Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:26 AM

824 posts, read 704,675 times

Advertisements

a significant number of same sex gay couples have already weathered the early divorce years with success and have been partnered for years. If they choose to marry, likely it will not change anything for them.

Go figure; marriage gives a tried proven civil legal package to better handle investments, taxes and retirement.

not much to be gained by peeping into people's lives:
the gay population is small; 5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"Instigate"? What does this mean? Divorce is their fault 80% of the time or women are more often the ones who are filing? Because I doubt there is any proof of the former, or that it even could be proven, and if it's the latter, that doesn't suggest that women are the ones at fault who are causing divorce, so I'm not sure how this is relevant at all.
its not. women file at a hire rate which has nothing to do with instigating the divorce.
As it stated:many after years of feeling unheard or having their concerns minimized.
Which means the marriage was already way over for what ever reason but men tend to just keep the status quo even when the couple is not even living together. One has to file in order to get financial help for the kids.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I agree. I never really thought about it before that most girls I've dated are like this. I never think about the big picture and compare them, but you're right they are driven by emotions and not by what makes sense and thats at all!! I'm supportive, but that doesn't mean their decisions make sense.
Your going to have to give some examples because that sounds a lot like parroting.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How come you don't know that poster wasn't making it about you, since it isn't or that your example is just one data point? Just another woman, letting emotions get in the way which isn't conducive to problem solving.

It takes a man to put up with that. And since there aren't many around anymore of course there are going to be more lesbians. Do you blame them? I don't, even though the odds are against them marriage wise.
Here is an example of how emotion is perceived.
For men, displaying anger is acceptable and justified.

For women, displaying anger makes us irrational.

For men, fighting for a cause shows passion and commitment.

For women, it’s a sign of being bitter and resentful.

For men, crying is a breakthrough, a sign of sensitivity and compassion.

For women, crying means you have PMT.

The poster your replying to made a post describing her marriage JUST LIKE the OP made a post describing his marriage. In your mind the OP was making a point while the female poster was letting her emotions get in the way.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...heterosexuals/

Destroy the sanctity of marriage? Looks to me like we (married gay dudes) are saving it.

Since women instigate 80% of divorces, wouldn't cutting out women from marriage significantly cut down on divorces and thus further protect the sanctity of marriage?

Just food for thought.
I thought gay marriage was no different than a heterosexual marriage... do you really want to delve into it being different? We could then delve into calling gay marriage something completely different...

Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I have to agree that women, at least American and westernized women, feel more entitled, think they're right even when they're wrong, and are more emotional. Not all of them, but enough of them... It's usually women who file for divorce... The fact that this study shows that men seem to stay married and are much happier when women aren't in the equation is very telling.... Of course women aren't going to like the outcome of the study... They seem to only like and accept outcomes when it favors them and puts down men...
Thats funny. You really think any woman cares about that study. Personally I'm happy same sex couples can now legally marry and I'm happy when I see couples that stay together in a happy marriage regardless of their genders.

Im sorry did the study say men are happier when women aren't in the equation? How would one come up with that little gem.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Do you even understand what the word "Rate" means? Certainly not from this statement of yours.
Of course I understand what the term "rate" means.

If you get a lower percentage of couples of a certain group marrying compared to another group, chances are, the group that marries at a lower rate is going to a more highly self-selected group than the other group. That is, they are more likely going to be an "elite" among that group that marries, whereas in the other group where marriage is much more common, the people that do marry are going to be more "pedestrian" (for lack of a better word).

So among gays, let's say that only 2 of 10 couples marry. And let's say that among straights, 6 of 10 couples marry. The gay couples that marry are a relative "elite" among gay couples, whereas the straight couples are going to be a more ordinary sample of straight couples. Because the gay marriages are largely among an "elite" their marriages are more likely to last longer. You would get almost no divorces among the 2 of 10 gay couples marrying, while you will get, say, 2 or 3 of the 6 straight couples divorcing, resulting in a higher divorce rate.

I suspect that as time goes on and gay marriage becomes more and more common (and straight marriage becomes less common), the divorce rates of the two groups will converge.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Incidentally, rape or sexual assault is also virtually non-existent in the gay male community as well. Whereas, with heterosexuals rape is practically an epidemic against women. Men with men are usually better sexually balanced, and have a matching chemistry.

Last edited by 9162; 03-18-2019 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Another reason I personally believe women are more likely to want to get divorced than men is because men usually have a LOT more to lose. Divorce almost always favors women PERIOD.... Women usually get alimony, the family home, child support, and the children. Men get stuck supporting women they are no longer with and having to pay a much larger burden of the cost to raise the kids all the while having to try and support themselves on the same salary. They usually go from see their children daily to only being allowed to see them the standard every other weekend aka 4 days a month as well...

It's crazy to me why any man in today's age gets married and has kids... I'm not gay, but there's ZERO doubt in my mind and that I'd be much happier if I was gay and didn't have to deal with women financially and romantically.

As an aside, I know there's a huge disparity between men and women when it comes suicides... I wonder what the suicide statistics are between married heterosexual men and gay men...
This same old crap.
Do you ask why men have a lot more to lose?
Why do women usually get alimony? (they dont but for arguments sake). Because they dont work (31.3 % of married women with children don't work outside the home) thus have greatly unequal ability to generate income. Now ask why dont they work?

Which goes to why they "get" the family home (they get the mortgage also) and the child support and the children.
So they get child support because they get the children. They get the children because they are generally the primary care giver, they are the primary care giver because they sacrifice career (goes back to alimony). They "get" the house because it is the children's home.

Now ask why so many more women give up their careers/income to be the primary caretaker of the children than men do.

And btw the average child support payment for one child is $430/month. Thats average and generally 25% of ones income. Your honestly going to argue that is the larger burden to raise a child, writing a check each month for 420 +/-$. Not securing a living wage job that is flexible so you can get your kids to school and back, attend school activities, take extra sick days and time for various appointments, child care cost, school clothes, school and activity fees, insurance, a home, utilities, transportation, food, medicines, other products, hair cuts, etc. etc. Thats is not covering actual parenting, spending time with kids, cooking, doing their laundry, helping with homework, projects, drama, emotional support, discipline, attending practice, games/tournaments, recitals, driving them to where ever they need to go, etc.

Ask yourself why men are "only allowed" to see their kids every other weekend (again not true).
Why do more men not seek custody? Why do more men not become primary caretakers of their children?
Why do you believe a woman (or man) would choose to divorce in order to live off alimony and child support, if she(he) actually got alimony and child support, and have no partner to raise her children with, no mate to share responsibilities?

I would bet all these issues arise regardless if it is a hetero, or same sex (male or female) marriage.
It will be interesting to see in the future as homosexual marriage and divorces increase just how the courts are going to deal with child custody, child support and alimony. How will one argue/justify the XYZ initiates more divorces and the courts always favor XYZ, xyz gets child support and alimony.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Incidentally, rape or sexual assault is also virtually non-existent in the gay male community as well. Whereas, with heterosexuals rape is practically an epidemic against women. Men with men are usually better sexually balanced, and have a matching chemistry.
Male Sexual Assault | Mississippi Coalition Against Sexual Assault
• 37 percent of bisexual men experience rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner, compared with 29 percent of heterosexual men.

• 40 percent of gay men and 47 percent of bisexual men have experienced sexual violence other than rape, compared to 21 percent of heterosexual men.

Not sure that is considered non existent. And not something to be ignored. Sexual assault is a serious problem regardless of genders involved.
I dont understand the need to try to prove homosexual relationships/marriage is better than heterosexual relationships/marriage. Cant we just be happy that we live in a time and place where two people who want to be together, want to marry, are free to do so and with increasing support from society at large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies