Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It’s more immoral that the health industry is for profit ! It’s insane that we can cross the border or get on a plane and be treated for far less than in the USA. It’s all about profits and investors and not your well being. Those are hard facts. Govt aiding that -is just double injury to Americans. Btw those investors - many are overseas profiting from your illness.
I think a majority of the hospitals in the US are non-profit (yes, there are some for-profit hospitals). I used to work for Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) doing HIV research, and we were one of the largest private employers in North Carolina. I think there are 3 hospitals in the DUMC system and when I was there 2011-2015, it was a $3 Billion a year, non-profit.

Many people think those that work for non-profits don't get paid, of we get paid alright, some very nicely, they just have to use all the money they make to put it back into the company to pay for people's salaries, building new facilities and annual upkeep and maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 07:03 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
I don’t believe it’s a must to provide free healthcare because such a thing doesn’t exist. I do believe that a govt should make sure that affordable health care is available to all our population. A sick population is more likely to spread contagious diseases which would affect us all.

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I think most people agree that everyone deserves to be cared for if they’re ill or injured. They already are.
I think everyone realizes that medical care is very expensive and the money has to come from somewhere. It already is.
Part of the reason that medical care is so expensive is because those of us who have insurance, or can afford to pay, must defray the cost of those who get treated free.
If we pay more to cover others now, what difference does it make if it happens by taxes or by the high cost of insurance?
Do we really think the insurance companies will be willing to go out of business, or that the drug companies are going to start charging less for drugs? I don’t think so. This is why Medicare for all will never happen.

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Big pharma spends big money on R&D. Don't kid yourself.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...er-since-2006/
The US tax payer also contributes plenty to R&D.
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ch-for-drugs#2

Old 02-24-2019, 07:04 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Dear,
The one investing time and money is due his reward. You spent -10 years and a million - get it back plus but - I worked for a huge Insurance broker and that figure is multiplied like 150% fold for investors that never saw one medical syringe.
The same Peruvian dr goes to learn and invests the same time and money and his patients do not pay insurance - they pay the doctor 1/10 of what we had to pay if we did an office visit in us. And the dr does live nicely in his country with plenty of money to spend.

Yet, if not for those evil and greedy investors who took a financial chance, which created capital for the company, that company likely wouldn't exist... and it certainly wouldn't exist to the extent it does due to those evil and greedy investors.

I find it funny that one would insinuate that investors are somehow bad because they earn capital gains, yet you were employed, for money, by one of those companies that those investors made possible.

Basic economics needs to be taught in high school because it's obvious a lot of people are clueless as to how things really work.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think a majority of the hospitals in the US are non-profit (yes, there are some for-profit hospitals). I used to work for Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) doing HIV research, and we were one of the largest private employers in North Carolina. I think there are 3 hospitals in the DUMC system and when I was there 2011-2015, it was a $3 Billion a year, non-profit.

Many people think those that work for non-profits don't get paid, of we get paid alright, some very nicely, they just have to use all the money they make to put it back into the company to pay for people's salaries, building new facilities and annual upkeep and maintenance.
And it works ! But the profit side is the AMA and insurance - there are cures for cancer and other illnesses overseas that you have to break the AMA’s arm to allow. Right now Cuba has some surgery for vision repair - can’t do it here . There’s even some DR in Midwest who can cure some type of cancer but no AMA approval - and. The insurance co’s decide what they will pay for it not. A Plantation policeman got blown up on a call for DA and the Ins capped out at some point and they did not want to continue to pay. All hell broke lose. That man went home and is now working from home and takes care of his family. I just donated to a fireman’s go fund me - for medical. - thank God he is home again getting his strenth and for the wife thank God for go fund me page !!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:12 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,451,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I definitely think internet, food and shelter rank right up there with healthcare...maybe a vehicle too because we can’t all get to a bus stop. Not all of us have healthy bodies and not all of us have the sharpest minds to make the world work for us.

If we were to get “free” healthcare - any guesses on what would be pushed for next? With all the housing crisis talk, I think housing subsidies for those making under $50k. Perhaps cap rent at say $800 and the government kicks in to pay the rest up to a certain price point...sorta like the Obamacare subsidies.
First paragraph. ^^^^ This is why healthcare should not be a right. The slippery slope of all needs must be declared a human right. Nobody has the right to demand others' time, talents or skills to benefit others. Are you going to use the government as a proxy to force people to do this? Are you going to vote to force people to serve you? Scratch a leftist, find an authoritarian bellowing about morality.

Exactly what is your fair share of a service provided by the collective? Why, exactly what you need of course, no more, no less. And what is your part in this collective? What your abilities will bear (and the government determines this)

Each according to his ability, each according to his need.

You believe this is the way? At least have the courage of your convictions and say so publicly.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

There are plenty of for profit hospitals throughout the nation. Non-profit to me means "no shareholders" to worry about. No quarterly dividends sent out to those who have absolutely nothing to do with healthcare.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I think the question would be better phrased "Is it a moral obligation for a country to provide free health care?" and/or "Is it a right of the people to have free health care?" as in....is health care a human right? I don't think so, but I still cannot understand why we as a country (the worthless legislature) did not provide for competition across state lines between health insurance providers, which in my opinion, may have started to resolve some of the issues we face in that regard.
Someone has to pay for 'free.' And, it seems, once someone gets something for 'free,' there is no going back.
For-profit insurance for the most part does not like or want folks to have the ability to buy insurance across state lines. Why? because insurance companies know where high risk areas are located. The ability for someone in a high risk area to purchase insurance in another state in a low risk area is not profitable. That low risk area would soon be high risk and soon those rates would rise.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Yet, if not for those evil and greedy investors who took a financial chance, which created capital for the company, that company likely wouldn't exist... and it certainly wouldn't exist to the extent it does due to those evil and greedy investors.

I find it funny that one would insinuate that investors are somehow bad because they earn capital gains, yet you were employed, for money, by one of those companies that those investors made possible.

Basic economics needs to be taught in high school because it's obvious a lot of people are clueless as to how things really work.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.
I know the sides of both worlds and yes some investors are greedy bastirds who are literally killing people. Do you know the funding for illegal drugs flows through hedge funds. Go to the next thread and read up those wealthy investors just arrested for human trafficking. I just know those commiting those Lillywhite crimes, it is really crimson blood red and investment world -is the swamp it crawls around in. We all are investors with out 401’s etc. But way, way above our pay grades in some areas -it’s stinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies