Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM

36,926 posts, read 31,192,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
We don't just give out a box of food, we have a market based approach, and the participants get to shop our market and choose the foods they and their families like. We also have cooking classes and a featured recipe that is made from foods currently in the market. Samples are offered to the participants while they are waiting to shop, and there are copies of that recipe available.

But I will mention the idea of focusing on some one pot recipes to the nutritionist, that would be a good thing to offer in a class and sometimes as the sample recipe.
Your food bank sounds awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:09 AM

53,504 posts, read 35,179,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
A collection of one pot recipes that can be made on a single burner could be assembled by volunteers at the food bank and given out along with the food. It wouldn't take much room to store or be a big hassle to carry home either. One big meal that you have for dinner for the entire week. My wife does this for my lunch...makes a soup or casserole on Sunday night and serves it to me all week. Works well.

Not sure why the article had to try to make it a racial issue though.
you must not be familiar with vox. everything is a racial issue to them.

i'm thinking these food pantries should be giving out used slow-cookers.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:19 AM

7,519 posts, read 2,829,906 times
Quote:
We don't just give out a box of food, we have a market based approach, and the participants get to shop our market and choose the foods they and their families like. We also have cooking classes and a featured recipe that is made from foods currently in the market. Samples are offered to the participants while they are waiting to shop, and there are copies of that recipe available.

But I will mention the idea of focusing on some one pot recipes to the nutritionist, that would be a good thing to offer in a class and sometimes as the sample recipe.
This sounds extremely helpful to people and hopefully avoids wasting items people wouldn't really want.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 PM

9,895 posts, read 3,455,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Why did this need to be made into a "mostly white, mostly male" issue? Or what amounts to pointing fingers at people who write about things that work for them, and may work for others, maybe not. Of course it won't work for everyone, like the people living in a hotel. It's cooking, people do it or they don't.
You never hear those who sit on their @sses enjoying the technologies and comfort of their everyday lives decrying the creators of those things as "mostly white, mostly male."

Old 03-05-2019, 09:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,854,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
A collection of one pot recipes that can be made on a single burner could be assembled by volunteers at the food bank and given out along with the food. It wouldn't take much room to store or be a big hassle to carry home either. One big meal that you have for dinner for the entire week. My wife does this for my lunch...makes a soup or casserole on Sunday night and serves it to me all week. Works well.

Not sure why the article had to try to make it a racial issue though.
Many camping recipes would fill this bill - how to make a nutritious meal using shelf-stable foods. In other words, access to a refrigerator is not assumed.

Even most homeless people can find a way to cook hot food with a pot from goodwill and a hobo stove.

Michael Pollan is one of my favorite authors, and his recommendations about food are dead on. But his audience has always been middle- and upper-class people who have choices and the time and means to exercise those choices.

I sure wouldn't feel like cooking if I came home after cleaning other people's houses for 8 hours and spending 2 hours on the bus commuting.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 AM

36,926 posts, read 31,192,543 times
[quote=jacqueg;54605731]Many camping recipes would fill this bill - how to make a nutritious meal using shelf-stable foods. In other words, access to a refrigerator is not assumed.

Even most homeless people can find a way to cook hot food with a pot from goodwill and a hobo stove.

Michael Pollan is one of my favorite authors, and his recommendations about food are dead on. But his audience has always been middle- and upper-class people who have choices and the time and means to exercise those choices.

I sure wouldn't feel like cooking if I came home after cleaning other people's houses for 8 hours and spending 2 hours on the bus commuting.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I work 8 hour days and commute an hour and a half, then travel some more to take the kid to ball practice and what not and still cook most every day. When its too hectic I cook meals on the weekend and freeze or have leftovers part of the week.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 AM

50,649 posts, read 47,488,255 times
Wow, that Sarah is one straight up racist.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,356,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Meh, I work 8 hour days and commute an hour and a half, then travel some more to take the kid to ball practice and what not and still cook most every day. When its too hectic I cook meals on the weekend and freeze or have leftovers part of the week.
And that means you've got a working stove, pots and pans and knives and other cooking tools and storage containers and a big enough kitchen including a functional and large enough fridge/freezer to keep it all in. Not to mention can afford to purchase enough food at one time to cook large meals with leftovers to store and freeze.

Not everyone has access to all the things you have access to even if they aren't homeless but it's easy to not realize all of this unless you are actually talking to some of those people and hearing their stories like the landlord refusing to fix the stove for over a year.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:23 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,481,895 times
Quote:
And that means you've got a working stove, pots and pans and knives and other cooking tools and storage containers and a big enough kitchen including a functional and large enough fridge/freezer to keep it all in. Not to mention can afford to purchase enough food at one time to cook large meals with leftovers to store and freeze.

Not everyone has access to all the things you have access to even if they aren't homeless but it's easy to not realize all of this unless you are actually talking to some of those people and hearing their stories like the landlord refusing to fix the stove for over a year.
Most of those stories are just lame excuses. Fix the damn stove yourself then go after the reimbursement later.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,356,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Most of those stories are just lame excuses. Fix the damn stove yourself then go after the reimbursement later.
Sure, because the people who need to use the services of a food bank are just rolling in money and can afford to hire someone to fix an appliance they don't own and hope that the same landlord who has refused to fix it will politely reimburse them for their troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies