Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
1. No law being made. Appropriated, unused money is being moved around. No new appropriation.

2. Great rant. Buh, buh, buh, how is this against the constitution. Executive discretion, power has been expanding since President Washington. Ugh, the court system gets to decide.

3. Put down the bottle. Cease and desist with the hallucinogenics. Poor histrionics on your part.

4. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693 From President Carter through President Trump. THIRTY-ONE ACTIVE NATIONAL EMERGENCIES BY PRESIDENT. You are funny, in a seriously deranged way.
Just noticed this (the bold, my underline) ... This is what Trump said. Or tried to imply. But he wasn't being straight. In the Rose Garden announcement, he used the word "allocated," saying funds to be taken have not been allocated. He implied that there wasn't any great need for it, that the Generals had told him so.

No such word as allocated here??? If you go back up a few posts to where someone copied the relevant military authority, the word used is "obligated." That funds not obligated can be reached. Per my understanding, that means "under contract." If contracts have been signed, then the funds cannot be accessed for the wall.

But all of the funds already have been appropriated. For specific uses. The WH has not to my knowledge released a specific project list. Trump said something about not wanting to get into it??? (I think there's some sort of general slush fund, but it doesn't have this kind of money in it.)

Yesterday, Stephen Miller sure appeared to address it, albeit somewhat hypothetically when he spoke about being able to build the fence to protect US military on the southern border during their patrols instead of using the funds to build fence (did he actually use that word?) for US soldiers in Afghanistan, Baghran.

I was bloody amazed he said that. What do folks think is going on here? Not implying I know, but it's hard not to wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
California and 15 other states filed a lawsuit Monday challenging Donald Trump's national emergency declaration.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tional-n972796
And this will get bogged in the courts until after the election me thinks.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,123 times
Democrats against border security! 2020!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can you show me your similar post when Obama did it?
Show me where he used national emergency to do something similar policy and budget magnitude wise as Trump.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Democrats against border security! 2020!
But for the Constitution, which you apparently aren't.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
1. No law being made. Appropriated, unused money is being moved around. No new appropriation.

2. Great rant. Buh, buh, buh, how is this against the constitution. Executive discretion, power has been expanding since President Washington. Ugh, the court system gets to decide.

3. Put down the bottle. Cease and desist with the hallucinogenics. Poor histrionics on your part.

4. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list...ry?id=60294693 From President Carter through President Trump. THIRTY-ONE ACTIVE NATIONAL EMERGENCIES BY PRESIDENT. You are funny, in a seriously deranged way.
Those were not used to bypass Congress on major policy actions. You fail.

Let's see how you squeal when a Dem President uses this precedent to shuffle around $7 billion or so for a "national emergency" of climate change or maybe healthcare or gun violence. Hey, no new law and already appropriated funds, right? Bet you'll hit the high C like a castrated boy when that happens.

And yes, again - the crap you support undermines the Constitution.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Tell that to the U.S. Customs and Borders who reported that about 90% of seized drugs at ports of entry. Experts say those stats should translate to all drugs. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/2591279002/

As for the reports for the walls, can you cite them? I mean I did with mine.
If THAT many drugs have truly been seized at the border, that should reflect many cities and states having drug shortages, or lulls in drug dealing, use, overdoses, etc.

Strange thing is, in all the years I was using, NEVER once was there a shortage or lull, when dealers were out or even low in supply, of course, this means, the supply is very reliable and consistent, none of the HUGE drug busts at the border seemed to have any impact on drug use, drug related crime thru out the country.

One mid level guy once told me, when you hear of these really big drug busts they discover at the border, 9 out of 10 times, its a load that was sent intentionally to be discovered, usually its low quality, purity then the stuff they know will reach its destination too. When cartels send BIG shipments, they usually send 'decoy shipments' at the same time, knowing they will be discovered, and they provide the cover for the real shipment to coast on thru.

Whenever I see media reporting on these big drug busts at the border, i always laugh and picture all the agents standing around the load, taking pictures and bragging about it...while right behind them, a fully loaded tractor trailer sails thru with no problems! LOL

Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Tell that to the U.S. Customs and Borders who reported that about 90% of seized drugs at ports of entry. Experts say those stats should translate to all drugs. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/2591279002/

As for the reports for the walls, can you cite them? I mean I did with mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If THAT many drugs have truly been seized at the border, that should reflect many cities and states having drug shortages, or lulls in drug dealing, use, overdoses, etc....
You all really aren't disagreeing. mkpunk (who's responding to someone else) is talking about the percentage of drugs at the SW border that come in thru the ports of entry. It's not that 90% of all incoming drugs are seized. No way, for sure.

This is only relevant for this thread depending on whether the Courts end up addressing if there is a national emergency (for drugs) that a wall will fix. While to me the answer clearly is no, the facts of the matter won't be important if the Courts don't find that issue relevant for their findings. They may not even go there.

Interesting, for sure ...

Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
But for the Constitution, which you apparently aren't.
Oh Ambient! How you crack me up. LOL

Old 02-19-2019, 09:56 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There was no national emergency declared with either Obamacare or DACA. Not sure what your point is.
Probably talking points from Breitbart for some of these folks anything they've read that supports their "beliefs" works as a retort. Facts don't matter for a lot of the undereducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies