Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

If you could go back in time and kill or have Hitler killed before he started his regime and the Holocaust, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
I'll take a step up and say "no."

Despite the fact that I'm Jewish (by blood only) and the fact that my family was greatly affected by the actions of the Holocaust..... I wouldn't change a thing. The chain of events that occured during that time (Including World War II) happened for a reason. Now, I'm not saying that it happened "for a reason" to deduct any religious conotation...

If the Holocaust hadn't happened, there would have been no World War II. Many lives would have been saved, but there also wouldn't have been the need for Pearl Harbor. Many lives were lost there, but it caused us to strike at Japan. In desperation of plight, the Nuclear Bomb was made and used. Millions were killed/never born as a result of all of these conditions.... BUT

The end results are pretty astounding:

- Nuclear Power
- Japan rebuilt and became one of our best allies
- Japan became the technology guru
- USA took a stance as a world leader (more so than before)
- Women's rights originated from them taking over the men's work
- Rights for blacks, too! (Tuskegee Airmen, anyone?)

And more, of course.

And, it takes a tragedy to enjoy the silence of peace and tranquility. If the world was great all of the time, we would take it for granted.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
- Nuclear Power
- Japan rebuilt and became one of our best allies
- Japan became the technology guru
- USA took a stance as a world leader (more so than before)
- Women's rights originated from them taking over the men's work
- Rights for blacks, too! (Tuskegee Airmen, anyone?)
1. good thing we have nuclear power, now we can destroy the world quicker
2. let's nuke all the countries so they become our strong allies
3. I didn't realize you have to get nuked to become a technology guru
4. this one is true, but is the holocaust, wwII and pearl harbor worth what would have probably been accomplished in another way?
5. not too sure about the women's rights, but I do know they did take over the men's jobs
6. Jim Crow Laws didn't end until 1960

I do however respect your view, i just agree to disagree on this one.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
1. good thing we have nuclear power, now we can destroy the world quicker
2. let's nuke all the countries so they become our strong allies
3. I didn't realize you have to get nuked to become a technology guru
4. this one is true, but is the holocaust, wwII and pearl harbor worth what would have probably been accomplished in another way?
5. not too sure about the women's rights, but I do know they did take over the men's jobs
6. Jim Crow Laws didn't end until 1960

I do however respect your view, i just agree to disagree on this one.
1) A Nuclear Power Plant is much more efficient (in terms of energy output) and has the potential to solve California's Energy problems. Only difficulty is the "not in my backyard" mentality.

2) The Japanese do not surrender - as is part of their culture. They would rather die in battle than to "give up". A lot of thought process went into the conclusion to Nuke them. It's better to beat them hard into submission than to keep fighting the (losing) ground battles.

It also saved American lives from being lost.

3) America felt really bad about the nuclear attack and assisted Japan in rebuilding its infrastructure. Once we were all allies, Japan didn't have to focus its technological strength on defense, but rather for comfort.

4) All throughout history, it is taught and learned that to become powerful, you must show your force. People lost their lives and that in itself is a tragedy. But it did show the world that when the U.S flexes its muscles, damage gets done.

5) And when women took over the men's job, it showed that Women could do anything a man could. Women were integrating (more so than before) into the working world.

6) Rights don't come overnight. One spark can lead to a fire, but it does take time. This probably would have occured with or without the war.. but I think a correlation has to be made with the Tuskegee Airmen.

And yes, we can agree to disagree on this matter. The time period we speak of is still remembered by those who experienced it, it's remembered with memorials and lost ones.

But you ask if I (we) would go back and kill Hitler. And the answer is no. And the biggest reason is because: This is the world we live in. The events of the past have shaped the world - and we do not know what would be the outcome if we attempted to change the past. It might actually be worse!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,622 times
Quote:
If you could go back in time and kill or have Hitler killed before he started his regime and the Holocaust, would you?
No, I agree with Kuhari. Sometimes even the smallest of events has a major impact on the course of the world...Hitler coming into power in Germany was not a small event. Without this the world would be vastly different than it is now. The US would not have become a major superpower, many colonies of Britain would not have been relinquished...the list goes on and on.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
No I would not kill Hitler for two reasons.

The first is that it has to be remembered that Hitler did not exist in a vacuum. He came to power based on his oration skills, his ideas were already present and gaining popularity. If it was Heil Hitler, it would no doubt have been Heil Goebbels or any of them, really. The course of WWII would have still gone on more or less the way we know it, perhaps dates may have been different but everything else would have remained the same.

The second reason is that we don't know what would have happened if it wasn't Hitler leading the Germans. Perhaps the other fuhrer (and have no doubt there would have been one) would have made better choices regarding attacking the USSR, as in he wouldn't have attempted it. That is what lost the war for the Axis, had the Germans remained allies with the USSR, I don't think we would have won WWII.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

Changing history opens the door to many possibly, maybe, could bes.

Maybe if Germany had been treated better post WW I there wouldn't have been a WW II.

Or maybe Hitler just needed a better upbringing.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
With my bare hands.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Changing history opens the door to many possibly, maybe, could bes.

Maybe if Germany had been treated better post WW I there wouldn't have been a WW II.

Or maybe Hitler just needed a better upbringing.
So then the question isn't...would we kill Hitler but would we have allowed the disgraceful Treaty of Versailles to occur? Or, perhaps not adopted the Wilson doctrine...or signed up for the unconstitutional League of Nations...

The western world was in a recession/depression...it was only a matter of time until someone rose to power who was Hitler-like, perhaps it would have been communism that spread. Or Fascism as occured in Italy with Mussolini...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Certainly, I'll take a chance on alternative world-wide outcomes without Hitler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies