flag more as a symbol of southern pride than racism, while less than three in ten (28 percent) Democrats agree. Two-thirds (67 percent) of Democrats view the flag more as a symbol of racism. This includes 64 percent of white Democrats—an 11-point increase from 2015 when 53 percent said the Confederate flag was primarily a symbol of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies