Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Most Republican and Democratic voters care about the country, they just have different ideas on how to get there. I think the best way to get there is to come somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately you have extremists from both sides of the aisle who are trying to prevent that from happening.
There is no middle. Caring about a country is not same as caring about the people. Caring about a business is not the same as caring about the workers, their children. The focus Dems have is different from what Repubs want. Middle will not work because the values are very different. It is like evengalist Repubs wanting to ban abortions but will not fund housing, education, or healthcare for children. Dems want women to have control over their own body and provide child care so mothers can work and feed their children. There is no middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I don't know if this polarization among voters is a new thing or it has always been thus. In any case Republicans and Democrats are just different species, like carnivores and herbivores, in how they see the world. The analogy is not exact but the difference is that vast in what they see as essential to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Democrats see the Government as a moderator and facilitator that oversee that this pursuit of happiness is fair and equitable to all and secure the safety in which they do this. Dems believe everyone desire safety and prosperity, and should have opportunity to do so in an equal atmosphere, and also believe that kind of equality is not always guaranteed and should be diligently preserved. They believe part of living in a community means also that our taxes should provide this kind of opportunity with social services, education, and accessible loans. They believe healthcare is a right and that the most powerful country should be able to guarantee that. While they believe in free market is essential for prosperity for all, it requires regulations because corporations exist to make profits, not to be an ethical and civic minded entity. Only people can do that.

Republican will disagree with all of this and have a very different way of solving these issues, if they think these are issues at all.
I'm guessing you're new to politics, if you're uncertain whether this extreme polarization is recent. Dems and Reps have different core ideas, but Republicans used to be quite rational and civil in the past.

I really like your use of "facilitator."

Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
There is no middle. Caring about a country is not same as caring about the people. Caring about a business is not the same as caring about the workers, their children. The focus Dems have is different from what Repubs want. Middle will not work because the values are very different. It is like evengalist Repubs wanting to ban abortions but will not fund housing, education, or healthcare for children. Dems want women to have control over their own body and provide child care so mothers can work and feed their children. There is no middle.
Conservatives see the government as being set up to defend the Natural Rights of Life, Liberty, and Property. They do not see a fetus as just a part of a woman's body, and so expect the government to protect it. Conservatives do not see it as the government's place or job to provide for every need of the citizens. It isn't that we don't want to help those people, we just don't want the government to decide who gets what.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Some of the things that were mentioned the Republicans do want also so I don't get your point. I just pointed out the things that they disagree with the Democrats on. Things that most sane people would oppose.
When do Republicans talk about fair living wages, equal pay, good schools, free child care for working parents?
Or about racial disparity in wealth and black people disproportionally on death row and jailed? You don’t hear that because they don’t think that way they don’t want those things.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:20 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
The time for women to control their bodies is before engaging in sex. There is no excuse for getting pregnant these days when there is so much birth control around. Just because a consenting couple were careless and didn't take precautions there is no conflict in conservatives being opposed to abortion and not wanting to support kids that the parents should be supporting. By doing so we are just enabling and encouraging irresponsible behavior.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:24 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ya know...last night a friend and I were listening to some really old songs and it makes you realize how we used to feel like one country, how we used to be able to say (and sing) things and it was ok.

We listened to Louis Armstrong singing with Bing Crosby "Gone Fishin' " and they were playfully accusing each other of being lazy and no good for going fishing instead of working. If a white person said that to a black person today, they'd be called racist. I don't know what they black person would be called, if anything.

We listened to Woodie Guthrie and Hank Williams Jr, and others, singing country songs about the plights they were in. Seemed as though anyone could relate. Not anymore ,because I would think of southerners who may hate me because they believe what they hear on talk radio.

We also listened to Bob Dylan sing "The Times they are a Changin' " and it sounded like it would be written today. Angry, telling people to get out of the way because new ways are coming. Actually, I feel more in tune with the Dylan song--the times ARE changing. We tried to make things better, more help for the less fortunate, more opportunities, more equality. Some of that was accomplished and now some are trying to take it away.

Times are always going to change. We hope that it will be for the better. I still feel like saying that if you don't want to make things better, then better get out of the way! We are going to get universal health care, like it or not. We will not have Social Security or Medicare taken away, like it or not. We will have immigration reform and we will find better ways to keep illegals out and let qualified legal immigrants in. Things are going to change. (Just some random thoughts...but things do not stay the same.)
If Hank Williams saw what a douche his kid (HW Jr) has become, he'd be ashamed

Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
When do Republicans talk about fair living wages, equal pay, good schools, free child care for working parents?
Or about racial disparity in wealth and black people disproportionally on death row and jailed? You don’t hear that because they don’t think that way they don’t want those things.
Since when don't Republicans want fair living wages and equal pay, good schools, etc.? Why should parents get free child care at the expense of other people aka the taxpayer? Racial disparity in wealth? No matter what race you are it's up to you to create that yourself by going to school and planning a good paying career.

From the stats I have read percentage wise to their population numbers blacks do commit the most crimes so what should we do allow them not to face justice? How is that a Republican controlled thing?

If the Democrats want fair living wages then why do they fight for illegal aliens to remain here that reduce wages for blue collared workers? Why do they fight having a wall to keep them from getting in here and opposed e-verify the last time that the Republicans presented a bill for it in congress?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The time for women to control their bodies is before engaging in sex. There is no excuse for getting pregnant these days when there is so much birth control around. Just because a consenting couple were careless and didn't take precautions there is no conflict in conservatives being opposed to abortion and not wanting to support kids that the parents should be supporting. By doing so we are just enabling and encouraging irresponsible behavior.
Baby steps here (pun intended). A woman does not get HERSELF pregnant. A man and a woman have sex and that can get the woman pregnant.

Birth control pills may have side effects--who wants to be taking hormones???? Could have life lasting effects. Maybe men should take a birth control pill? There are condoms too, for men. If neither the man or the woman wants to use them, that is their choice. And if they didn't use any prevention, we believe they should be able to terminate the pregnancy within the first few months.

Having an extra kid to support can put a financial strain on a family and the strain could destroy the family. If they're not married, the man usually leaves and goes on with his life. The woman often ends up on welfare. How is that fair? And we have to pay for that when the man should be paying for it.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I disagree with your post.

To me, Democrats want to be able to dictate every detail in people's lives. They think that the individual is powerless to do for himself, and see the government as the overarching provider and protector. I have a huge problem with the killing of unborn babies, and especially the recent push again for late-term abortions. Democrats don't think that law abiding citizens should be able to have access to guns for self-defense or sport. Democrats are pushing a narrative that white males are nothing but racist, sexist, homophobes and islamaphobes, and that these things are huge problems in our society. I don't buy it. Not only is it not what I experience on a daily basis, but it is a false attack on who I am and what I believe.
The Democrats do NOT want to dictate anything to anybody. They just want everybody to have equal rights and equal freedom. It is when people like you want to deny them their rights, such as abortion rights and the right of control over their own bodies, to vote, to have equal access to housing, to be safe from sexual harassment and gun violence, that they need the Government to step in and dictate to you what the law is.

You are against abortions and yet you and your Republican leaders think it is fine to put babies and children in cages to be abused and even raped as it is happening right now in this administration. I know you will be ready with your defense, that they are illegal aliens, but that is why Republicans and Democrats can never meet on a level ground. Our moral compasses point in different directions. We see people as people first, trying to live a decent life. You see other people as your enemies.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Conservatives see the government as being set up to defend the Natural Rights of Life, Liberty, and Property. They do not see a fetus as just a part of a woman's body, and so expect the government to protect it. Conservatives do not see it as the government's place or job to provide for every need of the citizens. It isn't that we don't want to help those people, we just don't want the government to decide who gets what.
Because you want essential services and safety nets to be handled by churches who can discriminate against people who don't believe in the right God the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies