Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.
Get a new accountant...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

That makes sense. Complain about paying too much in taxes but vote for a party that wants to raise them to 70%.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Loopholes are good, they mean less tax, and corporations should not be paying any tax whatsoever. They should keep ALL THEIR EARNINGS and use them for reinvestment, research & development, paying dividends, and keeping prices attractive.
But instead they used the money on stock buybacks....wake up and quit worshipping corporations.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:34 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Here's another thought... Instead of giving the Fed Gov an interest free loan just so you'll get a bigger tax refund (one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard ), take that same amount of prepaid federal tax overpayment and use it to pay down your highest rate debt. That could be revolving credit card debt, student loan debt, mortgage, car loan, etc. The net return on any of those would be equal to the interest rate you're paying on them.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

So your personal income tax return is Trumps fault. Never heard personal income tax filings blamed on a president before. Could it perhaps be your withholding, deductions etc. I made the same money as last year (congrats on the increase in your income-GO TRUMP-) paid in less taxes by about 1,200 and got an additional 800 back on my return.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But instead they used the money on stock buybacks....wake up and quit worshipping corporations.
Eliminating outstanding shares strengthens their financial position which benefits ALL of the following: employees, clients/customers, shareholders, and corporate debt holders. Also, remember that 100+ million US retirees/workers have $28 trillion worth of investments in their pensions/retirement accounts. Those 100+ million people benefit when the corporations in which they're invested (as shareholders, corporate debt holders, etc.) strengthen their financial standing.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yeah--go ahead and vote for the dumpocrats--they are floating taxing you 70% at the very least..

You figure the OP made more than $10M last year?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Who are the people who are not getting much refund back?

I got $200 more this year than last. Maybe coz i don't own a home or stuff like that.

Why did some people get not much, or even had to pay when i got a bigger refund than last year?

Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM

958 posts, read 304,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Nah, this was more of a 'big education' rah-rah rally. And interestingly, none of the examples 0bummer used involved someone starting a business and making it profitable. It was mostly about being in government or being a writer, or some other non-producing area. And that is because these people despise business.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Did the OP ever get around to describing how much their taxes went up relative to income?

Is this another case of someone too dumb to realize they got most of their return back due to withholding over the course of the year and now are sad because their return is smaller and they don't know what happened?

Or are they just suddenly caught off guard by the deduction cap that was widely known for over a year?

These anecdotal cases without providing key info and conflating the size of the return with taxes paid just makes me shake my head over the lack of financial literacy in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies