Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:13 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,630,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Second study is interesting. But the title of this post is not correct. It's not about divorce, it's about breaking up. It's much easier for a couple, any couple, to break up rather than divorce. Since same sex marriage has only been allowed in the USA since 2015 I think we'll have some better stats a few years from now.
FWIW/to add to/clarify my previous post, the lone divorce that I mentioned in that post involved a couple outside of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,910,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My husband and I have divided up housework where both of us are happy. For example, in the kitchen he cooks I clean. So, he would cook, we would help each other set up the table, then after we are done with the meal I would take the dishes away and stack them into the dishwasher.

We have our own properties and home design/renovation business. He does all the designing and I do all the renovating. He deals with the clients/tenants and I deal with the money. Etc. We have had disagreements and have resolved our differences with logic and reasoning. Never really had an argument before. To us, if it makes sense we follow it.

We both have straight friends. It seems to us that many of the straight couples we know have trouble with the differences in how the different sexes think. The guys want to do what makes sense and the women follow their emotions.

I'll be honest here. Once upon a time, I dated women. Our problems were always the same. I wanted us to do things that made sense and they wanted to do things based on how they felt. You have my permission to call me a sexist. I'm not saying all women act this way. But I have interacted with enough women to have observed this main difference between the two sexes.

And to be fair, I have met plenty of irrational guys. One of my ex was a crazy mofo.

Edit.

I should also add that based on my observation women tend to be on the side of making everything into a crisis situation while guys tend to be laid back. I suspect this is a big reason why women instigate 80% of divorces.
I agree. I never really thought about it before that most girls I've dated are like this. I never think about the big picture and compare them, but you're right they are driven by emotions and not by what makes sense and thats at all!! I'm supportive, but that doesn't mean their decisions make sense.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM

15,662 posts, read 10,437,822 times
I'd have to read the study, but off the top of my head there may be some very good reasons gay men have stayed married compared to heterosexual couples. One reason could be gay couples who have married have been together for many, many years prior to being able to legally marry. The law allowing gay people to marry is new, but long-term relationships between gay couples sure aren't new.

intuitively, I don't think gay men are better at relationships than heterosexuals. gays are just regular people.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 AM

40,977 posts, read 49,331,421 times
Money and kids are 2 of the big stress factors in divorce are minimized with Gay marriage.

Monogamy ? Yes I know many gay couples are but with a married Gay son, 2 gay married cousins and being involved with PFLAG for over 10 years... Monogamy is not always high on the list of must do's for many gay couples.

That could be good, that could be bad. It's like Straight couples who are swingers. It helps some relationships and hurts others.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 AM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is really sexist, unsurprisingly. Thanks for giving me "permission" to call you one. I would have called you one either way, because it's obvious. So obvious you even know it.

It's obvious you know nothing about women. Which isn't surprising, either.
LOL

Well, I'm a rational person. I don't think I'm sexist. But I also know how I sound to women who think they are correct 90% of the time in their relationship haha. It is a pointless endeavor for me to convince women otherwise.

My husband and I have both admitted we were wrong countless times. Usually, we would discuss our differences in opinion and eventually we both reach a conclusion that makes sense. One could be wrong before or we both could be wrong before. We make it a priority to follow what makes sense even if it goes against our feelings. We have found that this attitude alone takes care of 99% of our problems.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:38 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,839,229 times
Quote:
LOL

Well, I'm a rational person. I don't think I'm sexist. But I also know how I sound to women who think they are correct 90% of the time in their relationship haha. It is a pointless endeavor for me to convince women otherwise.

My husband and I have both admitted we were wrong countless times. Usually, we would discuss our differences in opinion and eventually we both reach a conclusion that makes sense. One could be wrong before or we both could be wrong before. We make it a priority to follow what makes sense even if it goes against our feelings. We have found that this attitude alone takes care of 99% of our problems.
My husband and I do the same things. And I’m a woman. I don’t think I’m correct 90% of the time. Sometimes I am and sometimes my husband is. We discuss things and reach a decision together. Our relationship of 37 years isn’t fraught with drama or fighting. How can that be since in your world view women are ruled by their feelings and devoid of logic?

IMO, as a gay man, you’re uniquely unqualified to pontificate on marital relationships with women not to mention extremely sexist. Stop judging an entire gender based on your prejudices and assumptions. I don’t judge your marriage. Quit judging mine.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,930,431 times
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...heterosexuals/

Destroy the sanctity of marriage? Looks to me like we (married gay dudes) are saving it.
Quote:
Women instigate about 80 percent of divorces—many after years of feeling unheard or having their concerns minimized.

Since women instigate 80% of divorces, wouldn't cutting out women from marriage significantly cut down on divorces and thus further protect the sanctity of marriage?

Just food for thought.
So what you're saying is women are mean. You don't have to be gay to know that.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,930,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My husband and I do the same things. And I’m a woman. I don’t think I’m correct 90% of the time. Sometimes I am and sometimes my husband is. We discuss things and reach a decision together. Our relationship of 37 years isn’t fraught with drama or fighting. How can that be since in your world view women are ruled by their feelings and devoid of logic?

IMO, as a gay man, you’re uniquely unqualified to pontificate on marital relationships with women not to mention extremely sexist. Stop judging an entire gender based on your prejudices and assumptions. I don’t judge your marriage. Quit judging mine.
How come you don't know that poster wasn't making it about you, since it isn't or that your example is just one data point? Just another woman, letting emotions get in the way which isn't conducive to problem solving.

It takes a man to put up with that. And since there aren't many around anymore of course there are going to be more lesbians. Do you blame them? I don't, even though the odds are against them marriage wise.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM

293 posts, read 121,767 times
Quote:
Since women instigate 80% of divorces, wouldn't cutting out women from marriage significantly cut down on divorces and thus further protect the sanctity of marriage?

Just food for thought.
Think more

Maybe cutting out men would help, then no one would have to divorce them

Old 03-09-2019, 04:06 PM

52 posts, read 30,175 times
It has long been a mystery to me why any sane person, straight or gay, would wish to be married.

You won't get screwed in a divorce settlement if you don't get married. It's not complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies