Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:31 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Liberals live in places like L.A. where you make more money than most anywhere in the Midwest. For $300K you get a little condo in L.A. with all the traffic, homeless, gangs, and taxes up the rear where in the Midwest you get a 3 bdrm 2 bath home on acreage in a safe clean area.
Not in Minneapolis you don’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:32 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
The state with the highest rate of those over 25 without a high school diploma is California.
How many more times are you going to repeat that irrelevant piece of information? California also has high levels of people with college degrees.

So, overall, Leo58 is right: Better educated states tend to be more liberal states. That is a fact.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM

The 10 most and least educated states in 2018

10 most educated states
1. Massachusetts
2. Maryland
3. Connecticut
4. Vermont
5. Colorado
6. Virginia
7. New Hampshire
8. Minnesota
9. Washington
10. New Jersey

10 least educated states
41. New Mexico
42. Oklahoma
43. Tennessee
44. Nevada
45. Kentucky
46. Alabama
47. Arkansas
48. Louisiana
49. West Virginia
50. Mississippi

With a few exceptions, the most educated states are blue states, and the least educated states are red states.

California is smack in the middle at #25.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
How many more times are you going to repeat that irrelevant piece of information? California also has high levels of people with college degrees.

So, overall, Leo58 is right: Better educated states tend to be more liberal states. That is a fact.
I'd argue it's more relevant to look at metro stats - and when you do, you'll see that places like the Bay Area blow away in concentration of educated people (with only a few metros in the same ballpark).

If you want an explanation for why it's so expensive there, that is a big reason. Lots of highly qualified people moving to an area (in a short amount of time) taking high-paying jobs and not enough housing being built to accommodate them.

Of course, if anyone on this ridiculous forum understood subtleties, one would realize that there is actually a huge debate between established (mostly older) residents of the region and newer (mostly younger) residents on housing. See new state senators like Scott Wiener who are trying to address these issues sensibly through laws that incentivize housing construction.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:40 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,970,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What you're really describing is rural vs. urban, not liberal vs. conservative.

There are urban areas that are "generally conservative" with bad crimes rates - see Redding, CA (mentioned earlier in the thread), for example.

No. What I'm describing is the most violent liberal/democrat cities vs the most violent conservative/Republican cities. Their rates are not even close when it comes to murder, rape, assault.

Redding's murder rate is nowhere near that of the most violent liberal/democrat cities. I believe Redding had 5 murders in 2016. A rate of 5 per 100K. Some people here were saying it was more violent than Compton. Compton had 35 murders in 2016. A rate of 35 per 100K.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
No. What I'm describing is the most violent liberal/democrat cities vs the most violent conservative/Republican cities. Their rates are not even close when it comes to murder, rape, assault.

Redding's murder rate is nowhere near that of the most violent liberal/democrat cities. I believe Redding had 5 murders in 2016. A rate of 5 per 100K. Some people here were saying it was more violent than Compton. Compton had 35 murders in 2016. A rate of 35 per 100K.
Are you seriously suggesting that the variable of most significance in crime rate is "liberal" vs. "conservative"?

That is an insanely out-of-whack interpretation of history.

You're missing A LOT.

I'd recommend looking up redlining, race riots, and "white flight" of the mid-20th century as a start. Or check out many articles on the subject, such as this one https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-we-built-the-ghettos

Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM

8,343 posts, read 2,970,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that the variable of most significance in crime rate is "liberal" vs. "conservative"?

That is an insanely out-of-whack interpretation of history.

You're missing A LOT.

Why don't you explain where I'm wrong in some detail? The most violent cities in the U.S. are all liberal. Where am I wrong?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Quote:
Why don't you explain where I'm wrong in some detail? The most violent cities in the U.S. are all liberal. Where am I wrong?
I just posted why you were wrong.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No. What I'm describing is the most violent liberal/democrat cities vs the most violent conservative/Republican cities.
That's largely because there aren't a whole lot of conservative/republican cities - at least not big ones. It's kinda like complaining that liberal cities don't have enough cows. Well, there doesn't tend to be many cows in cities at all, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that you don't see many cows in liberal cities. Likewise, you don't get many big cities that are republican dominated, so you don't have many in which to find high murder rates in.

If you have 100 liberal big cities for every 1 conservative big city, you simply don't have a large sample size of big conservative cities from which to extract some sort of data from.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You're wrong in assigning a causal link between "liberal" and crime rate.

If that was the case, why aren't all "liberal" cities (and importantly, neighborhoods) full of crime?

Perhaps this is not even a variable of importance?

I listed links a few things to look into as well as a look in my post - I'd encourage you to actual understand the history of our cities before regurgitating another garbage "liberal" vs. "conservative" post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies