Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:08 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chile70 View Post
It has long been a mystery to me why any sane person, straight or gay, would wish to be married.

You won't get screwed in a divorce settlement if you don't get married. It's not complicated.
I advise you to look at prenuptial agreements. My and my man have one. Makes things less messy and sets expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 04:37 PM

52 posts, read 30,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I advise you to look at prenuptial agreements. My and my man have one. Makes things less messy and sets expectations.
Doesn't apply to me at present as there's no special woman in my life now, and if I'm honest there's unlikely to be. That said, there have been several long term relationships lasting many years. I loved all of them, and when we parted it was in each case done as amicably as possible, and we walked away to get on with our lives. I shudder to think what may have happened had the state been involved also.

Forgive me, I digress. To your point, I have read several times that prenup agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on, and routinely thrown out by a beak (a judge). However, I have no legal training, so I may be misinformed about that.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:52 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
How many of those divorces are caused by living with nagging moms-in-law?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:16 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chile70 View Post
It has long been a mystery to me why any sane person, straight or gay, would wish to be married.

You won't get screwed in a divorce settlement if you don't get married. It's not complicated.
Probably just tradition, keeping up with friends and trying to make family members happy. A lot of women need it to feel validated as a worthy partner (and obviously the financial stuff usually works in their favor if SHTF).

Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband and I have been together 40+ years and have never really fought.
After a certain point if you aren’t already divorced you are less likely to ever get divorced. The divorce rate is listed as 50% but what is not discussed as much is that first marriages survive at a higher percentage than second marriages and the percentages get downright dismal once someone has been married more than three times. Some people by nature are better able to live with other adults than others.
Weren’t you against same sex marriage Oldhag?

Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
The studies really show that lesbian relationships are weak! Why? Because they are women? No, it’s because lesbains impulsively bond far too quickly and jump into relationships. Slow down ladies.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
No such thing as "gay marriage", since marriage by definition means the union of a man and a woman. I suppose somewhere there might be a gay man married to a gay woman, so I guess it could possibly exist someplace.

But that aside, one reason these relationships might be more "resilient" to dissolution is that the "market" is far smaller thus limiting choices. If only a few percent of the population is in your "pool" then that certainly limits your options of partners, versus the regular pool.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
No such thing as "gay marriage", since marriage by definition means the union of a man and a woman. I suppose somewhere there might be a gay man married to a gay woman, so I guess it could possibly exist someplace.

But that aside, one reason these relationships might be more "resilient" to dissolution is that the "market" is far smaller thus limiting choices. If only a few percent of the population is in your "pool" then that certainly limits your options of partners, versus the regular pool.
Quote:
Marriage-

(broadly) any of the diverse forms of interpersonal union established in various parts of the world to form a familial bond that is recognized legally, religiously, or socially, granting the participating partners mutual conjugal rights and responsibilities and including, for example, opposite-sex marriage, same-sex marriage, plural marriage, and arranged marriage:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/marriage

I can recommend a few dictionaries for you to browse through!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:02 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Weren’t you against same sex marriage Oldhag?
I have attended a couple of them, present in tow. On a personal level I have zero issue with it. Zero. Everyone should the right to determine who they call family and I couldn’t care less about what goes on in the privacy of someone’s bedroom, provided it only involves consenting adults.

It is the public policy part that bothers me. I think the government should quit calling it marriage and only do civil unions, therefore distinguishing between the legal aspect and the religious aspect, and that it should be available to any two consenting adults regardless of gender or prior relationship between the two parties (such as being siblings). What I am very strongly against is forcing non-governmental entities to participate - you know, as in forcing someone to make a wedding cake they don’t want to. But all that is neither here or there as far as the topic of this thread, this thread is about stability within the various marriage combinations.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know quite a few gay guys who are actually full of drama. But they do tend to be fun either way.
I have to agree that women, at least American and westernized women, feel more entitled, think they're right even when they're wrong, and are more emotional. Not all of them, but enough of them... It's usually women who file for divorce... The fact that this study shows that men seem to stay married and are much happier when women aren't in the equation is very telling.... Of course women aren't going to like the outcome of the study... They seem to only like and accept outcomes when it favors them and puts down men...

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-10-2019 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Inflammatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies