Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
And maybe our military will be made up of unpaid volunteers with weapons and equipment paid for with flowers and all our roads paved with good intentions. After all, people should have the freedom to live in whatever fantasy world they choose...

As clearly some Americans already do!
The government should levy a sales or VAT tax. So everybody pays into the system even the leeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
There are no doubt many pros that go with charitable foundations. I worked as a volunteer for the Food Bank for a few years...

There are also a good many cons or shortfalls in terms of what charitable organizations can do where needed. Would be great if the Food Bank could replace the SNAP program, for example, but it just can't, not by a long shot, for more reasons than I have time to explain here.

Since you seem interested and able to dig into this sort of information by yourself. You really should, with an open objective perspective or you will miss the important facts of these matters...
Why can't it replace SNAP program?

It would be helpful to the discussion if you just list out the "important facts".

Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why can't it replace SNAP program?

It would be helpful to the discussion if you just list out the "important facts".
Charitable foundations can replace ALL Fed Gov social welfare programs. Let society vote with their wallets. Let's see what society actually values, instead of what they're forced to value via threat of asset confiscation and/or imprisonment.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think because the possibility of tearing up our existing tax code and starting fresh is about as likely as everyone agreeing about what to do in this forum. Hell, we can't even agree on what Trump seems to think is best when sure seems to me that Trump is making matters worse!

As tax refunds shrink, Republicans scramble to defend Trump tax cut

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...licans-1182286

That's why!
LOL!

Anybody using tax refund as a yard stick to measure how well the tax cut works is either a moron, a dishonest person or both!

In my opinion, that person should not be allowed to vote.

You don't need tax cut to receive refunds. Just pay more taxes than you are legally obligated before you file your return, you will get a bigger refund.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL!

Anybody using tax refund as a yard stick to measure how well the tax cut works is a moron!
Yeah, I explained that, as well. /SMH

Old 02-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Charitable foundations can replace ALL Fed Gov social welfare programs. Let society vote with their wallets. Let's see what society actually values, instead of what they're forced to value via threat of asset confiscation and/or imprisonment.
People value the wrong things. We'd still be driving on dirt and cobblestone roads with your scenario because people wouldn't value spending a $#!+ ton of money to fund the high quality paved roads we have now; and that's just one example......

Old 02-24-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People value the wrong things. We'd still be driving on dirt and cobblestone roads with your scenario because people wouldn't value spending a $#!+ ton of money to fund the high quality paved roads we have now; and that's just one example......
I can't stand your condescension.

Who the hell are you to tell us what we value is right or wrong?

Only government can build roads? Roads have long existed before the government!

Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People value the wrong things.
Who are you to say? No one has the authority to pass said judgment on anyone.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need. US welfare programs are federally funded. So that's the valid comparison: effective federal/national income tax rate.

Either American average income households ($59,000) want to pay a 45% effective federal income tax rate to get Euro-style social program benefits, or they don't. Take a poll.
What?

I told you what's included in European taxes, that's not included here. I on purpose quoted 100k family income (middle class, even though kind of barely, especially in some locations) to avoid the claim that everything is covered here by "welfare". Are you saying that my childcare and insurance all these years could have been paid by somebody else. Who is that? Is college also covered? Lol.

Schools are not paid by federal taxes, my kids schools are paid by my (huge) property taxes. So it needs to be included, no way around.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
What?
Compare federal/national taxes to federal/national social welfare benefits. That's a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies