Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
So Roy Moore is thinking about running for senate again. Now I thought the democrats were really underhanded with the way they handled the timing of the accusations against him in the last election, but this time around his baggage is a known quantity. I don't care how entrenched Moore is in the state's "Good Old Boy" network, the Alabama GOP would have to be extremely out of touch to think it would be a good idea to run him again.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ight-run-again

Yeah, it is really underhanded to examine someone who is running for Office isn't it?

maybe we should only vet people 2-6 years after they leave office that would likely appeal to you more..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Doug Jones was a solid candidate, but he wasn't so exceptional that he ever had the election locked. Moore handed it to him on platters over and over.

For sure, chasing underage girls was probably Moore's biggest offense, but a lot of folks were shocked at how much Moore abused his poor horse!

And if he wanted to wave a gun around while making a speech, Moore should have carried something that looked more like a gun than that minuscule pea-shooter he pulled out, whether it was deadly or not. Big strong cowboys don't wear rhinestone tiaras on the front of their cowboy hats when they give speeches.

Visuals like all these tend to take over things in folk's memories.

Alabama isn't the same state it once was. It's attracting new industry and becoming more urban. Moore became a reminder of the old Alabama in words, appearance and actions that were so grotesque as to become self-parody.

The voters can get over their outrage, but when a candidate becomes laughably comic, it's the end of the road for him.

Laughter grows and sticks around when a guy is unintentionally funny, and no one wants to elect a pathetic dimwitted joke to send to Congress.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Alabama. So GOP they came within 24K votes of sending a child molester
to the senate. Kind of would be funny if Moore was the candidate again. That is the only way Jones will be re-elected.

I kind of doubt the GOP itself will allow Moore to be the nominee. The GOP primary looks to be shaping up as a peen size contest of who can be the most conservative.
I was sure they would never allow Trump to be their nominee, but here we are. I assume absolutely nothing with the GOP these days. It wouldn't surprise me to see Moore as the nominee. Nor would it surprise me if the backward voters in Alabama voted him in. Since the GOP went all in with Trump, and all the lemmings followed along dutifully, anything is possible.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:25 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
He can't get a job anywhere else.
A job? Are you suggesting he humiliate himself by walking door-to-door seeking employment, like some menial low-caste? This is the South, and those of a certain standing are certainly not going to take jobs.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I was sure they would never allow Trump to be their nominee, but here we are. I assume absolutely nothing with the GOP these days. It wouldn't surprise me to see Moore as the nominee. Nor would it surprise me if the backward voters in Alabama voted him in. Since the GOP went all in with Trump, and all the lemmings followed along dutifully, anything is possible.
I think Moore is an excellent representation of Trump's base. I would be more surprised if the GOP didn't jump all in behind him.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:18 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
He can't get a job anywhere else.
Surely there are some Mall Cop jobs out there that he can apply for.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I thought he was run out of politics in disgrace for being a pervert.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-with-the-perv
If an immoral character like Trump can get elected, then why shouldn't Moore try again?

Old 02-28-2019, 06:05 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Repubs never surprise me anymore. I bet they would drag out and elect Denny Hastert again if it benefited them

Old 02-28-2019, 06:19 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
So Roy Moore is thinking about running for senate again. Now I thought the democrats were really underhanded with the way they handled the timing of the accusations against him in the last election, but this time around his baggage is a known quantity. I don't care how entrenched Moore is in the state's "Good Old Boy" network, the Alabama GOP would have to be extremely out of touch to think it would be a good idea to run him again.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ight-run-again
He won't get nominated after last time. And, note, while Moore ultimately won 54% of the GOP vote in the primary that year (which doesn't show overwhelming love and devotion), his prior statewide elections for supreme court justice were ultimately narrow victories as well, and severely under-performed other GOP statewide candidates. He has never been a very popular candidate statewide.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:20 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Repubs never surprise me anymore. I bet they would drag out and elect Denny Hastert again if it benefited them
And yet you defend the party who just elected Keith Ellison in Minnesota in the age of #MeToo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies