Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

The economy is booming, not sure what more anyone wants.

If someone does not want to leave their town, and cannot find work in the town, that is their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No one, promised anything of the sort yet Trump did promise to bring coal mines back to these towns. They are still waiting. Some people stay in small towns because of different reasons. Smaller schools, less violence, thier family is there. Maybe they work the land they live on, etc.

Moving to a bigger town might mean better paying jobs but with it comes a higher cost of living. Not to mention it’s the opposite of what I mentioned above.

On a side note: not sure if it was in one of these two videos, there was a couple where the wife voted for Trump and his promise to bring back coal jobs. Yet at the same time her husband was on Obamacare. And while she still supports Trump without Obamacare her husband would be long dead.
I see the issue...

Okay. No different than the Harley Davidson thing.

Trump promised to roll back regulations that harmed coal industry jobs via cost burden impacting viability.
It is up to the coal industry to follow through with the plan.

Harley Davidson.
They've ignored younger generations for years. They peddle over priced bikes that run on heritage and heritage only. They morphed into a lifestyle brand. They have consistently been outsold by Yamaha. Honda. Suzuki. Kawasaki.
How is it the Japanese bikes, even their "metric cruisers" outsell Harley?
Easy.

1. Bloated price. Can buy similar for half or less the price of a Harley.
2. Horrible or barely any warranty.
3. Liquid cooling vs air cooled.

Trump rolled taxes back. HD went bonkers when he started his trade war to benefit American business via tariffs. Harley claimed they would have to flee manufacturing to the Asian market to maintain viability/profit margins to get a slice of the Asian market.

How is it.
I. A small business owner.
Managed to hire on employees, pay them sustainable wages, that put what my competitors pay to shame, hire on younger folks not requiring a college degree or even relevant expirience offering to train them and pay them considerably better than what's available to them having no degree or relevant experience.
In 2 years I've grown my business.
I don't have asinine profit margin. I focus on volume.
How is it. I. A small business owner. Can take full advantage of Trump's tax plan and succeed and yet... big corporations can't?
I started out all on my own. Renting equipment as I needed it. To owning equipment. Employing 15 others. Paying them above the fight for 15, 15 per hour.

There can only be a handful of reasons.
1. EPA and previous administration's really caused harm to the coal industry to the point they can not open up doing business in those coal towns you mentioned.
2. No start up capital and dying market.
3. No or dying demand.

Because the only way I can even begin to put this logic into effect...
Would be me moving from NY to South Florida and opening a snow plowing service then cry the blues because there's no snow to plow and no ice to throw salt and sand down to prevent slips and falls in driveways.

So your issue is conflation.
Trump said he'd help get those jobs to come back specifically by addressing harmful/restrictive legislation/regulation.

Just like Harley. He doesn't own the coal companies. He doesn't own Harley. He helped them and they didn't do their part.
I did mine though.

Unfortunately with the likes of the "green new deal" gaining traction and attention kiss coal goodbye.
Better start mining for magic metal for the nuclear reactors needed...

It's no different than that thread where Kentucky business owners were hiring visa holders over Americans.
I remember that thread like it were yesterday. Matter of fact ibginne actually repped me for once instead of putting me in time out. Shut craigiri down too.

I did the math on what it cost to get the visa workers. Opposed to seeking out laborers locally.
It cost those idiots in Kentucky MORE money to hire visa holders as temporary employment rolls for the busy seasons, for both a roofer/contractor and a landscaper. Than it would if they offered 12-14 per hour for highschool aged/college aged able bodied individuals willing to learn and earn.

And just like them... blame Trump for not seeing the obvious answer right before your eyes. Hell I even went one further and found trade schools in their respective local areas! What was their excuse? I say stupidity.
Blatant ignorance. Oh I can pay Mexican Guatemalan etc etc nationals to be laborers for 12 per hour and all of the other expenses which did cost more in the long run vs paying a fair starting wage to Americans.

So when you guys say But Trump said. Yes. He did. He did say. And he did follow through on his end of the bargain. Your problem is with companies/corporations that didn't follow through on their end of the deal.
That's for you to comprehend and sort out.

And if they did I wouldn't be surprised if ya'll screamed FASCISM!
Or are you making the argument for Fascism? State/leader of state dictates what will be done to spur business/economy, businesses don't follow through send the gestapo after them for opposing the will of the leader/state?

Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Nobody is saying they have to move. Bill Maher had a New Rule about this last night that maybe Amazon should choose to put their new HQ in a more rural, red state area. His position is that red staters are angry because they feel left behind in the progress of the nation.

But here’s the deal, I was at a chamber meeting a few years ago with a focus on regulations, taxes and how they impact business coming to an area. They had a couple of regional development guys there who burst their bubble by saying that tax and regulation is not the first concern for a business as the look to open or move operations. The very top of their list is almost always infrastructure and workforce.
This is one of the fundamental problems in American society, and I don't see how it gets resolved.

The liberals in America are trying to drag the country into the 21st Century and keep up with the rest of the world, and the red states are fighting tooth and nail to stay in the 60s. But they somehow expect to get the benefits of the modern society they constantly reject. They don't want to pay any taxes, and they don't give a damn about education, health care, or infrastructure, but they ***** and whine 24 hours a day about always getting left behind by the blue states. The kind of people and corporations who generate revenue for a state, and move a state forward economically, don't want to move to a town where almost every restaurant is a Wendy's or Pizza Hut, and even those close at 9 PM every night.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I see the issue...

Okay. No different than the Harley Davidson thing.

Trump promised to roll back regulations that harmed coal industry jobs via cost burden impacting viability.
It is up to the coal industry to follow through with the plan.

Harley Davidson.
They've ignored younger generations for years. They peddle over priced bikes that run on heritage and heritage only. They morphed into a lifestyle brand. They have consistently been outsold by Yamaha. Honda. Suzuki. Kawasaki.
How is it the Japanese bikes, even their "metric cruisers" outsell Harley?
Easy.

1. Bloated price. Can buy similar for half or less the price of a Harley.
2. Horrible or barely any warranty.
3. Liquid cooling vs air cooled.

Trump rolled taxes back. HD went bonkers when he started his trade war to benefit American business via tariffs. Harley claimed they would have to flee manufacturing to the Asian market to maintain viability/profit margins to get a slice of the Asian market.

How is it.
I. A small business owner.
Managed to hire on employees, pay them sustainable wages, that put what my competitors pay to shame, hire on younger folks not requiring a college degree or even relevant expirience offering to train them and pay them considerably better than what's available to them having no degree or relevant experience.
In 2 years I've grown my business.
I don't have asinine profit margin. I focus on volume.
How is it. I. A small business owner. Can take full advantage of Trump's tax plan and succeed and yet... big corporations can't?
I started out all on my own. Renting equipment as I needed it. To owning equipment. Employing 15 others. Paying them above the fight for 15, 15 per hour.

There can only be a handful of reasons.
1. EPA and previous administration's really caused harm to the coal industry to the point they can not open up doing business in those coal towns you mentioned.
2. No start up capital and dying market.
3. No or dying demand.

Because the only way I can even begin to put this logic into effect...
Would be me moving from NY to South Florida and opening a snow plowing service then cry the blues because there's no snow to plow and no ice to throw salt and sand down to prevent slips and falls in driveways.

So your issue is conflation.
Trump said he'd help get those jobs to come back specifically by addressing harmful/restrictive legislation/regulation.

Just like Harley. He doesn't own the coal companies. He doesn't own Harley. He helped them and they didn't do their part.
I did mine though.

Unfortunately with the likes of the "green new deal" gaining traction and attention kiss coal goodbye.
Better start mining for magic metal for the nuclear reactors needed...

It's no different than that thread where Kentucky business owners were hiring visa holders over Americans.
I remember that thread like it were yesterday. Matter of fact ibginne actually repped me for once instead of putting me in time out. Shut craigiri down too.

I did the math on what it cost to get the visa workers. Opposed to seeking out laborers locally.
It cost those idiots in Kentucky MORE money to hire visa holders as temporary employment rolls for the busy seasons, for both a roofer/contractor and a landscaper. Than it would if they offered 12-14 per hour for highschool aged/college aged able bodied individuals willing to learn and earn.

And just like them... blame Trump for not seeing the obvious answer right before your eyes. Hell I even went one further and found trade schools in their respective local areas! What was their excuse? I say stupidity.
Blatant ignorance. Oh I can pay Mexican Guatemalan etc etc nationals to be laborers for 12 per hour and all of the other expenses which did cost more in the long run vs paying a fair starting wage to Americans.

So when you guys say But Trump said. Yes. He did. He did say. And he did follow through on his end of the bargain. Your problem is with companies/corporations that didn't follow through on their end of the deal.
That's for you to comprehend and sort out.

And if they did I wouldn't be surprised if ya'll screamed FASCISM!
Or are you making the argument for Fascism? State/leader of state dictates what will be done to spur business/economy, businesses don't follow through send the gestapo after them for opposing the will of the leader/state?
I had a few H-Ds good bikes other then when AMF ran the company, thier bikes are like old muscle cars, but to each thier own on that one.Trump like ANY. other politician made a promise that he couldn’t keep and like the fools they are people voted for him.

The rest of the fools voted for the other idiot. NO, President can bring back jobs. Period. Any politician who tells you that is a liar and anyone who believes them is a fool.
No, you can’t MAKE a company build a factory/warehouse to your town. Yet there are towns like Greenville, SC that invited BMW and I’m sure they gave them a nice tax break, etc. Maybe these towns “if they haven’t already” look at that business model. They have the land to be sure. I remember one guy saying that he barely made it though high school. For someone like him it’s all he has and it’s worth risking his life for his family.

Maybe that’s the biggest difference in the way you and I see this topic.

Your wrong about Harley’s though.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I lasted less than 2 minutes into the video. A town of 900 is never going to be a prosperous city. Small towns come and go, boom and bust. Been going on for ever.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I lasted less than 2 minutes into the video. A town of 900 is never going to be a prosperous city. Small towns come and go, boom and bust. Been going on for ever.
It wasn't even the town. The entire COUNTY has 900 people .

Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Let’s set aside “if some of you are able” Trump Vs Hillary, left Vs right for a moment here please.

Sorry for the crappy title.

The last few days I’ve been watching some of these types of videos on YouTube. These two were shot in West Virginia and the other in the panhandle of Texas. Like with anyone running for office they get on stage and flap their collective gums, and lie to thier voters in the American people as a whole.

These two focus on Trump and the people who voted for him and will vote for him. The video in WV is before he took office. Here’s my point before your ADD kicks in. Despite who voted for who be it Hillary or Trump, etc. towns and people are suffering barely making ends meet. As a country why are our elected officials not held accountable for not doing as they promised? I’ve been homeless and have lived on the streets before. Twice. No one was with me I was on my own.

These people have kids and grandchildren, yet so many are not making ends meet. Should the president “whoever it happens to be.” given two years to make some forward steps in the right direction? I think they should have to step down. Maybe two years is too short of a time, let’s say four years at most.

In the end towns like this that used to offer jobs and hope are dieing out and regardless whose in office, nothing truly changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38DY...&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vC2...&feature=share
Here in SC we have large patches of areas where railroads used to run through, timber mills used to thrive, and ghost towns now exist. As the interstates were laid down, and the need for railroads vanished, most of those old railroad towns dried up and the jobs went to the urban areas. The effects of the New Deal were great in many ways as they got our people back to work in a time of crises, but the deal hurt a lot of people as well, and the effects of putting in the interstate road system is still being felt today.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here in SC we have large patches of areas where railroads used to run through, timber mills used to thrive, and ghost towns now exist. As the interstates were laid down, and the need for railroads vanished, most of those old railroad towns dried up and the jobs went to the urban areas. The effects of the New Deal were great in many ways as they got our people back to work in a time of crises, but the deal hurt a lot of people as well, and the effects of putting in the interstate road system is still being felt today.
You're implying interstates were simply a political or economic project as opposed to an actual advancement that our country needed.

That's the problem here. Things aren't always political. Times change. If people aren't willing to change with the times they will likely get left behind. Some roll with the changes and other seem to sit back and whine that everyone else is changing and expecting them to stop advancing simply because they don't want to.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
There is another side to this story and it hits here where we live. This is a poor town for the most part and it’s mostly fully retired people. We didn’t do a very good job on reaseaching this town which is our fault.
There are some VERY good paying jobs her starting ay $15.00 and up. Yet unemployment here is high.
7% which is 45% higher then then the national average. Yet the crime rate is high here as well, it’s 50% higher then the national average.

The population here is roughly 4,100 people. Many young people here are hooked on meth because they claim that there is nothing else to do, other then have children.

For some reason or another people around here just don’t want to work. Granted the better paying jobs around here are factory and warehouse jobs. With the cost of living being so low here you can live well IF you are willing to work. This is the opposite of those towns in the videos of course, but when there ARE good paying jobs being poor is no excuse. Laziness is the only reason people aren’t working around here.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
This is one of the fundamental problems in American society, and I don't see how it gets resolved.

The liberals in America are trying to drag the country into the 21st Century and keep up with the rest of the world, and the red states are fighting tooth and nail to stay in the 60s. But they somehow expect to get the benefits of the modern society they constantly reject. They don't want to pay any taxes, and they don't give a damn about education, health care, or infrastructure, but they ***** and whine 24 hours a day about always getting left behind by the blue states. The kind of people and corporations who generate revenue for a state, and move a state forward economically, don't want to move to a town where almost every restaurant is a Wendy's or Pizza Hut, and even those close at 9 PM every night.
Bingo.

The people who generate revenue don't want to move to backwater places, no matter how cheap the houses are.

First of all, they have to pay above average salaries to attract decent employees and even these employees don't want to stay long. They not only want decent restaurants, they want decent schools for their kids, ...

We have several relatives in the medical profession who took jobs in rural areas to pay off their college loans. They all plan to leave as soon as the loans are paid off or their kids get to school age, whichever comes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies